Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Inquiring OC Noob

Hi all, I'm just beginning to learn about the overclocking world and have read a few beginner guides and what not, along with doing some "forum browsing" here and at other places as well. The computer I would like to start working on is a Dell 4550, P4 2.53ghz 533mhz FSB with the Intel 845PE chipset. So far, it seems like my OC dreams are likely limited to say the least, if even possible.

At the time of purchasing I didn't realize the machines were so crippled or I would have done things diffferent....isn't hindsight always 20/20?

My question is, aside from the brickwalls I have already hit, does anyone know if there are any possible OC mods I can perform on this machine. It seems like there would be a way to reverse engineer anything. So my deepest apologies for what has to be like playing a broken record, but any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    LogixRat
    :)

If ya willin' to do some homework then google for a program called SoftFSB as it maybe the only chance that ya have short of scrappin' the mobo and PSU plus possibally the case as well.

You know I recently talked my Dad out of buying a Dell for his business. Not that I felt they were junk but because I knew I could build him something for less money or at least the same money and I love to build computers! :D

I went out and got him an ASUS A7N8X and an AMD Athlon 2400+ along with some Samsung PC2700 RAM (512MB) and a nice fast ATA hard drive and threw it all into a cool looking case with a cute little glowing fan on the side and a window! :D

Since he had never seen anything like that he wasn't too sure what to expect and with the matching silver/black keyboard and monitor he had something that not only equalled the Dell but looked cooler too. I also customized his installation of Windows with his favorite websites and software pre-installed and all the spyware and advertising trashed as it should be.

I have no plans to overclock his machine but somehow I feel more comfortable knowing that the potential is under the hood and he can sense my appreciation for the technology.

As far as tech support: what would you rather have? A Dell phone operator (or intern ;)) reading from a script telling you how to reimage your hard drive or a knowledgable family member who has a personal interest in your computing experience and can patch in via remote control.

My point to you is your machine is not a bad one....don't fry it by doing stuff to it that Dell has taken precautions against. It is a machine built to exact specs with little or no overhead for the hobbyist. It was designed to get maximum performance for minimal cost. Enjoy it for what it is.

If you really want to get into hardware tinkering I would say the personal rewards are great and would encourage you all the way.;)

Arrrr mates, thanks for the quick and courteous replies, they are much appreciated!!

Kind of cool I hear mention of this SoftFSB program. About 10-15 minutes after posting here, I did a Google search for "Dell overclocking" and found another thread that made reference to the same program. I haven't had a chance to thoroughly check the proggie out yet, but I am keeping my fingers crossed it will help me break into the OC world.

Just outta curiousity, has anyone here actually had any experience with the program? From my very brief review of the program, it sounded sorta sketchy but again I haven't really tested it so I guess time will tell. Nonetheless, personal experiences are the best, if there are any to be shared.

And Woody, yes I agree, building my own computer would have probably provided a better overall unit. The thing is I got caught up in the alure of the Dell because I get an employer discount, plus at the time there were around $275 in rebates. So all together I had around $350 or so in "free money". It quickly brought down the cost of the rig to less than $450 and then I sold an older Apple B&W G3/350 for around $300. When combined with some of the features I got with the Dell (16x DVD, 48x CDRW, 64mb vid w/ TV out and base model speakers w/ sub) I'm not sure I could have built cheaper.

Of course, then I wouldn't be whining about trying to overclock the impossible either. :o Oh well, live and learn right?

In regards to the Dell support and warranty, I could careless. I doubt I will ever call them as I try to fix things myself or have friends that can help me. For this reason, I didn't get suckered into the extended warranties (and dang, some of those sales reps don't like you rejecting warranties!). So yeah, I do want to learn for fun and also just to test my abilities. I like pushing things to the envelope and feel bored if I don't have a new project, so I was looking for something new and hence this post. ;)

In regards to scrap'n the case, PSU and mobo in turn for some new equipment, what would be everyone's recommendations and estimated costs. If the costs are low enough, and I can use all my other existing parts then I might seriously consider it.

Again, many thanks!

Take care,
    LogixRat
    P-)

I didn't mean to bash on your Dell equipment....no doupt you got a lot of hardware for the money. I hate to see you melt something when the PC is very useable as it is....It may be harder to fix than a home built.

And yeah those extended warranties are just gravy for the sales reps...they get most of the cost as pure commission since all they have to do is reimage your hard drive when you bring it in for service anyway!! :D Hell I'll do that for a hundred bucks!! :D

On the other hand if you do melt something you can always send it back and say..."what do you mean overclock? what does overclock mean?!" :D

Hehe, no need for apologies, I never thought you were bashing the equipment, I was just noting the obvious. I didn't want anyone thinking I was under the misconception that I had a serious overclockable machine. I know I don't, I'm just looking to "tinker" around and see if I can get anything out of the thing. If not, then like you said, she runs fast and stable as is but it's just the desire to push it to the limits, ya know.

I am sure some sales reps aren't as bad as the first one I got but she honestly refused to take my order over the phone because I declined on the warranty. Told me I would be better off doing it online. I told her I didn't want to do that, and I hear "click". Boy, was I hacked. If it was possible, I woulda reached through the phone and slapped the living daylights outta that heifer. Almost thought about ditching Dell altogether because of that rep, but my buddy talked me into giving them a 2nd chance. Then I got a guy, and he was cool and didn't give me any grief over the warranty at all. Actually made the experience pleasurable all things considered.

Haha, so yeah, I don't have a tolerance for Dell junkie reps. Everytime I have had to call for myself or relatives, I get the same "text book" answer you referenced. It's pathetic, and it's like they are deaf because they don't care that you already tried that solution 10x over again. *Sigh*...oh well. So yeah, screw their tech support. Between forums and my IT geek buddies at work I'll be okay.

About the only thing worse is my boss paying for a nice 3 year warranty, and then calling me everytime something goes amiss so I can fix the problem and contact Gateway if he needs a new part! If I get to be tech support, then I think I get the warranty $$. Of course, he doesn't agree...hehe.

Oh well, peace out.

Take care,
    LogixRat
    P-)

Thread Information