Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ti4200 Thermal Adhesive application

Ok, I bought som Arctic Alumina THermal Adhesive from excaliberpc.com (only good site that had it, and free upgrade to 2nd day shipping :thumb: ). I chose the alumina over the silver because it is a pure electrical insulator and wont carry any charges, so I dont have to worry aobut my memory leads being bridged. Anywho, I have an MSI Ti4200, it has mirror finished copper heat sinks on each side. The pins do a lousy job of holding the heat spreaders to the RAM ships (sometimes it only touches half a RAM chip), so I need the thermal adhesive to hold everything down so I the heat spreader will touch everypart of the RAM chips. Here are my questions:

1) I know I only have five minutes per batch before it gels, help with getting this stuff on quickly?

2) Should I put it on the GPU too? Or use the old thermal adhesive on the GPU, and use the adhesive just on the RAM? Should I put some thermal adhesive on the back of the GPU (the heat spreader dips down and touches it a little).

3) How long does it take it to burn in?

4) Any other hints/ tips?

I'm going to do the GPU side first, then the back side, using clamps to hold it in place till it dries.

Oh yah, when I get this done and o/c this bugger, I want to have it so that I can run the desktop with my primary intake fan on low, and just switch the fan to medium when I play games. WHen I test during the o/c, I will be using medium, but how can I tell that the card will be cool enough running hte desktop with the intake fan on low?

Whew, sry for the long post, but I had to address all that, thx alot for any replies and help. During the process I'm going to put my old GF2 in here so I can read updates. Thx again, : peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:
    -400MHz FSB i850 Intel mobo
    -P4 Williamette Socket 478, 1.9GHz
    -768MB 16-bit PC800 RDRAM
    -MSI GF4 Ti4200 128MB @ 284/581
    -7200 RPM Maxtors: 60GB (2MB) on mobo and 160GB (8MB) on ATA/133 PCI Card
    -Creative Inspire T7700 7.1 Speaker System on an Audigy 2
    -Windows XP Home Edition SP2

Rock on : peace2: , MiStA K6

I think you should forget about the thermal adhesive,and just use ceramique with factory push pins[no need for clamps]Btw,the ceramique is quite thick and not runny like other thermal grease.Plus if you do use the adhesive,you'll have a hard time removing heatsink in the future.Btw,ceramique is applied differently than other thermal grease so go look at arctic silver website for instructions.

Good luck in your quest for more performance!:thumb:
    A friend of mine,a friend of ours.
    What do i call you?

:rofl: lol, thx for the reply, but that is the problem, the factory pins DONT hold the heat spreaders to the RAM chips worth crap. I already applied the adhesive, I couldnt wait. Before hand I wiped down everything (chips, heatsink, fan, etc) with rubbing alcohol so that it was spotless (no thermal grease left anywhere, except on the GPU, I didnt touch the GPU) and then mixed and applied. It's very difficult to get everything done in those 5 minutes, but I did it, clamped it, and it looks great. right now it's been drying for about 2 hours and I can still dent it with my thumb, so it hasnt solidified yet. Anywho,, I'm hoping it will be done so I can test the card tonite. If not, I'll have to wait till tomorroe, *sigh* :( . : peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:

Quote Originally Posted by Mista K6
    :rofl: lol, thx for the reply, but that is the problem, the factory pins DONT hold the heat spreaders to the RAM chips worth crap. I already applied the adhesive, I couldnt wait. Before hand I wiped down everything (chips, heatsink, fan, etc) with rubbing alcohol so that it was spotless (no thermal grease left anywhere, except on the GPU, I didnt touch the GPU) and then mixed and applied. It's very difficult to get everything done in those 5 minutes, but I did it, clamped it, and it looks great. right now it's been drying for about 2 hours and I can still dent it with my thumb, so it hasnt solidified yet. Anywho,, I'm hoping it will be done so I can test the card tonite. If not, I'll have to wait till tomorroe, *sigh* :( . : peace2: Mista K6
    Please post your results after testing.Btw,do you have the msi 4200-8x w/toptech cooling?because I have one and was thinking about removing heatsink and reappying with arctic silver[ceramique].
    What do i call you?

hmm... I dunno the name, it looks like this , only its not a 4600, lol. What happens is the two pins dont hold the heat spreaders against the RAM chips, hence I cant o/c them well (I only hit 581, and after a bit UT2003 started skipping on me). Well, that thermal adhesive really cemented the chips to the spreader. I might have put it on a little thick in areas, but I went for more than less (as I saw what less does), and I only had 5 min to do both sides. The card looks really nice, but I couldnt plug it in tonite, its still not as solid as I'd like it. Tomorrow when I get home from school I'm going to put it in, and then test. Any ideas for testing? I usually use UT2003, I'll probably use 3DMark2001 too. The highest I've hit safely was 291/581. Now that I've installed two intake fans (had none before when I tested) and a cyclone blower right below the card, I'm hoping I can hit at least 300/600. My goal is to get the RAM to 620, but a 110MHz over clock in pushing it. Anyways, we shall see, I'll post as soon as I hit my high. : peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:

