Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unlocking?

I hear that you have to "unlock" some CPU's in order to overclock them. I'm getting an AMD Athlon XP 2500+ with a Barton core and I plan on overclocking it... will I have to unlock it? Is is easy? How do I do it? :scream:

get an nforce2 mobo and it will do it for you ;)
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Asus A7N8X-X :p

With that mobo and CPU combo you will not hav e to unlock it.

The Asus A7N8X-X motherboard is good for overclocking, right?

The mobo is ASUS... so its good, end of line!

For overclocking N-force 2 is good, all the same tweaks in the bios in those cards cauz they run on N-force chipset.

Some overclock better... and cost more, go see tomsHardware (i think), their N-Force motherboard roundup!

Hope that helps!!

yuppers helps me alot thank you :p

If I were to dual channel with 2 sticks of 512 Mb memory (the same Corsair XMS stuff) would it have a way bigger performance increase over just 2 sticks of 256 Mb? And uhh if I were to dual channel any memory at all how much better would it run?

Dual channel DDR get you 5% to 10% increase in speed (more like 5% to me) from single channel DDR, see benchmarks.

having 512 meg is enuph in my opinion but if you have the money, knock yourself out and get 1024 meg! Personnaly i run with 256 meg, not quite enuph but it works!

P.S. Dont get fool, Corsair is good but you can pay less to get better, again see benchmarks!
    One last thing, you dont HAVE to get a 2 dimm kit, 2 same model dimms WILL work in dual channel... that is what i heard!

Correct me if im wrong!

syx, who said anything about a 2 DIMM kit? :confused:

I run 2 x XMS3500 and that was well before a "Twin" pack came out for them though 2 sticks of the same brand, model and size is required. I use Corsair for their extreme timings that they can carry when overclocked (I hate reducin' timings) but that mobo/CPU combo can easily exceed a 200MHz FSB and I was pointin' out that PC3500 would be a better choice though as Corsair was already mentioned I used their model. :p

BTW both my nForce2 setups run quite fine with 2 x 256MB of memory.

Wow cool thanks for the help guys:D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information