Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: OC the 2500+ at 3200+ speeds?

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog_UK
    Well I maybe a little off on the dsates but it was an example, I bought my first barton on the3rd of january this year, bartons have been out longer than 4month and i have had one 6 month ago, I work in a retail shop and get these chips before they are on sale to the puplic, not months before but a little before but thankyou for your concern and I can assure you there was guys who had this chip even before january so just thought I would clear that up, if I thought I was going to be interigated I would have gotten the date down to the secound lol but never mind.
    it was released to the puplic on around 9th or 10 feb and i had mine on jan 3rd, I allso had a radeon 9800pro 256mb 4 weeks before its puplic release and that is the perks of the job, I wase'nt going to even explain this to you as I dont have to justify when I have my products to you or anyone els and if you chose not to beleave me then thats your problem not mine but I am going to look for a web site i viseted in january to show you a post I nade back then when I got my barton just so you feel at ease ok, my advice has allways been good and I have many friends in this business and have helped alot of people and can be doing without people like you quizzing what i have had and when but every town has one. I live in the uk and vice city was out in the us 3 month before here in the uk but i had mine the same time as the us did but hey there is ways and means right or is that just a mith lol
    Bulldog_UK

BA.

I have a kt400 gigabyte with my 2500+barton on it and I wase'nt getting no ware near the timings i can get on my Epox board, gigabyte dont have very good ability to overclock or at least there options are limited for this type of thing allso The Asus boards seem to be picky with multipliers which limits you when overclocking a Barton and there are so many semi-reliable accounts of WHY the A7N8X does such odd things with the multipliers... I dont have an asus mobo so I would'nt know that much abou them just what I have picked up of friends but your best bet is to find an overclcoking forum with people who have your mobo and who have the 2500+barton and they will give you a better acount of how do help you with this, baring in mind not every board clocks the same and the same gose for the cpu but hopfully yours will be ok, anyway have alook at this info and hope it helps you. You can find the 'core code' (sometimes refered to as the 'stepping code', though technically it's not a stepping in the true sense of the word) located on the black label at the edge of a Barton AthlonXP. Should look something like:

AXDA2500DKV4D
    AQXDA0317MPMW
    Y7221970235

Here is a brief guide to understanding these 3 lines of code on AMD processors:

AXDA2500DKV4D - 1st line

AXD ---- AMD Athlon XP Processor

A ------ desktop processor

2500 -- model number or performance rating (PR)

D ------ package type (D =OPGA)

K ------ default voltage (L=1.50V, U=1.60V, K=1.65V)

V ------ max die temp (T=90oC, V=85oC)

4 ------ L2 cache (3=256KB, 4=512KB)

D ------ default FSB (C=266MHz, D=333MHz)

AQXDA0317MPMW - 2nd line

AQXDA is the 'core code'. As a general rule when comparing 'core codes' that have the same starting letter (ie A), then the higher up the alphabet the other letters are, the better it is. Thus AQXDA should be better than AQXCA. However, when the starting letter differs, the one with the starting letter lower down the alphabet seems to do better, even if the other letters are higher. Thus AQXCA should do better than JQXDA. So the best cores seem to always start with an 'A'.

0317, the 4 numbers after the core code refer to the date of manufacture. The first 2 numbers refer to the year and the second 2 numbers refer to the week. In the above case 03=2003 and 17=week 17. Generally the newer the processor the better it should be. So you might find a week 17 AQXDA that overclocks better than a week 10 one. Though some weeks tend to be better than others.

MPMW, the 4 characters AFTER the manufacture date some are suggesting might also be an indicator on how good a core is. That ones with 'MPMW' seem to be considered the best by many, but no real evidence to suggest they are.

Y7221970235 - 3rd line

The third line has been suggested as stating the production line (first character, ie Y) and some kind of batch and serial number identifier (ie 7221970235). Certainly the first character of the third line in the past has been used suggest good overclocking cores. Ones with letters (Y, K, etc) would seem to overclock a bit better than ones with numbers (9, 7, etc). Y's used to be the best overall, though this was only noted by studying T-Bird Athlons. No study has been done to see if this holds true with AthlonXPs, so most only go by 'core code' and date of manufacture now

Currrently the best cores for AthlonXP (Barton) processors are:

AQXEA

AQXDA

AQXCA (seen on XP3200+)

AQUCA (seen on early XP2500+, XP2800+, XP3000+)

AIUAA (seen on XP2500+ ES)

Early samples of XP2500+ Barton 'AQUCA' has been seen running at 2.2 @ 1.65v with just good aircooling. Some users have got XP2500+ Bartons running at 2.2GHz (default Vcore) and 2.3GHz @ 1.74v or 1.85v with air cooling. A website has shown a Barton XP2500+ 'AQUCA' 0306 MPM overclock to 2.3GHz at default Vcore (1.65v) and 2.4GHz at 1.7v, but was using watercooling. Review samples of XP3000+ using the 'AQUCA' core have been hitting 2.3-2.4GHz default Vcore and 2.5GHz @ 1.85v with just good aircooling. However, seems some users are finding Bartons (at least the early ones) very inconsistent in terms of overclockability, even within the same batch. Many 'AQUCA' cores overclock only to 2.1-2.3GHz, while others overclock to 2.3-2.5GHz. It's been suggested apart from the possible newness of the Barton being responsible and more recent Barton cores should do better, that the 512k L2 cache of the Barton also takes it's toll on overclockability. hope this helps and good luck again bulldog.
    Bulldog_UK

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information