Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a formula for the Vcore voltage?

As in what it should be set to as per the multiplier and the FSB. Or is it all trial and error thrown in with how good your PS is?:confused:

It's trail and error depending on several pieces of hardware. Some CPU's will overclock fairly well without the need for extra voltage and some no matter how much ya feed them they'll just refuse to budge plus the same goes for memory. A lot of overclockin' is just plain pure luck for the most of it. Keepin' the whole system cool is another determinin' factor. I like to up both the mem and core voltages by 0.1v before startin' on them.

Thanks for that. Could a windows error BSOD labeling the APU be related to lack of voltage? System @ the time was 2100+@14x166 w/Vcore 1.725 on a 8rda+

It's entirely possible but it could also be a product of heat.

Hmm, well I guess here comes the trial part. :cheers:

After thought: Is it a worth wile idea to add a HS to the south bridge?

I haven't been hearing that the chipset of that board are benefiting from added cooling.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

How much can I expect the CPU temp to increase for a .1 bump in voltage? A couple degrees? Five? (I have a Barton 2500+ running at 220FSB, 10.5 multiplier, currently at stock voltage.)

I generally use this site to figure processor heat output but they haven't updated to the Barton cores yet. Anyone have anything similar that is up to date?
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

I just found http://www.digital-daily.com/motherb...on/index04.htm. I don't care for the methodology (I would rather see keeping the FSB and multiplier the same while raising the voltage) but I think the conclusion is fair: If you intend to overclock the processor through raising voltage by over 0.1V, then a full-copper radiator is a must.

Okay, just for kicks I'm going to bump my vCore by .1 and see what it does to the temps. I'll post my results later. (If I don't, it means I burned the CPU up ).
    Barton 2500+
    Epox 8RDA+
    2x Apacer 256MB PC3200
    Igloo 2500Pro
    Radeon 7500 64MB (not a gaming machine)
    O/C: 220FSB, 10.5 CPU multiplier

Okay, as promised, my results:

FSB: 220, one case fan
    vCore: 1.65 (1.68) -- 79W, 46C
    vCore: 1.70 (1.74) -- 84W, 50C

FSB: 225, two case fans
    vCore: 1.65 (1.68) -- 81W, 43C
    vCore: 1.70 (1.74) -- 87W, 46C

So from these results it appears that the temperature rose by about 8% for a .5v increase. (Or about 4 degrees.)

Note the effect on wattage of going from 220 to 225FSB.

What's most interesting (to me) is the effect of remembering to plug in the second case fan (on the left side of the case). Although the FSB and vCore were both turned up in the second set, the resulting temperature was the same as for the "coolest" FSB/vCore setting.

Based on my minimal Googling, I'm still in the "safe zone" for temps even at 50C. I'd sure like some additional opinions on that though....

BTW, these numbers are all under load: playing a CD, copying a large directory tree on the HDD, and running Sandra's CPU, memory, multi-media and cache burn-in.

Obviously this is very informal and incomplete testing. If I get ambitious I may drop the FSB in 5Mhz increments a few times to get a decent set of numbers.
    Barton 2500+
    Epox 8RDA+
    2x Apacer 256MB PC3200
    Igloo 2500Pro
    Radeon 7500 64MB (not a gaming machine)
    O/C: 220FSB, 10.5 CPU multiplier

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information