Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Which is more important?

When O/C a video card should you overclock the core and memory equally thats what i've done but can u sqeeze more out by overclocking the core more and taking the memory down or vice versa?? just curious...
    hopefully getting a new card soon:woot:
    so wanna push limits now :hammer:

cheers:cheers:

The Evolved One

Increasing the memory clock has the most effect, as that directly affects your memory bandwith. Increasing the the GPU clock gives you more heat than performance, but every bit counts. The biggest performance comes from memory though. You might want to put heatsink cubes on the memory chips to squeeze a bit more MHz out of them.

Good luck :thumb:

-Magic

When you overclock the core you overclock your memory...so you are gonna get performance considering you have just overclocked your processor.
    - Damien

Quote Originally Posted by FLaCo
    When you overclock the core you overclock your memory...so you are gonna get performance considering you have just overclocked your processor.
    pssst... we're talking video cards here not processor -vs- memory speeds. On video cards, they are set independently.

The Evolved One,
    What video board do you have now? There were only some of the older ATI boards that really needed to have the core and memory set in equal increments. Most other boards will let you manually tweak the settings to whatever works best.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Quote Originally Posted by MagicBox
    Increasing the memory clock has the most effect, as that directly affects your memory bandwith. Increasing the the GPU clock gives you more heat than performance, but every bit counts. The biggest performance comes from memory though. You might want to put heatsink cubes on the memory chips to squeeze a bit more MHz out of them.

Good luck :thumb:

-Magic
    I don't know what you use but that's not true at all for me.

My core clock makes a lot more difference than memory.

FX5900 - 3DMark2001 [20,566] - 3DMark2003 [7,281] - Aquamark3 [56,694]
    Ti4400 - 3DMark2001 [16,028]

I did include the memory bandwidth however, because it gives a decent indication of what overclocking does, and because memory overclocking does more for performance than core overclocking.
    This info comes from this very same website, in the Beginners Guide to Overclocking nVidia Video Cards

The article contains some good info ;)

-Magic

Not in my case.

My core overclock got me better results than the memory.

FX5900 - 3DMark2001 [20,566] - 3DMark2003 [7,281] - Aquamark3 [56,694]
    Ti4400 - 3DMark2001 [16,028]

Quote Originally Posted by Darthtanion
    pssst... we're talking video cards here not processor -vs- memory speeds. On video cards, they are set independently.

: omg: DDDUUUUUUHHHHHHHH:drool:
    - Damien

Thread Information