Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Overclocking an AthlonXp 2500+

I just orded one from newegg, along with an Asus n7n8x and I have one simple question regarding multiplier unlocking...is it just a matter of the motherboard allowing you to set the multiplier regardless of AMDs precations or is there a method invloving a wire on the pins that is required?

Certain motherboards will allow you to OC the multiplier, like the 8RDA+, but if yours does not, you will have to connect certian bridges on the processor.

Here is a link for the THG Video on how to unlock the processor
    http://www4.tomshardware.com/column/20011124/index.html

one of the more recent bios updates allows multiplier unlocking for athlon XP chips

...but this is all I know, I do not know if it pretains to all the cores (palamino, t-bred b, & barton)

infact that is a question I would like answered...does it unlock ALL athlon XP chips?

i'm sure it doesn't unlock palaminos, but I'd still like a definative answer
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

I havn't known a Thunderbird or Palamino to work without 1st unlockin' it but a Barton and Thoroughbred don't need it with that mobo.

To the best of my knowledge, anything after the thorougbreds will work without unlocking.

If you want to clock the thunderbirds or palaminos you can probably try upping the FSB and leaving the multiplier alone to get good results. Just make sure you keep an eye on your RAM performance to make sure you are actually benefitting from what you are doing.

ok, thanks alot, i think its safe to assume that the asus a7n8x will require no unlocking...i can't wait.:thumb:

A7n8x unlocks the multiplier and adds 200 fsb when u upgrade your bios to a new one.

it happen on mine, i never thought i could overclocked it since as far as i know you have to join the bridges on the cpu to unclocked it, all it take was a bios upgrade and evrything is naked hehe:flames:

Thread Information