Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: O/c Amd 2000+

I am quite the newbie when it comes to O/C and I'm too scared to start without proper info. I have read as much as a I can and know the basics about FSBXMultiplies = CPU speed, changing the FSB in Bios and unlocking a chip (which I wont do), but I need more info. I just purchased a computer and I have an AMD 2000+XP, 512MB DDRRAM 333Mhz 2700, 40gb hd (all i need) AT Radeon 7500 AIW, and a ECS L7S7A2 mobo (I think, damn no name company).

Anyway, my basement is fairly cold and my comp runs at about 45 degrees, so I was wondering what my o/c should be. I just want to do a little to get my feet wet, no hardware case fans and stuff. I also want to know about my DDRRAM, making sure I am getting the most out of it. I don't want to o/c my CPU and have my ram run slower. Also, 1:1 ratio in BIOS for ram and CPU.

Finally, how would I go about doing this? I can change my FSB in BIOS in increments of 1 (so 133, 134, 135) and I can change my voltage in increments of 1.5%,3% and 5%.

Thanks guys, sorry bout the long post but I know you guys are great at this stuff. Thanks a bundle!

Youwont have much luck with that ECS board, youll have to get CPUFSB or another Windows software based program to do anything. ECS doenty give any o/cing options in the BIOs, its basically an OEM board, which is what computer manufactureres use. PCChips, ECS, and Biostar are not good if ya wanna overclock

So far though, I have upped the FSB to 145 and gotten it to 1.7 Ghz for 1.667, so there is room for overclocking. Why do you say there isn't?:afro:

if ya got overclocking options, it sure as hell isnt ECS, just slowly bump up the FSB and run some stress tests. You can prolly bump it up 5-7 mhz a time. If ya run into a roadblock,up ya voltages by .1, maybe .15 if needed. Let us know how far ya get.

You can probably almost hit a 166fsb, since ya got pc2700 ddr.

As for temps, i try to stay under 45C, but ya arent pushing it till id say 55C, but to increase its life, go out and buy ya a full copper heatsing and fan, preferable the Volcano 7+, whice sells for around $20-$25 in the US

ECS did give some boards a few rudimentry overclockin' options though very crude and limited.

My mobo manual says that in the BIOS, I can't change the FSB of voltage settings, and it looked like they were right when I opened the BIOS, but I decided to give it a shot, and it worked. I clicked it a bit up to 145, and I now run a 1700Mhz! THink I can go higher than this? I originally went all the way up to 166, but it didn't even load Windows, so what should I try next? And is uping the voltage a good option?

I think 150MHz is ya next step ain't it so see what happens there as it either will or it's clear CMOS time. :devil win

i would recomend going in small steps maybe 2-4mhz at a time. if you make big jumps, you dont really know how much to throttle back next time.

I recently got it up to 150, and it is stable without even upping the voltage! Thx guys! What do you think I can ge to next? I am just upping the FSB, so I want to make sure that nothing is wrong. I'm not supposed to be playing with any ratios or ram or video card settings, am I? And other suggestions, please leave em. THX!

PS. I just ran 3dMark2001 and I jumped my score by 21 points (3233 to 3254). Is this any good or is it not even worth it? I know these aren't good scores, so don't make fuN!

For your type of video card that sounds a good score to me though many other video cards would leave it for dead but we do get what we can afford.

Thread Information