Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overclockling and a whacky computer...

I'm new here. I'm not sure why no one else has even viewed my forum under Video Cards (it's been up for a while now) but I guess I'll post here to and see if I have better luck. My 9800 pro is not running up to snuff. I have a 2600+, 512MB of RAM (PC2100), and it DOES run in 8x AGP. 3Dmark is giving it grades of 12500 or so, and indeed, in games such as UT2003 it's running about the same as my brothers Ti4600 card with an AMD 2100+. I don't know what's wrong. It should be getting at least 15000 right? I mean, is PC3200 RAM gonna make that much difference? This really has me angry that I spent $300 on a card that works the same as a lame old out dated card you can't even buy anymore. And I did check the clock speeds and they weren't set below normal as I heard some were. Please help me find the problem...someone.

it should be at least pc2700.......pc3200 for overclocking room........get it......................that's the answer :thumb:
    ps......i mean, i can't even believe it runs w/2100

Of course it runs with PC2100. That's rated for 133mhz, which is the default bus on the 2600+ tbred.

First off, you'll get a pretty big gain if you set all the sliders on the direct3d tab to performance.

Other than that, get yourself some PC3200/3500 ram, assuming your board supports it. Moving your CPU from 133fsb to 200 or 217fsb will give you a huge gain in everything you do.

2600+ 333fsb version

Hm. Forgot they started 333 for some of the 2600's. In any case, I think some new ram is in order :)

I recommend OCZ, Corsair XMS, or Kingston HyperX.

BTW, I'm selling my 2x256 OCZ EL PC3500 dual channel kit if you're interested :)

Bimkoblerutso could in fact have either a 133MHz FSB 2600+ or the 166MHz version. This model came in two flavors and two different clock speeds. If it is the 133MHz version the PC2100 should be just fine if it is running in sync with the FSB which it should be. Not sure what mobo you are running or if even supports higher speeds but you did state you are running your AGP at 8x confirmed so I may assume you have a late model motherboard? Maybe even an Nvidia Nforce2 chipset?

If Bimkoblerutso has the 166MHz version of the 2600+ he would benefit significantly from new RAM. Of course if he plans to overclock he would benefit regardless of which CPU he has.

Bimkoblerutso: This doesn't solve your problem. It is my belief that you should be getting significantly better scores on that system regardless and that something else may be wrong. My first suspicion if this is a home built system is that your CPU FSB/multiplier is not set correctly in the BIOS. I see this problem frequently with home built systems where the motherboard's BIOS doesn't correctly autodetect the CPU and memory settings. You would need to adjust them by hand if this is the case.

Check your multiplier/ FSB speed it should be one of the following:

- 12.5 x 166MHz = 2.08 GHz
    or - 16.0 x 133MHz = 2.13 GHz

Depending on which 2600+ CPU you have those will be the normal settings.

Let me know if this helps.
    ASUS A7N8X Deluxe, Athlon Barton 2500+ with SLK-800 and 4800rpm 80mm fan, ATi 9700Pro(AIW), Dual 256MB Corsair XMS 3200c. Seagate Barracuda SATA. 200MHz fsb with 11X multiplier, RAM latency: 2,2,2,5

Ok, I got into the BIOS and my processor is running at 133Mhz. So that's not the problem. I managed to get the 3d mark up to 13850, and my games are running a LITTLE faster. It's still not up to the speed I want. I think I'm gonna buy some PC3200, but I don't really think it will make too big a difference. I just don't know whats wrong. I ckecked on future mark and people wit the EXACT same computer were getting 16500 and even 17000's on their scores. I guess I'll just twiddle with the BIOS and see what happens. Thanks for the advice fellas.

I read in your other post that you are using a VIA KT600 motherboard.
    That isn't a very good performer.. :(

NForce2 mobos are by far the fastest for your cpu atm and it differs quite mutch between em'..

it is a problem until you identify to us which processor you have ..........the 266 or 333?..............if the 333 the it's hclk + 33

We still don't know what CPU you have in that rig. Hard to help.

And upgrading memory won't necessarily make your computer go faster unless you plan to clock the FSB to a higher value and to do that you will need a motherboard capable of running faster. Unless you intend to go up to 200MHz on your FSB you probably don't need to spend money on 3200DDR. If you do in fact have a 133MHz athlon 2600+ your 2100DDR should be able to handle syncronous bus speeds at normal clock settings.

But to be honest I am not very familiar with the capabilites of your motherboard.

I don't want you to be disappointed by going out and buying expensive RAM and discovering it's not a magic cure to make your system a speed demon. It is probably going to take a few things. I am curious: Have you run the 3DMark03 benchmark? It is less CPU dependent and more graphics card dependent. The results of that benchmark could help narrow down the possible problem.
    ASUS A7N8X Deluxe, Athlon Barton 2500+ with SLK-800 and 4800rpm 80mm fan, ATi 9700Pro(AIW), Dual 256MB Corsair XMS 3200c. Seagate Barracuda SATA. 200MHz fsb with 11X multiplier, RAM latency: 2,2,2,5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information