hmm... I dunno the name, it looks like this , only its not a 4600, lol. What happens is the two pins dont hold the heat spreaders against the RAM chips, hence I cant o/c them well (I only hit 581, and after a bit UT2003 started skipping on me). Well, that thermal adhesive really cemented the chips to the spreader. I might have put it on a little thick in areas, but I went for more than less (as I saw what less does), and I only had 5 min to do both sides. The card looks really nice, but I couldnt plug it in tonite, its still not as solid as I'd like it. Tomorrow when I get home from school I'm going to put it in, and then test. Any ideas for testing? I usually use UT2003, I'll probably use 3DMark2001 too. The highest I've hit safely was 291/581. Now that I've installed two intake fans (had none before when I tested) and a cyclone blower right below the card, I'm hoping I can hit at least 300/600. My goal is to get the RAM to 620, but a 110MHz over clock in pushing it. Anyways, we shall see, I'll post as soon as I hit my high. : peace2: Mista K6
    Hey friend, we have the same card,my card's fan is noisy sometimes on cold boots,but usually goes away in 1 or 2 minutes[6 months old].
    Anyway as for suggestions for testing,I would let your adhesive burn in with your system at default speed for recommended time.Also before doing anything i would recheck everything,make sure nothing's going to fall off.In your post you didn't mention if you had any exhaust fans on your system,I would recommend having something to draw heat away from case.As for testing just using the computer,the usual suspects[games,benchmarks]
    Just keep an eye on your temps also make sure everything working reliably and stable.Later man.: peace:
    What do i call you?

ahem, I was looking through my software when I put the card back in there today, and found something called "MSI 3D! Turbo Experience." It turns out that it is the most complete overclocking program I have ever seen. Check the pic. Too bad I cant compare it to before :( . I have a 92mm exhaust next to my passive CPU HS, and a cyclone blower underneath my Ti4200; I have a 60mm blowing on my CPU HS, an an 80mm in the lower front corner of my right panel to bring in cool air around the Ti4200. This thing even has a temp (the probe touches the heat spreader right next to the core, as I didnt want to put it on the core for fear of obstruciton of heat dissapation). It's 34/35C with the fan on low and everything stock, not bad, room temp is about 21. Well, I'm going to run UT2003 and 3dMark2001 for a couple of hours to burn in the thermal adhesive (although it probably wont do much, as its hard, unlike thermal grease). Then I'll o/c the bugger. The pic is everything running stock. I dont know if I want to up the voltages, as I only have a 250watt PSU and I heard it was bad to mess with the AGP. Correct me if I'm wrong, maybe I can get some more juice outta this card :D . I'll reply when I start o/cing, : peace2: Mista K6

P.S., sry for the larger pic :o .
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:

Lol, oh yah, here's the pic. :o :D
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:

Ok, I ran UT2003 for about 1hr 15min, and then o/c'd. I'm a little disappointed, but then again the adhesive might not have burned in yet. Right now it runs stable at 280/594, no jumps or skips in UT2003 or 3dmark2001. I think UT2003 is a little mroe sensitive to heat, it picked up the artifacts as soon as I opened it with the RAM at 608 (next setting) or the core at 290 (next setting). I could also run it at 290/581, but I think that the faster RAM gives better performance. The temp probe says 40C when I'm done playing UT2003. If the Heatspreader temp next the the GPU raises 5C with o/cing, I guess that substantial. Also, could the artifacts be because of lack of voltages, and not heat? J/w. Anyways, I'll run the comp like this for a while, maybe this weekend I'll try upping it a little further. Cheers, : peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:

Ok, I ran UT2003 for about 1hr 15min, and then o/c'd. I'm a little disappointed, but then again the adhesive might not have burned in yet. Right now it runs stable at 280/594, no jumps or skips in UT2003 or 3dmark2001. I think UT2003 is a little mroe sensitive to heat, it picked up the artifacts as soon as I opened it with the RAM at 608 (next setting) or the core at 290 (next setting). I could also run it at 290/581, but I think that the faster RAM gives better performance. The temp probe says 40C when I'm done playing UT2003. If the Heatspreader temp next the the GPU raises 5C with o/cing, I guess that substantial. Also, could the artifacts be because of lack of voltages, and not heat? J/w. Anyways, I'll run the comp like this for a while, maybe this weekend I'll try upping it a little further. Cheers, : peace2: Mista K6
    The artifacts are most likely because of your high memory overclock and,or heat issues.Just to be sure,try leaving case panel off and have fan blowing cool air into your case,then run ut2003 and see.If you don't get any artifacts,then it heat issue.I've read the memory on your card isn't great for overclocking[slower than other brands].Also how are you running a fully loaded system on a 250w p/s,wow!and your processor might be holding you back, eh.Btw,can you use msi overclock program with nvidia's drivers,or do have to use drivers from MSI?
    What do i call you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information