Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: AMD XP3000+ Barton Overclock potential.

Looks like you got lucky on some discount RAM! Congrats. I'd have to agree with K6 there, if it ain't broke, don't fix it again.

The only thing I would experiment with (if it were my system that is) is comparing how the system runs with a 175MHz FSB and syncronized with your RAM compared to the 210MHz FSB. 175MHz isn't bad and you gain some advantage by running in sync with the RAM on that board. Of course if you lower the FSB you can raise the multiplier to keep the 2.3GHz core frequency.

Don't know if you tried this but it was something I am curious about.
    ASUS A7N8X Deluxe, Athlon Barton 2500+ with SLK-800 and 4800rpm 80mm fan, ATi 9700Pro(AIW), Dual 256MB Corsair XMS 3200c. Seagate Barracuda SATA. 200MHz fsb with 11X multiplier, RAM latency: 2,2,2,5

Thanks for the heads-up guys :)

Yeah, I've been having fun tweaking the thing the past weeks. I also installed MBM 5, and noticed the diode temp was pretty high. Like up to 64c under load.But considering that's the inner of the core, I'd think that's ok, since the inner can go 'safely' up to 70c.

Besides, when the room temp gets too hot (in that respect I'm glad the summer is over) I could always turn up the V7+ some.

But the system is Prime95 stable (4+ hours) also Sandra's memtest doesn't crash. I can't optimize the scores any further. My ram performs worse when running at synch with relaxed timings. The 83% ramspeed setting seems special. (400 -> 333), it's just as stable as synch would be. Any other % causes weird results when I up the FSB too much (eventhough the memory would run below 166 in some cases).

Here a comparitive image of how my mem performs now :)

Those are very good bandwidth scores on PC2700 RAM! I'm not sure why you feel you would need to relax the memory timings to run the FSB in sync. What I mean is to run your FSB at 175MHz which would place it in sync with the speed you just demonstrated your RAM running at. This may slighly improve your performance overall but I'm not sure. It may decrease performance also. That's what I'm curious about.

Try running a benchmark such as 3DMark01 with each configuration to see how it affects overall system performance.

I'm just curious, that's all. If you don't want to try it that's fine. I guess I should really go and try it myself eh? :p
    ASUS A7N8X Deluxe, Athlon Barton 2500+ with SLK-800 and 4800rpm 80mm fan, ATi 9700Pro(AIW), Dual 256MB Corsair XMS 3200c. Seagate Barracuda SATA. 200MHz fsb with 11X multiplier, RAM latency: 2,2,2,5

I see what you mean :) Yeah I could give that a shot. To retain the 2.3GHz I'd have to set it to 177*13 or 178*13. I hope the RAM can pull the extra few MHz. If so, then the proc can run at the same internal speed, yet in synch with the RAM.

Ok thanks. You've given me reason to be busy for a while :)

As for benchmarking, yeah I've noticed that 3dMark03 isn't the best to benchmark with. It's too reliant on the videocard. It seem Mark01 seems more popular. I'll have to DL that..and just like the proc unlock it ;)

I'll let you know what it turns out like.

EDIT: Well, I've tried to change the FSB to 175 and the multi to 13, but guess what.. The multi turns into 5x! So.. basically I can't go higher than 12.5 on my multi. I didn't do the wiretrick yet. But wasn't that to get to lower multis, and not the higher ones?

You may have to fiddle around in BIOS a little to get the higher mult settings.

I really like 3DMark01 as a comparison benchmark for my own reference when making ajdustments. I do before and after runs and compare the results. It gives me very good real world performance comparisons from a gamer's perspective.

A pure memory bandwidth test is useful when setting memory timings but the bottom line is going to be overall system performance. Getting memory bandwidth scores of between 2600-2700 with PC2700 RAM is extremely good.

Also note that by just upping FSB memory bandwidth increases, even if the RAM is running at the same speed as before.

Also.....AMDs love memory timings vs Intel loving pure speed.

And...if your CPU is capable of a higher FSB (200+) it is better to run a lower multiplier. Normally you won't know until you lower the multi to say, 10 and then try for a higher FSB. If it doesn't boot, up the voltage a little and try again.

One last thing....your chip is running really hot, pretty much borderline...I would look into improving case airflow/ventilation to let that CPU breathe. People with proper cooling setups can run AMDs at 2500mhz at lower temperatures than that on air.

FX5900 - 3DMark2001 [20,566] - 3DMark2003 [7,281] - Aquamark3 [56,694]
    Ti4400 - 3DMark2001 [16,028]

Also note that by just upping FSB memory bandwidth increases, even if the RAM is running at the same speed as before.
    The point is that this cheap RAM allows to be ran at higher speed. Naturally a higher fSB results in a higher bandwith. But like I said, the RAM is labeled PC2700 and runs well over 2700 specs.

As for cooling, the case is sufficient. 2 intake, 3 exhaust. When I remove the side panel, the CPU temp drops a few degrees. Since the V7+ will be directly fed with cool air instead of warmed up air from the GFX card and mobo and the feedback air that gets pushed out of the heatsink. Actually a CPU fan should be directly fed with roomtemp air. I'm thinking of making such kind of duct.

However, I think I messed up the heat transfer between the CPU and heatsink when I tried to get the V7+ attached to the board. See my post in the Cooling forum. So I'm going to take out the board and redo the heatsink.

As for MBM core temps, anyone can provide me with a reference temperature (room temp 21 degrees C) for a 3200+? Asus probe reports around 45 degrees, but that is the socket temp. The core temp is around 15 degrees higher.

I think I'll order myself a Prometeia next month. Then we're done with high temps anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulburner
    This is a very general statement and is not always true. There is always an optimum setting which may or may not be the highest possible FSB speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody_87th
    This is a very general statement and is not always true. There is always an optimum setting which may or may not be the highest possible FSB speed.
    I have proof of this, it is not coming out my ass...

In my own testing, my stock bandwidth was 4500mb/s. At 250fsb with a 5:4 divider to keep the RAM at the same stock 200mhz it was in the last test, it now jumped to 5300mb/s.

Then again, this has nothing to do with the topic of this post so I am gonna stop here, we keep getting off on stupid tangents....

FX5900 - 3DMark2001 [20,566] - 3DMark2003 [7,281] - Aquamark3 [56,694]
    Ti4400 - 3DMark2001 [16,028]

I'm sorry, did I offend? :eek:

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information