Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 fold question... bus speeds, glitch, overclocking

I have a three fold question...
    My current setup is as follows:

Giga-byte GA-7N400-L, Barton 2500+, Major Brand 512M pc3200 400mhz RAM, GeForce FX 5200 128M, SB Audigy Sound, Thermaltake Xaser III (7 fans) Case, Thermaltake 460W Silent Purepower pwr supply.

Question 1. The MB supports 400mhz, and the RAM is 400mhz, yet the Barton chip is 333mhz.
    Should I be wary of this when setting up the BIOS?
    Been running the RAM at 400, currently trying 333.
    CPU at 166*11.0
    everything pretty much at default settings. The reason I ask is because of the issues in Question 2.

Question 2.
    I bought the system and assembled it myself, as I have done with all my systems. It seems to continue dropping out of games like Planetside.. sometimes even restarting altogether.. unless I remove that option from Startup and Recovery options in XP. I have replaced every component but the CPU and the power supply, so I doubt it is a hardware problem. I have installed and reinstalled XP Pro more times than I can count, but to no avail. Any ideas?

Question 3.
    Overclocking.. after I stabilize this system, does anyone have any safe but worthwhile overclocking settings for this setup? And are there any key factors for this setup that I should be wary of?

I apologize for the length of this thread but I've been reading threads for weeks now to find some insight to the problems, and these are my collective queries. I hope they arent too vague. Please ask me to clarify if need be and I will.

Thanks for your time.
    Life can be rough.. like sandpaper..

It is very possible that we may be able to answer all three of your questions at once.

Though the memory is rated at 400MHz, you will have no problems running it at a slower bus speed. The speed rating is simply the fastest that the memory is designed to run at with near perfect stability. That said, you may be running into problems due to the higher memory speeds. The nForce chipsets are notorious for getting pissy when you adjust the memory to run at a faster speed than the FSB. And since we now know we want the FSB and memory to run at synchronized speeds, try kicking up the base FSB to 200MHz to match your memory speeds. This will in essence make your system a 3200+ rig.

Good luck! :D
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Wow.. well I set the FSB to 200mhz.. i upped the vcore overvoltage to 7.5% (+5%, +7.5% and +10% were the options).. i have the memory running at 400mhz, normal timings (8, 4, 4, 3.0).. i have the AGP kept steady at 66mhz.. CPU Thermal throttling at 50%.. (that all sound about right?).. and so far it seems to be running sound at 3200+. CPU temp up from 42 to 50 ish. But I got 7 fans in the case and 2 in the power supply that I haven't turned the rpms up on yet.
    I'm impressed... hopefully it stays solid. I will run some benchmarks. Thanks so much.
    As for the dropping out of progs.. that will take a few days of testing.. but I tried Planetside and it ran solidly for the first time in ages.
    I have tinkered with o/cing this system quite a bit. could never get it close to 3200 before.. and all it took was a paragraph from you Darth.. thanks a tonne. That's the kind of help I love... effective help.
    Should I leave the dimm and video voltage at normal?
    Any other Bios adjustments you can recommend for this setup?
    Anything to watch for?

Thanks again bro.

nice work, try to run some games or strese test to see if ur computer is stable at high cpu intest programs

try prime95 or toast.
    My new gaming rig..

[size=1.28]asus a78nx-deluxe
    2x256mb pc 3200 ddr 400.(with cooling)
    athlon Xp 2500+ ( at 200x10=2000mhz .)
    seagate 80gb 8mb SATA
    Tt vlocano 7+ cpu cooling
    Clear case from HK.
    Leaktek fx5600 128mb
    enermax 350w PSU
    wireless internet setup[/size]

(game/ftp server) windows xp pro, duron 1.4ghz, 256mb pc 2100 2x40gb Hd, radeon 9200se chieftec dragon
    canada price watch :)

If you aren't having any instability issues, then there should be no reason to raise the voltages of the VDIMM or VAGP. You may have to raise the VDIMM, however, if you decide to get more aggressive on the memory timings.

As for BIOS tweaking, the BIOS Optimization Guide over at Adrian's Rojak Pot is one of the best I've yet found online. It is also updated frequently.
    My Toys

Great.. thanks again. I am currently stress testing. Might take a few days to see worthwhile results.
    And thanks for the tip.. I will check out that optimization guide. As for more aggressive memory timings.. i'm a noob. Been reading up on it tho.
    Is there any obvious increase in performance o/cing the memory? My MB supports dual channel.. but I only have one stick of ram.. which makes that option useless until I grab another stick. Anyone know if Major Brand 512M 400mhz pc3200 ram is stable for o/cing?

Well.. I was just playing Planetside.. i'm in the middle of a game.. the screen goes black and the computer just restarts out of the blue. This is the problem I have been having for so long now.
    When Windows loads up again it says it recovered from a serious error. When I get the error analysis back it says the problem is "caused by a device driver".
    Over the last few months I have tried new and older MB drivers... video drivers.. even sound drivers.
    But the same thing always happens... the computer just up and restarts. It's always when I am playing a game. I figured it might be the vid card.. so I replaced it. Same problem.
    I ran toast before playing Planetside, for a half hour.. cpu temp went up to around 58.. but no problems.
    the only hardware I havent replaced since this started happening is the CPU and the power supply.
    any ideas?

GeForceFX boards are having known problems with newer games due to some sort of a glitch in the Detonator Driver pack. As far as I am aware, this problem has yet to be fixed, but hopefully it will be taken care of soon.

Considering your own statement, though, I would look at the video board as being the problem. You stress the system and it remains perfectly stable. You crack open a high-detail graphically rich game and it hacks up a hairball. I think you'll find you're on the right track.

As to your memory question, just check out the "What Should I Buy" threads and you'll find several views on quality memory.
    My Toys

I have never heard of this "glitch". I don't have the problem.

Normally when it reboots out of the blue, its one of two things:

1. CPU pushed too far/Not enough vcore

2. RAM pushed too far/Not enough vdimm

If you can raise the voltage by 1 notch on one of them, it might help. If it doesn't, try the other. It's probably not stable.

FX5900 - 3DMark2001 [20,566] - 3DMark2003 [7,281] - Aquamark3 [56,694]
    Ti4400 - 3DMark2001 [16,028]

Well.. after I remove the option in Startup and Recovery to reboot windows.. it no longer restarts.. it simply freezes the game and drops to the desktop.
    But the thing is.. it even freezes up when I am playing Age of Empires 2... which isnt a graphics intensive game.
    I have tried upping the voltages.. to no avail.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information