Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Testing Software

I've heard people talk about buring in the CPU and running tests. What software can I use to max the CPU to test it and the memory for errors?

Thanks. I'm wanting to test my mobo, cpu, and memory before RMAing anything. Will that help me determine if I have a faulty cpu or memory?

I can pretty much assure u that it won't be your CPU. I've built 100's of intel boxes and have yet to come across a bad CPU...

As for memory, I prefer to use memtest 86

If u don't have a floppy, there is a booteable cd version that u can d/l from the memtest home page, just google it.

mobo's tend to either work, or not work, not be flaky in an overclock. Sisoft sandra burn-in test will test all components, including your floppy and cd-rom. U can specify what u want tested.

Thanks for the info. After playing around with my memory timings it seems stable at 233FSB, except for sometimes hanging at post after rebooting. Also I have numerous artifacts in games. So I just wanted to run some tests to see if it remains stable when tests are being run. I'm worried that the mobo may have hurt my Radeon by automatically overclocking the PCI/AGP to run higher. After I realized what it was doing it turned it down to 67/34, the lowest it will let you when overclocking above 200FSB.

I'm running the Burn Wizard right now. How many times should I run it to test for stability?

Ina ddition to SiSoft sandra, there's Prime 95 and of course the futuremark stuff. There's some great item specific stuff to be found on the PC Hardware Forum on Compuserve.

http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm
    http://www.futuremark.com/
    http://forums.compuserve.com/vlforum...SRV=PCHardware

I usally let sisoft burnin over night, say 50 times or so

I use SETI@home + 3DMark'01SE (looped) for burn in purposes. :D

Quote Originally Posted by VinnieVen
    I usally let sisoft burnin over night, say 50 times or so
    I left it running while I was at work today. It finished 50 times. So, the system is stable at 233FSB.

Thread Information