Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: problem with multiplier???

1. Default

I am trying to use the multipier DIP switch next to my cpu to get high cpu speeds, but whenever the setting is changed to anything but 'auto' the computer never boots and seems to continuosly restart every couple of seconds. Is there a way to fix this? or am i just missing the setting in the bios where i can change it?

I have a gigabyte 7VAXP ultra with an unlocked amd 1.4GHz thunderbird (so far i have it overclocked to 1.544GHz)

for cooling i have:
    ThermalRight SK-7 with a ThermalTake Smart Case Fan 2
    An ATI 9500 PRO with a ThermalTake Giant 2

memory:
    768MB of random crappy DDR PC2100

(im going to get the:
    ThermalTake Aquarius 2 water cooling kit
    2.08GHz amd athlon xp
    2 sticks of 'GeIL DDR RAM 512MB PC-3200 400Hz')
    so that will make for much more power.

'my comp at this point'
    GBRRICCI

Some Gigabyte BIOS' at the main BIOS page hit CTRL+F1 and that will bring up a hidden preformance page but whether that model has it I couldn't say though the KT400 chipset on it should override the lock on the CPU.

3. Default

it gave me a couple new menu's but i dont think i saw the multiplier settings

'advanced chipset features' to be exact, mainly crap about dram
    GBRRICCI

4. Default

maybe i didnt unlock my processor correctly??? dont really care right now. once i get my xp 2800 i'll go through the guides on unlocking it, if it doesnt work after that then i'll be very confused.
    GBRRICCI

That 2800 is unlocked by default. AFAIK, all tbred-b's are.

As far as not booting, I'd be willing to bet it's because you're setting the cpu just high enough that it needs more voltage, but obviously if there's no bios settings for it, you can't do that. I think a new board is in order, especially if you're going to be using a 2800. NF7-S or Epox 8rda3+.

I have a 1700+ the same as is shown in Sovereignty's sig that is not factory unlocked. I have had several (maybe all) of the T-Bred B-core processors that are locked, but the nForce2 chipset bypasses this function. The simple test came when benchmarking a KT600 board that I had gotten in. All processors that I put onto the KT600 board would not allow for any sort of multiplier manipulation, even though they worked fine on my nForce2 based board. The KT600 had settings within BIOS to accommodate the changes, but the processors were not playing nicely without physically unlocking them.

GBRRICCI,
    Both of the recommended boards that Sovereignty mentions are using the nForce2 chipset, so either will let you play along the full range of multiplier settings. You'll just have to play around a bit to see which works best for you. :)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

7. Default

yeah, im thinking about getting a new nforce mobo with dual channel ddr400, probably send back my gigabyte(although its the best one ive ever used). do you guys have suggestions for one around $100-200?
    GBRRICCI

EPoX's 8RDA3+ is what I prefer to use though Abit's NF7-S and ASUS' A7N8X are also very good boards.

9. Default

Epox: http://www.newegg.com/app/Viewproduc...RDA3+%20Retail

Abit: http://www.newegg.com/app/Viewproduc...IT%20NF7-S%20,

Asus: http://www.newegg.com/app/Viewproduc...eluxe%20Retail

-----------------------

i've heard asus boards are great but i can get any of these, jsut wondering which would be best for what i do: (hardcore gaming, overclocking......arent those the only 2 reasons for computers?)
    GBRRICCI

There isn't a great deal of difference between any of those boards, ya main prob will be decidin' on what features ya'll require. I'd also suggest gettin' PC3500 as well if ya want to overclock as ya may soon find the limits of PC3200 very quickly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information