Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Overclock my PIII.Please help!!!

I have a PIII 866Mhz GenuineIntel
    128 Mb RAM
    RIVA TNT 2 16 MB
    I DON`T KNOW MY MOTHERBOARD MANUFACTURER

WHAT DO YOU THINK I CAN DO TO IMPROVE MY PC.??
    THANKSS IN ADVANCE...

What do you want to be able to do that you aren't able to now? Or do you just want to upgrade to something faster?
    How much money do you want to spend to upgrade it?
    What operating system do you have?
    What kind of computer is it? Is it a Gateway, Dell, or another manufacturer computer, or something home/computer store built?

Chez

Beefy Guest

YOU DON'T NEED TO WRITE IN CAPITALS.

Overclocking really isn't going to help a system like that much. You'd be better off getting more RAM, a better video card or just scrapping the whole system.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy
    YOU DON'T NEED TO WRITE IN CAPITALS.

Overclocking really isn't going to help a system like that much. You'd be better off getting more RAM, a better video card or just scrapping the whole system.
    1.) we are in complete agreement as to caps

2.) and why not?

3.) more RAM is good

4.) perhaps

5.) scrap it my way if you do, it's already 266 faster than my system
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Beefy Guest

:) OK Mr C, perhaps OCing may help a tiny little bit. I just don't really see the point in getting an extra 100Mhz or so out of a machine like that when you really need to get some other parts to make a noticable improvement. Plus when people don't know the kind of MB they have, it either means they haven't got a clue, or they've got a cheap / package PC that isn't labelled, so is most likely to be a dud for overclocking...

My :2cents: of stubborn opinion. :)

Sight unseen, I have to agree fully with your opinion regarding the capabilities of that mobo - point taken.

I was simply thinking along the lines of the P3 being one of the more efficient processors ever produced by Intel. Be a shame to just throw it out.

This 'ol 600 can still do heaps o' stuff :thumb:

When did tweaking become a negative thing around here:?:
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

The maker and model of that mobo would be nice. There is nothing wrong with that cpu. 90% of the machines I have worked on have been under 1ghz.(this is the real world) It's not like it has a slow 66mhz fsb. I am assuming that you have pc133 ram since your fsb is 133. That ram could probably operate at 140mhz just fine.
    Bottom line is, with 133fsb, ocing to 140fsb is most likely all you can do without pc150 ram(really not worth it at this stage of the game).
    So I would recomend adding 256mb pc133, an extra case fan(at least) and a cheap but not really budget gfx card like an ati radeon9000 pro 128mb(this card works on 2x and 4x agp slots and is full dx8.1) and can be aquired for as low as $110cdn for a saphire or h.i.s retail box. Don't spend any more than that.
    Don't be scared that everything is already obsolete.

Just a few weeks ago, I fixed up a similar machine with a pIII 933, 128mb pc133, 20gig hd and a 2x tnt 16mb gfx.
    All I did was add 256mb pc133, a r9000 pro 128mb, and an extra case fan. Then set the fsb to 140mhz and tweaked up the radeon with radeonator. It works really good at 982mhz and gets almost 6000 in 3d mark '01.(a huge improvement over the 723 score before)
    You would get 911mhz with the same oc. Whats wrong with that?
    athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
    tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
    asus a7n8xe-dlx
    thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
    bfg 6800gt
    seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
    samsung dvdrw
    2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
    logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
    2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
    creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
    mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
    DFI infinity nf4 ultra
    thermaltake tsunami dream -black
    seagate sataII 500gb
    evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
    samsung sata dvd-rw
    2x1024 ocz black
    logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
    ocz fatal1ty 550w

Thankss guys...
    I will buy a 256mb sdram and a 3d hercules prophet 64Mb.

As i can see you think that pIII processor are good and donīt need an overclocking,am i right?

What do you think about the 3d hercules prophet??

Sorry I forgot to answer some questions, I have windows XP Pro, my computer is from a store called SAMSYS in Portugal .
    That store have "cheated" me, when i bought the computer they say that the pc comes with 128mb ram and when i see i have two dimmīs with 64mb , and they say that the pc comes with a riva tnt2 32Mb and i see that i have only the tnt2 16Mb.
    Tomorrow i go to the store and they will change that hardware.

Beware of these hurcules cards, it would be easy to rip someone off with one since there are too many different cards with the same name. eg.: Years ago I got burned on a 700mhz celeron that was suposed to be a pIII. I had a customer with a 3d prophet 64mb that he spent almost $200cdn 9months ago on and it was based on a sis xaber(he really got ripped off)(it gets like 800 on 3d mark '01) my card gets over 6300 on the same benchy.
    athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
    tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
    asus a7n8xe-dlx
    thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
    bfg 6800gt
    seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
    samsung dvdrw
    2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
    logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
    2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
    creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
    mushkin 550w