Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: How to OverClock My Machine?

I've recently assembled my own machine (for the first time).
    Motherboard : ASUS A7N266-VM/AA
    Processor : AMD Athlon XP 2200+
    RAM : Kingston PC-2100 512MB
    Video Card : nVidia GeForce2 MX / MX400
    Hard Disk : My previous Dell computer's Hard Disk - Seagate.

I have left the Motherboard jumper settings to whatever was the default (which I think is 133-133).

I haven't ever done over-clocking before, but I am slightly familiar with it's concepts, although I do not know the exact details. I do know one thing for sure is that I would screw up my machine, if I do not have a proper cooling systems for my processor. (My cooling is currently the default Heat Sink and Fan that came with my Processor.)

How do I do it? Help Please!!! :confused:

Thanks,
    Srini

U do it by going into the bios(usually pressing Del or something on startup) and increasing the front side bus speed(fsb) in small incraments. You may also need to increase the core voltage settings in order to push more power through the processor. But remember to go up slowly and test after every incrament. If the pc starts to show any heating problems under a load go back down:thumb:
    P.S. Wait until one of the AMD pros responds as u may need to unlock the multiplier etc:thumb:
    What the fcuk happened to my sig?

I was told that you need to find a board that doesn't up the pci and agp fsb when you up the board's fsb cause it can cause freezing on your pci cards. I tried overclocking with a gigabyte 7vrxp and it messed up my wireless modem and my audigy 2. Worked fine after I returned the fsb to normal andre-plugged them in. What's a good board to overclock with?
    SuCk iT tReBeK!

I think the gigabyte nforce 2 is a good one but i'm an intel boy so i'm not sure. So come on wheres wiggo when ya need him:laugh:
    What the fcuk happened to my sig?

Well - Isn't someone gonna help me out here???

Gigabyte never made an nforce2 board, not yet at least.
    SuCk iT tReBeK!

Could someone please talk about my configuration?

Motherboard - ASUS A7N266-VM/AA
    Processor - AMD Athlon XP 2200+
    RAM - Kingston PC-2100 512 MB
    Video Card - nVIDIA GeForce2 MX/400 (Although my motherboard provides for a built-in video, I still use my video card from my old computer - a Dell PC)
    Hard Disk - SeaGate (from my old pc)
    BIOS - Award Phoenix 1006 version (latest from ASUS Website).

Yesterday, I tried to move my jumper settings, but all it really did was only bring down my clock processor speed from 1.8 GHz to 1.32 GHz. My frequence for CPU:DRAM is 133:133.

Any help on how to increase the speed of my PC?
    More specifically - How do I increase the FSB, how to increase the voltage to CPU? What else should I be increasing and how to do that?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Srini76
    Well - Isn't someone gonna help me out here???
    I really am not familiar with the older Nforce-1 chipset you are using but with the slow RAM and the older mobo you don't have a lot of options.

The stock fans that come with the Athlons are ok for stock use but they tend to run the CPU even hotter than I like my overclocked CPU to run at so I wouldn't recommend trying to clock that thing in it's current configuration unless you are looking for an excuse to go out and buy a new system. That excuse being you melted you current system. ;)

If you are intested in overclocking I would recommend going out and picking up a new motherboard that supports 400MHz RAM and some PC3200 RAM to go with it.

I recommend the NForce-2 chipset and ASUS makes the most popular mobo with that chipset (A7N8X). The other option is the VIA KT400 chipset and you have several options for mobos there but I'm not personally as familiar with those except you should get KT400b rather than the earlier ones.

You would also want to install an aftermarket quality heatsink, preferably copper, and a fan with more airflow.

The CPU you have is probably a good one and with the correct motherboard and some high quality RAM you should find success boosting that baby by a significant amount.

You would probably get away with clocking it on your present system and running it hot for while but you are likely going to significantly shorten the life of your CPU for negligable gains.

Thread Information