Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Overclocking AMD...in depth

Hey everybody!!!
    Ok... after reading different guides and getting explanations from some of you guys... i have understood how oc works and hwo to make it work.
    But all the things i read were generic. So now i wanted to learn the concepts and tricks..... For example i know that my objective is to rais the fsb and also lower the mult so i can rais the fsb a bit more. and help myself with the vcore.... but how should i know when to change things and by how much? and if i have instability what should i do? How do i understand when im close to the limit or when im at risk? i wanted you experts to help me understand all these things and all the other tricks that there are in oc because i dont think guides are able to do this....

so please help me?!?
    [x] Ximo [x]
    [Beyond Unreal]

|Specs|
    Mobo - Asus a7n8x dx
    CPU - 2400+ | Cool - CoolMaster xDream HAC - V81
    GPU - Hercules 9500
    RAM - DDR333 512meg PC2700
    HDD - Seagate 120gig 7200rpm

well....you should up your FSB around 3-5mhz a time...then run for a day or two,...also running some stress test to determine stability. Just as a start some of us here recommend upping your cpu and ram voltages by .1 to start with. Youll know your close to the limit when you up your fsb, but its instable, and your voltage is high enough to where your almost overheating. By the Way, im not sure...but i dunno if ya wanna raise ya cpu voltage by more than .25, for your own sake.

The basic idea is to make things go faster until the system gets unstable, then back off enough to have a comfortable margin. A few rules-of-thumb:

• Bump the voltage as a last resort and only if you want the maximum performance.
    • Playing with memory timings (RAS/CAS) is a good way to find the CMOS reset jumper on your motherboard. Or to put it another way: if you decrease CAS, set your FSB to 166 before starting to overclock it.
    • Watch your CPU temps, especially under load.
    • The maximum benefit will come from increasing the FSB. Second is the CPU multiplier.
    • It's better to have a high FSB and low multiplier than low FSB and high multiplier.
    • It's better to have high FSB and "slow" memory (6-3-3-3) than low FSB and "fast" memory (5-2-2-2).
    • When you find your sweet spot, run a long-term burn-in to make sure it's good. (24 hours.)
    • Don't forget about room temperature variances -- they can have a significant effect on system temps.

Here's an example, using my own system (Barton 2500+, Epox 8RDA+, 2x Apacer PC3200):

Start at FSB 166 @ 11, memory at 100%, 6-3-3-3. Default voltages. Slowly increase FSB (10Mhz at a time). When it POSTs but won't boot, drop the multiplier by .5. Now we're at 205 @ 10.5. Increase the FSB by 5Mhz increments. It won't boot at 230Mhz, so back down to 225Mhz. At this clock, memory is running at 450Mhz -- pretty darn fast. If I drop the multiplier again and increase the FSB, I'll probably be running the memory too fast. Now I have a choice: do I stick with what I have, or try bumping vCore? If I bump vCore by .05 I can get maybe another 10Mhz in FSB. But IMO this is pushing the system to its limits. So I stick with the stock voltages and drop the FSB to 220 to give myself a bit of breathing room.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
    Barton 2500+
    Epox 8RDA+
    2x Apacer 256MB PC3200
    Igloo 2500Pro
    Radeon 7500 64MB (not a gaming machine)
    O/C: 220FSB, 10.5 CPU multiplier

It's just trial and error really. It's difficult to list some hard and fast rules for determining the limits of your system. All systems will behave differently and your results will vary. Practice makes you better. Reading makes you more knowledgable. Patience makes you smarter.

When you are successful you feel good about yourself and you can post your results here and brag! :D
    ASUS A7N8X Deluxe, Athlon Barton 2500+ with SLK-800 and 4800rpm 80mm fan, ATi 9700Pro(AIW), Dual 256MB Corsair XMS 3200c. Seagate Barracuda SATA. 200MHz fsb with 11X multiplier, RAM latency: 2,2,2,5

In general overclockin' involves a lot of luck so that is why only broad guidelines on the subject can be found as no 2 setups will react the same which is why trail and error plays a big part.

Ok.. trist of all here are my specs: asus a7n8x, 2400+, 512 ddr333
    Then, i tried oc but it does not seem right after what wheeler said. i started at 133Mhz 15x so i went up to 139, everythuing ws fine but at 140 blue sys screen err while booting OS, so i raised the Vcore by .25 (6.75) and it worked. Tried 141 and it froz while loggin me on. so i tried raising the Vcore again, and now it froze after logon wil explorer was loding. now this looked strange cuz u said to rais by 10 Mhz at a time......
    am i duing something wrong is wut???:cry:
    [x] Ximo [x]
    [Beyond Unreal]

|Specs|
    Mobo - Asus a7n8x dx
    GPU - Hercules 9500

Shoot, if ya upped your Vcores by .25 to start with, ya probably overheating. Are you using the Stock AMD Heatsink Fan Assembly? IF not, what are you using? You should raise ya Vcores .1 to start with, then if ya wanna maybe pusha little more out...maybe up it another .05 Do you have any kind of RAM heatsinks on the RAM?

EDIT: Also, id ony raise the FSB by 5mhz at a time

2nd EDIT: Also, iis your RAM timed really quick, and is it set to run the same speed as the CPU, (266mhz stock) instead of jumping out the the DDR333 right off?

In fact full hardware details and memory rating would help a lot to better pinpoint ya problem.

Try lowering the multiplier before raising the voltage. If you do raise the voltage. Make sure you have good cooling. :D
    Dito on the system specs. (post 'em)
    [size=1.5]AMD 2100+ | Epox 8RDA+
    2x256KHX3000 | AreoFlow TMD
    Antec SmartBlue 350watt | 2 TT80mm case fans | WD 120gig
    Maxtor 60gig | FIC 9800pro | Apex Thermally enhanced case [/size]

well.. bout the Vcore i can only change .25 at a time, and i do have a good cooling system (i think) i says it works up to 3000+..... then the ram is synced with he fsb but i do not have a ram heatsink....
    [x] Ximo [x]
    [Beyond Unreal]

|Specs|
    Mobo - Asus a7n8x dx
    GPU - Hercules 9500

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information