Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Wanting to OC a bit...but need some advice first.

You keep saying that, yet provide no proof or any valid argument...i'm still waiting...:blah:

FX5900 - 3DMark2001 [20,566] - 3DMark2003 [7,281] - Aquamark3 [56,694]
    Ti4400 - 3DMark2001 [16,028]

Quote Originally Posted by Soulburner
    You keep saying that, yet provide no proof or any valid argument...i'm still waiting...:blah:
    I could say what Im thinking, but I wont. Its not that you seem AMD stupid, you just, well, Its pretty easy to tell you have no AMD experince just by what you've posted. You seem to know your stuff very well on Intel, so IMHO whjy dont you just use your knowledge for that side, and leae the AMD side of things alone?

But anyway, how about we drop it and get this thread back on track ;).

DFI Lanparty NFII Ultra Mobo
    AMD XP 2500+
    2 x 256 DDR PC3200
    FX5900
    Overclock settings
    multiplier to 11 and the FSB to 220MHz
    CPU voltage set to 1.950V,
    Chipset voltage set to 1.70V, and
    Memory voltage set to 2.70V.
    The memory timings aggressive
    memory clock was set to a 1:1 ratio
    Getting 2420MHz

I do not have any problems. It games like nothing I have every had before.

No locks, no crashes, no funny burning smells :p

But I am a newbie and this is my first attempt at overclocking.
    Is it too hot? Should I back off on the voltage? If so do I back off on the CPU voltage one increment at a time and watch the temp. Is that what you experienced OC'rs would do?

That's a very good overclock on a 2500.....most of them don't make it that far.

56c isn't too hot, but its going to be the point where heat will start limiting your overclock going any further. It is not damaging in any way.

I suggest running Prime 95 at those settings for a few hours and see if it comes up with any errors. It is a good way to burn in your components as well. Watch your temperatures as well....but remember if you dont have some sort of probe, BIOS readings are innacurate. However a CPU will become unstable and crash from heat before it fries so I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks Soulburner,
    That makes me feel better. I thought it would crash or act funny before it did damage. I will try bumping down the CPU voltage when I have time to see what happens. I do have a probe I stuck between the heat sink and the cpu. I am not sure if it is making good contact I slipped it in after I installed the heatsink and I cannot see it very well. I did not have instructions or experience. Should I take the heatsink off and put the probe on the cpu and put the heat sink back over it?

I will download Prime 95 and try it out.

If all this works out for me, I guess it says good things about the LanParty NFII and the AMD ATHLON XP 2500+ Because reading this and other boards it does seem like better clocking than usual for this chip. woo hoo! My first attempts at something don't usually turn out so good. I will admit I fried one of the fan controllers by plugging in 6 fans to one molex fan connector. :laugh: I did not know you should only plug in 4. I heard a popsound. Oh well. Not that I really care, The other fan controller still works but I keep them all on high anyway so who needs the fancsy shmancy things anyway.
    :laugh:

You must have got a good stepping.

Since the AMD chips don't have a heatspreader, I guess its ok for a probe to be in there. On my Intel, putting a probe between the heatsink and the chip would be a bad idea, as it would prevent the heatsink from making proper contact.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information