Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Motherboards For Oc Athlons

Ok guys, I started this thread for lack of discussion on this topic....Which motherboard do you consider the best for overclocking AMD cpus. Consider performance, price, and compatiblilty (COUGH VIA).
    <font color="darkgreen">God's l33t Counter-Striken Box - Powered by Jeff K and Vanilla Ice<br>- AMD Duron 800 - ECS K7S5A motherboard - Thermaltake Volcano II w/ 60mm<br>- Gainward GeForce3 TI 200/450 - 512mb ****ty SDR ram<br>- Aopen Full Tower modded case - 3Com NIC card - Sony Trinitron Flatscreen 17"<br>- Promise ATA66 IDE Controller - Seagate 60gb 5400rpm - Western Digital 13gb 5400rpm<br>- hp cd16 16x10x40 cdrw - Altec Lansing ATP3 Speakers - Mistsumi Mirror Floppy Drive<br>- 5 80mm case fans + 2 92mm case fans - Immeasurable Power and Omnipotence</font></p>

Well first, there is nothing wrong with VIA chipsets. The biggest prob with them is the person setting one up. 1st you install the OS then the latest 4in1 drivers then video, sound, etc drivers. The order is very important and this is where most ppl screw up.
    Now the best overclocking boards out there all use VIA KT266A chipsets and all major manufacturers have boards based on this chipset so the best for you would be to checkout the features that each have and you want plus what you can afford.
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Beefy Guest

I just got an MSI board based on the KT266A chipset, and I love it. Every VIA chipset i've had has been great. From what I've seen (check <a href="http://www.vr-zone.com/guides/AMD/AthlonXP/">this</a> link) the best boards for OC'ing would have to be Epox.. That link shows how high some people have got (bear in mind they are extreme overclocks...) and what they used...

If you go with an Epox - get the 8KHA+ as opposed to the reqular 8KHA...the difference is the Kt266a chipset vs. Kt266 for Oc'ing (and general stability) you want the former.

epox are generally pretty good at overclocking, but it comes down to which chipset you get.
    MSN Messenger - handy481@hotmail.com
    DC++ - handy481 :: Sweden Xperience :: BootCamp 02 :: Revolution xShare 01 :: Mp3Heaven

I say that my ECS motherboards also overclocks good! I even can run my cpu at 150mhz
    My System:
    AMD XP1700+@XP2000
    ECS K7S5a Motherboard
    512 MB PC2700 DDR Ram
    Geforce 2 Pro 64 MB

Quote Originally Posted by RDR
    If you go with an Epox - get the 8KHA+ as opposed to the reqular 8KHA...the difference is the Kt266a chipset vs. Kt266 for Oc'ing (and general stability) you want the former.
    From what I've heard I'd say Epox are the best choice for overclocking. However maybe try something from Soyo, the SiS 645 P4 board I use is amazing! :)

I've been hearing really good stuff about both the Epox and Soyo board from others online.

I have heard that Epox boards (especially the 8KHA+) are excellent overclockers. From personal experience, Jetway motherboards are pathetic for overclocking. I have a KT133 based board - minimal VCore alterations and a max FSB of 110MHz are the only options avaiable. Not multiplier adjustment, no RAM voltage adjustment, no PCI/AGP dividers. Rubbish.
    Athlon Tbird 1100@1166
    AMD K6-2-250 @ 333
    Winchip 180@ 200

The KT133 in most cases was lucky to get to 108MHz in most cases though a few could get a bit more. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information