Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: A7N8X Mult. settings

Quote Originally Posted by Woody_87th
    Those scores are noticabley higher than a P4 3.0/ 800MHz FSB on the fastest 875 mobo available using the same top quality RAM and the same vid card. Frankly I was shocked to find the top of the line Intel systems running that slow and wouldn't have believed it if it wasn't from a reliable source. I doupt the 3.2GHz version will be much faster.
    False...

I have seen scores of 18-20k with that setup. 3.0, 9700, 875 board...

I know of a particular one (19,600) and if you want the link I can find it...

FX5900 - 3DMark2001 [20,566] - 3DMark2003 [7,281] - Aquamark3 [56,694]
    Ti4400 - 3DMark2001 [16,028]

Jees Soulburner will you just give it up!? I'm not talking about clocked systems. I'm talking about off the shelf components and stock speeds. Even your system was running at those slower speeds after you clocked it to 800MHz FSB and 3.0GHz and was consistent with the scores of a 9700Pro like you said it would be.

Why am I even bothering to reply to this babbling? :confused:

Chez: Don't be a pessimist man! :p I'm sure we are still in for some amazing technological breakthroughs in the coming few years. All kinds of weird radical manufacturing processes. Even if the core frequencies don't increase much anymore, chip designers will identify the bottlenecks and work to eliminate them.

A good example is Apple computer. They were faced with a CPU that was falling behind so they reworked their systems and the software to utilize dual CPU technology for maximum advantage. Now they have dual 64bit dual processors running at 2.0GHz each on 1000MHz FSB motherboards.

(Please no one add any anti-Mac posts to this thread, I've already had enough of the Intel addicts! ;) )
    ASUS A7N8X Deluxe, Athlon Barton 2500+ with SLK-800 and 4800rpm 80mm fan, ATi 9700Pro(AIW), Dual 256MB Corsair XMS 3200c. Seagate Barracuda SATA. 200MHz fsb with 11X multiplier, RAM latency: 2,2,2,5

Woody,

I think precarious was taken in the wrong way. I meant instability in the volativity of the coming months with so many new technologies coming together.
    As well as to the NEW developments in the areas lacking that they are going to have to improve upon to pull together the whole package. From bus speeds, pipelines, architechures, ram, blue laser, SATA 300, PCI Express, DDRII, 64bit procs, ect. ect. ect.

For ME these coming months are going to be VERY exciting and I can't wait to see the direction we are led in, in computing.
    I have read tons of articles describing all these technologies, the possibilities, and different directions technology could go.

I will be enjoying reading, watching and predicting where these different emerging technologies will lead us...

Chez :cheers:

PS I was watching a show the other day on how Intel is making wires chemically, 1 atom wide on silicon dies. It was amazing to see how far they are already coming for FUTURE technogies. As they said on the show, is how exciting it is to see where these technogies will bring us in the next 5 years.

PSS To think back when I built my 1st computer, an 8088, to NOW sitting at my neighbors house on my laptop with a 15in. LCD, surfing the web and printing something off at my house in my home office is just incredible.
    Then transferring information via a .5 gig USB drive to him is just unreal. It cost me $160 for 16meg ram back then. I STILL have the original package, with the ram inside (used of course).

BTW Homeworld did you get that 2500+ running at 200MHz FSB yet??? We've been getting off topic again.
    No i haven't gotten that high yet. When ever i get to about 190+ MHz, the system starts to give werid blue screens and randomly gives me memory dumps even when the memory is at stock timings. I also have the standard AMD retail cooler on it right no, instead of my copper one. It keeps on giving me pretty bad results along with this stock one, but i think thats becuase i didnt put the AS3 on properly. So, i'll probably try and refit it right now, and and ill tell u guys iff the cooler is working out, or if i have to go get a SLK700 or something.
    <font color=orange>AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton (166*11=1883MHz) -|- Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev2.0 -|- Corsair XMS PC3200 512 MB RAM 2T-3-3-6 @DDR333 -|- Leadtek A250 TD GF4 TI 4400 300/630 -|- 40 Gig Quntaum Fireball AP+ -|- 52x Samsung CD-ROM Drive -|- SB Live Digital 5.1 -|- Antec SG case w/350 Watt Power-Up PSU</font>

Holy SH*T!!!!!!!!!

