Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unlocking?!

Hey just doing the newbie rounds on o/cing... this time its the CPU

I have a Gigabye GA-8IR533 mobo and a P4 1.7ghz do i have to do anything other than changing the multiplier and changing FSB to get better performance? i can do both these things in the Bios at the moment but before i go and fiddle i just wanted to know?

Also how does this sound for some cooling

TT Crystal Orb for my GeForce2 MX/MX 400 (yes its sad)
    TT Memory Heatsinks
    TT Memory Heatspreaders

And i'm not sure what i need for my CPU does anyone know a good $30-$50 cooler for a 478 Socket Mobo?

Cheers :cheers:

The Evolved One

Yes, I asked that question myself, and my answer was a Thermal Take volcano spark 7 or a volcano 7+. i think the cpu fan is under ur budget, you can get it at newegg.com. :thumb: And some Artic Silver 3 thermal grease would be nice too
    CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
    Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
    RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
    GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
    PSU: Thermaltake 500w
    SC: Audigy 2 zs
    LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
    Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
    Mouse: Logitech G5

do i have to do anything other than changing the multiplier
    The multi is locked on P4's. You'll have to adjust the FSB to get increase in performance. You may want to increase the voltage going to the P4, only after a certain amount of overclock though. If you haven't already get yourself some software like Sandra and 3dmark so you can test the stability of the system once you've overclocked. Set the timings of the memory to 1:1 with cpu so you get the most from your memory.

Just take it slow and have fun. :)

thanks for the help :)

so even tho i can change the multiplier in the Bios its actually still locked? :confused:
    and where do i set the timings? bios again? if so where abouts?? i just upgraded my bios and lost alot of functions i think unless theyve just moved:shrug:

n e ways thanks again
    :D

The Evolved One

You cannot change the multiplier, it is locked. Greyed out.

A fan on your GF2 MX is pointless, it would be a waste of money. No matter what you do to it, it is STILL going to suck.

Also, what kind of RAM do you have?

Best Heatsink/Fan i've used:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...110-008&depa=1

So shiny...so cool...so quiet...:cool:.

FX5900 - 3DMark2001 [20,566] - 3DMark2003 [7,281] - Aquamark3 [56,694]
    Ti4400 - 3DMark2001 [16,028]

Um, normally Ram HS are just a waste of money, as my PC3200 @ 2.9V running 220FSB never got too hot.

Also, get a Volcano 7+ and its cheaper than HSF Soulburner Linked, ad quite frankly is better

Quote Originally Posted by amd_man2003
    Um, normally Ram HS are just a waste of money, as my PC3200 @ 2.9V running 220FSB never got too hot.

Also, get a Volcano 7+ and its cheaper than HSF Soulburner Linked, ad quite frankly is better
    Haha a Volcano 7 is NOT better than an Aeroflow :rofl:.

You cannot change the multiplier, it is locked. Greyed out.
    In my Mobo Bios it aint greyed out... i can change it but im not actually sure if it changes anything... and also if i get a TT Orb for my graphics card i can move it later so it dont really matter.
    Do you guys buy most of your stuff from newegg.com? i was going to buy my stuff at www.coolpc.com.au just because its an australian store i dont like buying over-seas. But coolpc have just dropped the Volcano 7+ from their stock lists so i dunno what i shud do :grr:

Um, normally Ram HS are just a waste of money
    should i just get some coz they is only 6 bucks so even if i get a teeny bit more performance its all good?

aiight thanks again

The Evolved One

Beefy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Soulburner
    Haha a Volcano 7 is NOT better than an Aeroflow :rofl:.
    You're really beginning to annoy me. Quick check on heatsinks - Volcano 7+ can manage 0.52C/W cooling. Aeroflow you linked to - 0.56C/W... Lower is better. Hence the Volcano 7+ can cool better. You really don't have much in the way of social skills, nor ability to be helpful, do you?

Evolved, as the others have said, don't worry about the RAM / video card heatsinks. They aren't really needed.

Cooling for the CPU is basically up to how much you want to spend. Places like www.auspcmarket.com.au , www.pccasegear.com.au and www.scorptec.com.au all have a fair range of coolers, including the two mentioned above. I noticed that www.pccasegear.com.au had one of the Aeroflow fans for $49.50, so that's within your budget. The Volcano 7+ seems to be around $55 at most places, unless someone else can tell you where it's cheaper.

Also, the multiplier is hard-locked on P4 chips, so you won't be able to change it, despite what the BIOS says. Sure, you might be able to change the number, but it won't do anything.

Don't need your rude comments...im beginning to feel you have nothing better to do than follow me around the board and argue with me. :shoot3:

BTW you go install your Volcano and enjoy your system as it sounds like an airplane, and ill stick with my Aeroflow and enjoy my system as I can't hear a damn thing.

There is more to a HSF than just cooling. :rolleyes:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information