Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: OC the 2500+ at 3200+ speeds?

ohh pfft u AMD guys just dont get it...not racking you i just like to get the best performance at the time when i buy i got a mix of amd and intel boxes at my house, anyway, just get the p4c with the 800fsb, then get a asus p875p oc the ram to 300mhz (only prob there is finding ram good enough) cheapass ram, ok even at cl2.5 mode ur still running 1.2ghz fsb, or get the abit 8knxp i875p mobo and oc the ram all the way up to 355mhz..oh whats that...1420 bus? wow..that just bus speed, whats the core at..3905, by my calcs, mind u ud need a killer cooling system, even if u did get the amd up to 300mhz ud still only be running at 600mhz bus, v.good for an amd, devide by, lets say 12-13x multiplier for the core and ur getting around 3750+/- now without the fsb to support such high processing power its no good. i still think the intel will go rings around that amd `barton` core, i read the same article u guys did, and i also read everyone mocking amd for there naming thing, i seen 2.4A's outperform that "3200+" (i think there pushing it with that plus there) now what i will give amd MAD props on is how they can be so efficiant with so little mhz, (good job amd) just like ati, less mhz same +/- performance... {greatz to my peeps from IRC-land}:2cents:

ZEROKOOL you're the one who doesn't get it (certain horses for certain courses) and for what I do my overclocked 2.4B doesn't do the job as well as my 1800 (plus my 2600 goes even harder) for what I use them for. BTW I've more Intel systems here than AMD's so I'm far from bias that way.

One of the big reasons is cost. How much does the new Intel chipset/CPU combo compare to a 2500+ with an ASUS Nforce2 mobo? I think anyone here would concede that the Intel CPU is a damn fine chip but certainly it's value is debatable.

The other is that we are hobbyists. We are not poor folks who can't afford to buy faster equipment (maybe some are), but we gain personal satisfaction from taking less costly options and cranking them up to the performance level of a much more expensive pre-built system. AMD seems to be more amicable to this sort of user.

I personally am just as impressed with a person who can get 1.4GHz out of a 1.0GHz machine as I am with someone who can get 3.6GHz out of a 3.0GHz machine.

Maybe when we all proudly post our 3DMark03 scores we could also attach a "cost per 1000marks" figure as a measure of the value of our custom built rigs! :thumb:

Such figures could also help us more accurately ascertain the value of various upgrades such as when comparing graphics cards.
    ASUS A7N8X Deluxe, Athlon Barton 2500+ with SLK-800 and 4800rpm 80mm fan, ATi 9700Pro(AIW), Dual 256MB Corsair XMS 3200c. Seagate Barracuda SATA. 200MHz fsb with 11X multiplier, RAM latency: 2,2,2,5

well there woody_87th you do have a good point there, and i understand you completely, seeing as that i have sucked the life out of this dell optiplex 150 (1ghz p3) im now after a machine that don't slow down, no matter what i tell it to do, and for now price isnt a problem. but i am quite impressed with someone who can get a amd 2500+ to perform like a 3200+, and same with chips of less ghz, just after reading articles in both real physical magazines and internet alike, i dont see the amd 3200+ as a good chip at all. just lookin on pricewatch.com i see that the 3200+ is 449 and that p4c 3.0 is 414...now amd has the upperhand because they cut there own throat and sacrafice profit just to stay in the game, 2500,333bus for 91$...GOOD DEAL!p4 2.4c runs 175, and p4b runs 154, thats what 75% more? i just dont think getting a 2500 to run like a 3200 is a big deal, seeing is that a 2.4p4b without OC can easily outperform that 3200+ in most tasks.:wave:

That's a very subjective statement. I'm a gamer and that's what I care mostly about. Generally P4's do well in multimedia content creation since such applications are very clock speed dependent. I really don't want to get into this debate since as you clearly pointed out the 2500 is vastly cheaper than just about anything else in it's performance class.

Price matched against performance can be plotted as a curve and represented mathematically as value. I usually find my "sweet spot" somewhere in the $100 range for CPUs since when you go above that number the price increases rapidly for minimal performance gain and below that number the performance drops rapidly with minimal savings in cost. The "sweet spot" for P4s seems to run about 50-60% higher in cost.

