Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Duron unlocking?

Well I put together my new computer today and I was looking forward to learning how to overclock my AMD Duron 1.3 GHz to get a few more FPS. Buuuut I have no idea what to do and alot of the options in my BIOS are "grayed out". Do I have to unlock the processor?

Here are my specs:
    AMD Duron 1.3 GHz
    Asus A7N8X-X motherboard
    Corsair 256 Mb XMS PC3200 DDR RAM
    350 Watt power supply
    GeForce4 Ti 4600

My case has 2 front intake fans, 2 rear outtake (however you spell it) and one side intake fan. I plan on buying a better HSF really soon cuz the one I have no is crap.

Please help thanks :cool:

Yep, you'll have to unlock it. The chipset in your board will only allow adjustments to Thoroughbred or Barton based processors without the unlocking trick. Considering yours is a 1.3GHz model, it is more than likely unlockable using the old pencil trick. This ins't a guarantee as I've not used the Duron line of processor before, but I believe it is accurate. If you'll check out this AMD Overclocking Guide, then you should be able to get the information you need to handle the job.

Good luck!
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

I heard of "the old pencil trick" before... I read some overclocking guide and I tried to use it on my old Duron 850 MHz... didn't work though, I didn't even have a board that was able to overclock lol
    If I'm not mistaken, the pencil trick is where you use a pencil to rub over one of the little tiny golden bridges on the CPU? Thanks for the help by the way :D

No offense but weak choice on the CPU....the rest of your system looks geared up for at least a 1700-2000+.

XP 2500+ is only $90, sheesh....talk about cheap.

FX5900 - 3DMark2001 [20,566] - 3DMark2003 [7,281] - Aquamark3 [56,694]
    Ti4400 - 3DMark2001 [16,028]

The CPU is about 2 years old. I've been saving up to buy the exact same CPU your talking about lol, the Barton 2500+. In the meantime I'm trying to overclock this CPU (Duron 1.3 GHz) to make up for it.

Anyhoo, I can't seem to unlock it! I used this guide: http://www.overclockersclub.com/t-bird.php and followed the directions but I'm still not able to use the multiplyer. Help me!!! :'(

Sounds like a plan.

Don't know about unlocking though (Intel guy).

FX5900 - 3DMark2001 [20,566] - 3DMark2003 [7,281] - Aquamark3 [56,694]
    Ti4400 - 3DMark2001 [16,028]

Thread Information