Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Squeezing more MHz from FSB

Okay, this is my current setup:

AMD1800+ Palomino @1610Mhz (11.5 x 140MHz) @1.85v
    HW monitor in BIOS reads 1.80v - 1.83v
    MSI k7T266ProII-RU
    MSI GF4 Ti4600
    Enermax EG465AX 465 Watt PSU Dual Fan
    Load temp 55C, Case temp 45C Environment temp 37C

At this voltage and FSB the system runs stable, using 3DMark03 (3 loops)

A little table to illustrate relation FSB to Vcore:

137Mhz / 1.775v
    139MHz / 1.800v
    140Mhz / 1.850v

Does this look like I pushed my CPU to the edge as far as OC'ing goes? Or is there another bottleneck that prevents me from increasing FSB?

I reset the memory bus to FSB - 33, resulting in a relaxed memory setting, ruling out memory bottleneck. I underclocked my GF4 for the same purposes and to reduce heat produced in case. (Mind you, these tests were to get best FSB speed, not most 3Dmarks.

As the table shows, going from a stable 139Mhz to 140Mhz, I had to increase voltage by 0.50. The board won't go any higher.

So.. anyone have a suggestion on how to ppush a bit more MHz from this board/CPU? Or did I reach the ceiling.. (bummer).

I wonder if I could achieve a higher CPU core speed by changing the multiplier instead of the FSB. Unfortunately with this board, upping the FSB will increase the AGP/PCI speeds too.

Any ideas welkome! :cheers:

That is probably your limit with the Palomino core CPU, as I have a 2100+ Palomino that wont go over a 135FSB @ 1.85V.

Thanks for reply.

I was affraid I did hit the CPU's ceiling. Since you only got a 3MHz increase, what kind of PSU are you using? Just curious..

I had a pretty weak PSU, and even at 133Mhz standard it would at times crash. I couldn't get it to run stably at even 134MHz.

Until I upgraded the PSU to an Enermax 465W. I'm sure you have a good PSU though. I'm just curious.

-MBX

Ive got a Raidmax 350W. But I know its fine, becuase I overclocked a 1700+ TbredB to a 220FSB on the same mobo my 2100+ wouldnt barely overclock on.

BTW, your temps are high. Are you using the stock AMD heatsink/fan?

I recommend getting a decent HSF, een to run at stock speeds, The Forum favorite is the ThermalTake Volcano 7+ It MUST be the "Plus" version though.

Well looks like I can't pull any more from this CPU then. That's a bummer.

As far as temperatures go..

The system used to run on my old PSU, single fan. No case fans, stock HSF, at 65C CPU temperature.

Currently we're in a heatwave here, and the computer is in the attic (computer room). I think temperatures here are reaching 40c easily. (ugh).

After adding 2 80mm Sharkoon fans (intake / exhouse), PSU upgrade, and a new coolermaster heatsink+ 80mm fan, the temperature for both the CPU and case dropped about 10C. To the values in my previous post.

I don't think I could get the rig any cooler unless I'd make the step to water cooling (sounds dumb for a AMD Palomino system eh?). The main problem I have is a high environment temperature.

Meanwhile, I've decided to go with the gigabit GA-7N400 Pro. After reading tons and tons of info, that is the best OC'ing board, available for AMD CPUs, in my opinion. Though I've always been a fan of MSI. I'm not too impressed by their implementations of the NForce chipset.

Thread Information