Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: New to this board...

Hello everybody! I am new to this board and would like to overclock, but I dont know how to get started. Are there any articles or other posts you can lead me to so I can see how to do it. My cpu is an Athlon 1800xp on an Amptron motherboard. Is it even worth doing with my setup?

There are plenty of guides, as well as threads on this topic.

FX5900 - 3DMark2001 [20,566] - 3DMark2003 [7,281] - Aquamark3 [56,694]
    Ti4400 - 3DMark2001 [16,028]

there just isn't much room for it, and your memory/cooling needs to be better than average, any purchases toward that endeavor i would not recommend. There isn't a better bang for your buck overclocker than the 2500+ if you are going to start spending money ...there is an overclocker forum onboard here @TT

Amptron is an "OEM" type mobo, as with Biostar, ECS, and PCChips, thus they have little to no OC options. So your first thing would be a new mobo.
    Full Specs would help too

The 1700+ and 1800+ are the #1 overclocking AMD chips IF they are a Throroughbred B core of the right stepping. It is not uncommon to see 1ghz overclocks on air from them. All you need is good supporting components such as memory and a board.

FX5900 - 3DMark2001 [20,566] - 3DMark2003 [7,281] - Aquamark3 [56,694]
    Ti4400 - 3DMark2001 [16,028]

Geesh,

AllJ is probably sorry the question was even asked here on Tweak Town. After reading all the BS that you guys posted it could probably be discerned that the motherboard is question was not a good candidate for OC'ing but that is about it.....

As far as information about OC'ing. Tweak Town has some great guides HERE

And the forums are usually much better at giving clear concise help.:o

Quote Originally Posted by G Smith
    Geesh,

AllJ is probably sorry the question was even asked here on Tweak Town. After reading all the BS that you guys posted it could probably be discerned that the motherboard is question was not a good candidate for OC'ing but that is about it.....
    a little editing here, a couple deletes there, and look... all better now; it's days like this that I love being a mod :D

now you boys play nice now, I don't want you scaring off a prefectly good member with your childish antics :no:
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

allJ: Firstly may I take this opportunity to welcome you to TweakTown. As Soulburner, JSR and amd_man2003 have already said, if you are serious about overclocking then you will need to upgrade your motherboard and possibly your memory. But you should be able to achieve good results with the XP1800 processor (dependent on version) you have.

Thanks for info guys. I knew my mobo was the weak link. If I get the Asus A7N8X Deluxe I could get desirable results with this chip? How do I find out if mine is a thoroughbred core? And finally, what kind of cooling would I get the most for money, any particular brand you guys like?

Thread Information