Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: General Stability (ASUS P4P800, 2.4C, 3GHz)

ASUS P4P800
    P4 2.4C
    Samsung Memory (2x256MB sticks) K4H560838E-TCCC
    Cheap Power Supply.....

I've clocked the memory all the way to 440MHz, and it seems pretty stable (1:1 clock ratio). This is pretty cool, but I would rather get the CPU to 3GHz, and leave the memory at spec.

So I turned to the 5:4 ratio, and clocked the CPU to 3GHz (250 on the bios cpu clock), mem at 200MHz (3-3-3-7), but prime95 gives me errors.

So I've backed the CPU clock (hence the mem) to 244 and all gets stable. So where do I look to regain stability at 3GHz? I've seen most folk get 3GHz with similar setups, is it my processor, powersupply, MB? I've tried juicing the Vcore to 1.7, and it gets a little bit better. How high can I go, and is this ultimately the right thing to do?

Does everyone get ripples on the 12V line when overclocking and running prime95? I'm getting from 11.85 to 12.2. Is this normal, or is it an indication that my power supply may be my issue?

Any ideas, HOWTO's? I'm interested in playing/learning.

Thanks,
    Jeff

Ya can go up to 1.75v on the CPU (watch ya temps though) and most PSU's will vary like that but your's within the +/-5% tollerance though it's the 3.3 & 5 volt rails that are the most critical.

how about swings in vccore? is that a function of the cpu, the mb, or the power supply?

if i set the vcore to 1.7, once prime95 start it swings (usually down) but still with -5%. :(

The power readings are taken from the mobo but have ya tried increasing ya memory voltage 2.6-2.7v? :?:

haven't played with memory voltage, as i thought i was having a cpu problem (as I've tested the memory to approx 240MHz without issue.

i'll give it a shot now. reboot time......

weeeeeee :D

Thread Information