I transfered the coolers, and now, with the copper cooler that coast me 20 bucks, im getting 5 degrees C higher Idle temps.

AND my computer no sounds like a jet turbine engine.

The good thing about it though is that i think it desipates heat better when the temps are higher. Also, the AS3 needs to set.
    <font color=orange>AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton (166*11=1883MHz) -|- Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev2.0 -|- Corsair XMS PC3200 512 MB RAM 2T-3-3-6 @DDR333 -|- Leadtek A250 TD GF4 TI 4400 300/630 -|- 40 Gig Quntaum Fireball AP+ -|- 52x Samsung CD-ROM Drive -|- SB Live Digital 5.1 -|- Antec SG case w/350 Watt Power-Up PSU</font>

I don't know what to say. There is no way you should be getting higher temps with the aftermarket cooler. There are only two possibilities. The temps are wrong or the HSF is improperly installed. Could be the thermal compound was not correctly applied.

You shouldn't get much of an increase in temps anyway simply by upping the FSB on that CPU anyway. The temps will increase as you increase the Vcore to get a higher core freq. It should handle the higher FSB with a similar core freq (say 200x9) without increasing the Vcore. I don't know what to say except maybe some part of your system is just not up to standards. If you have the opportunity to test the various components with other systems it would help but that's not always feasible.

Chez: I built an 8088 board with a soldering iron too! I was in High School! I used Apple IIs and Ataris back then! Yeah we've come a long way! :cool:
    ASUS A7N8X Deluxe, Athlon Barton 2500+ with SLK-800 and 4800rpm 80mm fan, ATi 9700Pro(AIW), Dual 256MB Corsair XMS 3200c. Seagate Barracuda SATA. 200MHz fsb with 11X multiplier, RAM latency: 2,2,2,5

Homeworld, there is a 3rd possibilty is that your HSF isn't FLAT and needs to be lapped.
    I would definetely check for that. As 90% of the ones I have purchased have not been flat.
    So I ALWAYS lap my heatsink prior to using it, whether it needs it or not. Because then I KNOW for sure my HSF is up to snuff and ready to go.

Good luck,
    Chez

I don't know what to say. There is no way you should be getting higher temps with the aftermarket cooler. There are only two possibilities. The temps are wrong or the HSF is improperly installed. Could be the thermal compound was not correctly applied.
    Well I dont think either of those could be right, becuase. like i said, i've applied the AS3 multiples times (4+). Most of the time, i followed the online instructions, and 2ice i did it my own way. I just think the cooler is a piece of crap. I got it for about $17.95 at xoxide. And since xoxide makes u pay a nice premium, its standard price should be about $13.00-$15.00.

Chez: You may be right, but even if it was uneven, i have no idea how to tell or lap it properly even if i could tell.
    :cry: :cry:

I'll probably just get an SLK-700U with a TMD fan, they sell them bundeled for about $37 w/ shipping.

Another thimg may be that the tempreture sensor is messed up on the motherboard. Hmonitor, which im pretty sure gets temp readings from the actually CPU probe, says its about 43 C when the BIOS says its running at 50 C.
    Although im pretty sure the mobo gets readings from the CPU also, and not its own sensor. So, that may also be a possibility, becuase when i touch the HSF, it doesn't feel anything like 45C/114F, and more like 95F at the max.

Chez: How do you like your Volcano 11??? Do you think it could perform like an SLK-700U??? I also really like the fan RPM adjustable feature, becuase my current setup sounds like a freaking helicopter turbine engine.

Homeworld, copper is copper. So you really can't make any advancements in that area, although fans and other things make slight changes. As well as finning and stuff.

Although, before I went and spent more money I would lap it first to see.

Here is a thread on it, it should also have links to a site that explains it step by step as well.

Lapping

Good luck,
    Chez

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread Information