I was actually so excited about the release of the 2500+ that I broke my own rule and purchased it early on when the cost was still running slightly higher than it should. I don't regret that decision since the extra $30-$40 I spent has given me almost two months more enjoyment out of it. On the other hand my graphics card has been the same cost since I first bought it about five months ago so I lucked out there! :laugh:

Just keep in mind that the competition between Intel and AMD or between Nvidia and ATi benefits all of us and we would never want one company to dominate the entire chip market. Imagine if CPUs were only as reliable as Microsoft Windows? :p
    ASUS A7N8X Deluxe, Athlon Barton 2500+ with SLK-800 and 4800rpm 80mm fan, ATi 9700Pro(AIW), Dual 256MB Corsair XMS 3200c. Seagate Barracuda SATA. 200MHz fsb with 11X multiplier, RAM latency: 2,2,2,5

Damn Woody, You just keep on coming with the good points :D :D :D Anyways, The 3200+ is only bad in SSE2 enabled tasks, such as some content creation. If you look at UT2K3, it steps all over 3.0 P4C's.
    <font color=orange>AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton (166*11=1883MHz) -|- Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev2.0 -|- Corsair XMS PC3200 512 MB RAM 2T-3-3-6 @DDR333 -|- Leadtek A250 TD GF4 TI 4400 300/630 -|- 40 Gig Quntaum Fireball AP+ -|- 52x Samsung CD-ROM Drive -|- SB Live Digital 5.1 -|- Antec SG case w/350 Watt Power-Up PSU</font>

Quote Originally Posted by ZEROKOOL
    ohh pfft u AMD guys just dont get it...not racking you i just like to get the best performance at the time when i buy i got a mix of amd and intel boxes at my house, anyway, just get the p4c with the 800fsb, then get a asus p875p oc the ram to 300mhz (only prob there is finding ram good enough) cheapass ram, ok even at cl2.5 mode ur still running 1.2ghz fsb, or get the abit 8knxp i875p mobo and oc the ram all the way up to 355mhz..oh whats that...1420 bus? wow..that just bus speed, whats the core at..3905, by my calcs, mind u ud need a killer cooling system, even if u did get the amd up to 300mhz ud still only be running at 600mhz bus, v.good for an amd, devide by, lets say 12-13x multiplier for the core and ur getting around 3750+/- now without the fsb to support such high processing power its no good. i still think the intel will go rings around that amd `barton` core, i read the same article u guys did, and i also read everyone mocking amd for there naming thing, i seen 2.4A's outperform that "3200+" (i think there pushing it with that plus there) now what i will give amd MAD props on is how they can be so efficiant with so little mhz, (good job amd) just like ati, less mhz same +/- performance... {greatz to my peeps from IRC-land}:2cents:
    Actually, you still get the same performance from the FSB. This is becasue the CPU talks to the northbridge at the same speed, but it can access the memory at 533 MHz, It can still only "talk" to the NB at 133MHz though.
    <font color=orange>AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton (166*11=1883MHz) -|- Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev2.0 -|- Corsair XMS PC3200 512 MB RAM 2T-3-3-6 @DDR333 -|- Leadtek A250 TD GF4 TI 4400 300/630 -|- 40 Gig Quntaum Fireball AP+ -|- 52x Samsung CD-ROM Drive -|- SB Live Digital 5.1 -|- Antec SG case w/350 Watt Power-Up PSU</font>

WOW woody, processors, as reliable as windows??thats a sin just thinking that, nevermind saying it, although i am fairly satisfied with winddows in general (being a mcse helps alot) i wouldnt dread of such crappy performace out of a cpu, thats the day i quit computers, and do something worthwhile, like buy a vacume-toob plant...lol, anyway, i here u at the "sweet" spot thing, i wish amd and intel would get together and come up with some numerical numbers that represented something meaningful, like megabytes of data calculated per second, mhz is nice,. but with the way amd work it dont work out well...3200+ doesnt eqal 3200mhz intel, in some instances it whops ass some it dont...ok OT but heres a blurb on pci express for y'all (http://www.intel.com/technology/pcie...xpress_03ww23&)

AMD had the right idea with their PR system to start with but lost the plot with Barton cores though they still only carry out 9 instruction per clock cycle as the others (6 IPC for P4's).

Quote Originally Posted by ZEROKOOL
    i wish amd and intel would get together and come up with some numerical numbers that represented something meaningful
    That'a what people like us are for. The average computer user will never notice any speed difference between any high end systems even at different MHz or speed ratings. Intel's MHz and AMD's numbers are all just marketing strategies and nothing more. It's these discussions here that allow the enthusiasts to know that an AMD 2500+ is probably better than a 2600+ or a 2700+ or that a 3.0GHz P4 can be better than a 3.06MHz P4 or the difference between a thoroughbred and a Palamino.

I really don't like comparing AMDs directly to Intels because there is always too much room for debate. The bottom line is both companies make fine products and they are appealing to different people for different reasons. The CPU is only a part of the overall picture and as I mentioned before, the average PC user would never know the difference.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information