Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My OC results

My system includes:

Epox 8RDA+ motherboard, rev 1.1
    Athlon XP 2500+ (barton core)
    Apacer 256MB PC3200 DDR400 x2
    Igloo 2500Pro HSF

I've overclocked to:

FSB: 225Mhz
    CPU multiplier: 10.5
    Memory: 100%, 6-3-3-3

I'm getting:

SANDRA memory bandwidth: 3419/3180
    SANDRA CPU arithmetic: 8868/3563

Questions:
    - Does this seem like a stable configuration to you?
    - What could I do to improve performance?

Thanks,
    Thomas

Very nice! :thumb:

So you are running that CPU at around 2.36GHz? Not bad. I'm running my Corsair 3200 RAM at 200MHz with 2,2,2,5 and getting around 3100-3200 bandwidth but that's pretty much stock speed for that RAM. I'm thinking that I may try increasing my FSB to see how it runs.

What kind of temperatures are you running at? Vcore voltage?

Deciding if you want to improve performance is up to you. If you temperatures are high and your voltage is high you are stressing the chip harder but maybe not hard enough to make any difference in the long run. I'm very comfortable at 2.2GHz and have no stability problems here but I'm sure I could push it if I wanted. I may do that just to see but I'll probably settle back to my current settings for normal use. At this point I'm getting much better results at performance improvements by tweaking my graphics card. I managed to break 5500 3DMark03 points with my ATi 9700Pro yesterday by tweaking it up a little. Since I'm a gamer those are the results that interest me the most.
    ASUS A7N8X Deluxe, Athlon Barton 2500+ with SLK-800 and 4800rpm 80mm fan, ATi 9700Pro(AIW), Dual 256MB Corsair XMS 3200c. Seagate Barracuda SATA. 200MHz fsb with 11X multiplier, RAM latency: 2,2,2,5

Temps are good, about 45C under load. Default voltages for everything. Wish I had your RAM.

I decided to drop back to 220Mhz last night. It just feels safer, and I'll never notice the 2% or so difference. Heck it's still OC'd by about 25%....

I'd encourage you to try boosting your FSB. With my cheap memory I had to run the FSB at 190Mhz just to get 6-3-3-2.5. I got way better performance at 225Mhz and 6-3-3-3. (In fact I think even 200Mhz was better.) So I'd guess that even if you have to run your memory at 6-3-3-3 the boost in FSB makes it worth it. Don't be afraid to lower your CPU multiplier to get a higher FSB. I got better performance at 225/10.5 than 215/11.

-Thomas

I just placed an order for an barton based xp2500, and after reading this thread i reconi have a good idea of what i should be able to get out of it :)

Quote Originally Posted by sparksta
    I just placed an order for an barton based xp2500, and after reading this thread i reconi have a good idea of what i should be able to get out of it :)
    Hey congrats man! You did the right thing! :thumb:

Let us know how it works out for you. What RAM are you going to run with it and what mobo?
    ASUS A7N8X Deluxe, Athlon Barton 2500+ with SLK-800 and 4800rpm 80mm fan, ATi 9700Pro(AIW), Dual 256MB Corsair XMS 3200c. Seagate Barracuda SATA. 200MHz fsb with 11X multiplier, RAM latency: 2,2,2,5

A 512mb stick of Kingmax DDR2700 with a nice set of vantec heat spreaders and an MSI KT3-Ultra2 until i get around to buying an MSI KT4-Ultra

Although i was thinking i might try something different and try out the nForce 2 range with an Epox EP-8RDA+, but MSI has served me quite well thus far, I guess harware reviews and a few comments on the odd forum will have to make up my mind :)
    'Life is what you make of it'

For system specs goto my webpage, and have a lookie under the 'pc specs' area

Well an nForce2 based system with only 1 stick of memory will give ya the same performance as a KT400/A based one. 2 sticks and it's see ya later. MSI also have an nForce2 mobo.

I'm using the ASUS 87N8X deluxe (Nforce2) and have built three systems on it so far. I would buy it again before any other mobo since I've had such good luck with it. One of the advantages of that mobo is its popularity. You can always find someone around here who has one and can help you tweak it.

It has pretty much every feature that any other card has and the on board sound is hands down the best integrated audio ever made (IMHO :D ).

I strongly recommend 3200 RAM especially if you buy a 400MHz mobo since the 2500+ runs very nicely at that FSB speed and when you sync it with your RAM you will get a good performance boost.

Well about the MSI nForce 2, i havent heard much talk about it, whether it be good or bad, and i have learned well to trust what i hear from other people's experiences with a board and hardware reviews compared to all the goodies the manafacturers tell us about :)

And when it comes to the Epox EP-8RDA+, everyone seems to thinks its quite good, same goes for the
    Asus 87N8X :D

Although in the end i would defiantly prefer just to stick with an MSI KT4 based system, i have built quite a few systems with these boards, and are yet to encounter any problems caused by them, and are quite good when it comes to tweaking and o/c'ing, even my good 'ol MSI KT3 manages to get a decent speed out of my current duron and ram :)

I was considering upgrading to DDR3200 but i'm not sure what to get though, a 512 stick of Kingmax DDR3200 'Red Super-ram' or Corsair XMS3500 which seems to be already nicely overclocked to 434Mhz for me, but then, that red stick of Kingmax would suit my mobo color.. :D
    'Life is what you make of it'

For system specs goto my webpage, and have a lookie under the 'pc specs' area

Well hell if you can get the XMS3500 go for it!! :cool: Most people have been able to get the 2500+ to run nicely at faster than 400MHz so I'm sure you could take advantage of that RAM. Corsairmemory.com has an informative forum that could help you choose the best RAM sticks for you and to set them up.

All those boards I'm sure are excellent. I can only recommend what I know. I like to stick with what I'm familiar with and maybe that would be best for you too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information