Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My OC results

Well i am definantly oing for the XMS3500, i had already had a peep at their site and looked up the product specs for it.. certainly beats my kingmax stick :D

and i have decided to definantly go for an nForce2 board.. now i'm not dure whether i wanna buy 2 512 or 256 sticks of XMS3500.. i guess it will all depend on the size of my tax cheque this year! :devil:
    'Life is what you make of it'

For system specs goto my webpage, and have a lookie under the 'pc specs' area

Kinda looks like the thread has come to a close but I'll add something to it anyway :p My AMD system is very fast. As you can from my sig its not as good as my P4 system due to the graphics card being a complete slug. Untill last Sunday I only had 1x 256mb of pc2700 Ram in there. When I got the extra Dimm and BLIMEY did it go! It loads everything far faster than my P4! Only problem is its a seti cruncher at the moment as the graphics card is preventing from being a really fast games machine.

cool :)
    'Life is what you make of it'

For system specs goto my webpage, and have a lookie under the 'pc specs' area

So, my boss gets a new system and is talking to me about overclocking it... plus we get new development boxes and since we picked all the components ourselves with the intent of overclocking... so anyway I had my system set up fine 'n dandy and now I've got the OC bug again. So here's where I started and what I did:

- First, got the latest rev of Sandra and baselined my system. Currently running 210FSB, stock voltages, 3-3-3-6 on my memory.

- Changed memory to 3-3-3-11. That improved my memory bandwidth all of .5%. :laugh:

- Started bumping the FSB. Benchmarked at 215 and 220.

- Changed the CPU timing to "Aggressive" instead of "Optimal". I don't know how I missed that on the first go last year, but it gave me about 6% improvement on memory bandwidth. Now that's worth celebrating!

- At 223Mhz FSB, W2K blue-screened during boot. I bumped Vdimm from 2.63 to 2.77 gigawatts. Err, I mean volts.

- At 228Mhz FSB, W2K blue-screened during boot again. I dropped back to 225 for stability's sake.

Temperatures are fine. Now I'm wondering.... Should I increase Vdimm again to 2.90? What about changing memory timings again, say 3-3-4-11 or 3-4-3-11 or 3-4-4-11? Perhaps I should increase CPU or chipset voltage?

I'm not really that interested in seeing how far I can push things. And I especially don't care to break anything, most especially my unlocked Barton. But if I can toss in a few more tweaks with a comfortable safety margin, I'm willing to give it a try. Any thoughts you all have are appreciated. Thanks!

Oh, here are the numbers from Sandra's combined performance index wizard:

Initial (FSB 210):
    CPU Arith: 11881
    CPU Multimedia: 43140
    Memory: 5773

Final (FSB 225, timing=Aggressive, Vdimm=2.77):
    CPU Arith: 12705 (6.94%)
    CPU Multimedia: 46137 (6.95%)
    Memory: 6595 (14.24%)

The percentage values are percent improvement, in other words (new - original) / original.

Update: After further testing it appears I'm not entirely stable at 225Mhz. I'm going to drop down to 220Mhz. But I may go back and try to play with memory timings or voltages... depending on what you guys suggest.
    Barton 2500+
    Epox 8RDA+
    2x Apacer 256MB PC3200
    Igloo 2500Pro
    Radeon 7500 64MB (not a gaming machine)
    O/C: 220FSB, 10.5 CPU multiplier

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information