Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AMD Athlon XP 2500+

I have successfully overclocked my New system.

DFI Lanparty NFII Ultra Mobo
    AMD XP 2500+
    2 x 256 DDR PC3200
    FX5900
    Overclock settings
    multiplier to 11 and the FSB to 220MHz
    CPU voltage set to 1.950V,
    Chipset voltage set to 1.70V, and
    Memory voltage set to 2.70V.
    The memory timings aggressive
    memory clock was set to a 1:1 ratio
    Getting 2420MHz
    Temp is staying near 56
    Is this a safe temp?
    The system is stable and has been running games great. I am very please with the performance.
    Is it too hot? I was under the impression that below 60 was fine.

You should check the max temp of your processor but i think that if you keep it always under 60C (especially under load!) you should be ok... but i keep mine around 50C max, just for sure!

Oh and watch you temps, dust can clog your heatsink (in some months!)and fry your cpu. (If you got burning protection on your mainboard enable it!)

Hope that helps! :smokin:
    SYX -=AMD Powered=-
    AMD 1800+ @ 1880Mhz on A7S333 , 250 Meg DDR 333 Platinum @2-2-2-6
    Asus TNT 2 32 meg (128) , 250W ATX, 200W AT (same case)
    Steel automotive intake fan (see avatar) , 3X40mm exaust fans in the back

I get worried when temps hit 50C but do ya really need all that voltage applied to the CPU? :?:

At that speed he certainly does, those CPUs are voltage hogs.

FX5900 - 3DMark2001 [20,566] - 3DMark2003 [7,281] - Aquamark3 [56,694]
    Ti4400 - 3DMark2001 [16,028]

Wiggo has a good point. The 2500 runs very nicely without increasing the Vcore settings in many cases (Soulburner doesn't know). I'm running mine (specs below) at 2.2GHz without inceasing above stock voltage of 1.65 (1.664 as reported by ASUS probe). I'll bet yours would run just fine at or about 1.7 Volts since I managed to max mine out at similar settings as you are using with 1.7V.

Did you try lowering the Vcore and seeing if your system remains stable? If so may have a significant effect on lowering your temperature. No reason to pump more voltage than you need since it only increases the stress on your CPU.

Generally, however, I doupt you are running too hot. I'm not sure what part of the country you live but as winter comes so does cooler room temperatures. Make sure you have plenty of airflow.
    ASUS A7N8X Deluxe, Athlon Barton 2500+ with SLK-800 and 4800rpm 80mm fan, ATi 9700Pro(AIW), Dual 256MB Corsair XMS 3200c. Seagate Barracuda SATA. 200MHz fsb with 11X multiplier, RAM latency: 2,2,2,5

BTW...nice overclock! :thumb:

Is that a 5900Ultra? I'd like to see how your system stomps all over....wait....I won't go there!! :D :D ;)
    ASUS A7N8X Deluxe, Athlon Barton 2500+ with SLK-800 and 4800rpm 80mm fan, ATi 9700Pro(AIW), Dual 256MB Corsair XMS 3200c. Seagate Barracuda SATA. 200MHz fsb with 11X multiplier, RAM latency: 2,2,2,5

Woody, again, I really don't appreciate your comments.

If you know so much about this stuff, you should already know it all depends on the stepping. Some chips suck, some don't. :rolleyes2

FX5900 - 3DMark2001 [20,566] - 3DMark2003 [7,281] - Aquamark3 [56,694]
    Ti4400 - 3DMark2001 [16,028]

Soulburner,
    Thank you for answering tactfully. It is greatly appreciated.

Woody,
    Cool your jets. As of late I am tired of snide comments and outright aggressive postures displayed toward forum members. I have no problems with you disagreeing with someone's views, but there is no call for making ugly comments towards others. I hope that I'm clear on this point.

Scribe,
    Your cooling probably needs to be looked at. Since you indicate that you're running at 1.95v (WAY over default), you're likely pushing well over 85-90 watts of heat output. This will really call for either water, peltier or phase change cooling to keep things under control. But then you may be able to push your system even further. :D
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Quote Originally Posted by Darthtanion
    Woody, I am tired of snide comments and outright aggressive postures displayed toward forum members
    I'll second that..

I don't make snide comments, I say what I feel should be said directly. If someone is giving bad information as is often the case with this individual I will point that out. Hopefully this will be helpful not only for the individual who is misinformed but also the people who may be reading his posts who are trying to learn a few things.

It appears that Soulburner takes a lot of comments very personally and isn't very comfortable with being incorrect. Nothing said in these forums by myself or anyone else should be taken personally or as an indication of intentional hostility.

I subscribe to these forums for the purpose of learning what others have experienced and sharing my own experience while attempting to offer words of encouragment to others who may be struggling or uncertain. People in general are more receptive to a word of encouragment in the form of appreciation for what they have offered online or accomplished with their system or just a few positive words about what they just spent their hard earned money on. No one wants to hear a negative personal opinion about their hardware such as "voltage hogs" or other inappropriate comments. Soulburner was wrong and I stated this clearly and plainly with no snide remarks. If he takes my comment personally it could only be because he knows his comments were inappropriate and negative.

I have no personal negative feelings toward Soulburner as an individual and can't argue with his opinions because they are just that, opinions. When his opinions manifest themselves in negative comments I generally ignore them as most people should. In this case the comment was misleading and unhelpful by implying that Scribe did in fact need to run his CPU at a dangerously high voltage setting. Advice which could lead to another enthusiast damaging his CPU. My comment was intended to stress the importance of not listening to Soulburner in this case and was not intended as a personal remark. It certainly wasn't snide or an aggressive posture. I hope I'm clear on this.

Soulburner I am sorry if I upset you and will attempt to be more sensitive with my comments in the future. I do in fact appreciate many of your posts and comments.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information