Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: My VGA Overclocking Adventure

Today I start my OC adventure. I am going to overclock my Radeon 9500 PRO.

To do this, I have a downloaded Powerstrip and a new overclockable version of my VGA BIOS.

To start off, let me ask if anyone has ever done this before using this card or if anyone knows enough about overclocking this particualr card to give me some advice. I have done some minimal research, but I would value an opinion from you guys.

Now, the first thing I did was download Powerstrip to try and oc my card. IT didn't work and the card froze. After setting the settings back to default I went to go research the subject.

Here is what i discovered:

The 9500 does have a lot of overclocking potential, just not with its current BIOS. This card has the same GPU as the 9700(okay u are right, old news) just half the piplines. Basically this is what the guy who made the overclockable BIOS said:

"I did a comparison of the 9700Pro BIOS, the 9700 non-pro BIOS, and the 9500Pro BIOS and was able to find the one hexidecimal value that is keeping the 9500Pro and 9700 non-pro from overclocking.

Address Line: 00000070h
    Originally: 44 76 4E 37 91 08 02 10 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

Edited: 44 76 4E 37 90 08 02 10 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

ATi is setting the same hex value on the 9500Pro and 9700 non-pro to keep them from overclocking. I tested this change on both a 9700 non-pro and 9500Pro and it works. All of the overclocking utilities functioned correctly...Rage3D Tweak works great with it!

Download the new 9500Pro/9500non-pro/9700non-pro overclockable BIOS's and the newest version of ATIFLASH here:

http://www.3dchipset.com/bios/index.php

You may need to uninstall/reinstall your ATi Drivers and Control Panel."

So what I am going to do now is flash the BIOS for my VGA with his BIOS which btw has been tested at many places.

Than I intend to overclock it as much as possible.

Where I need help is that I don't know how to flash my BIOS and make a copy of my old one. I am at a loss there. Thank you for helping me. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

:thumb:

BTW, if anyone wants any links to the sites I looked at, just ask!

In order to overclock any of ATIs non-pro cards you have to flash the BIOS to Pro.

FX5900 - 3DMark2001 [20,566] - 3DMark2003 [7,281] - Aquamark3 [56,694]
    Ti4400 - 3DMark2001 [16,028]

Yeah I do have PRO video card. Hmmm maybe I don't have to flash my BIOS. Anyways, sorry about not keeping this project up to date. I just got back from a trip.

Ok well i have done it! My card has now been converted to a 9700 PRO. Performance has definately been increased with the overclocking i have done.

Currently my clocks are 320(core) 300(memory) and rising. By tomorrow evening, they should be even better.

The temps seem to be ok and stability is good. I will inform you about any other developments. If you want to know how i did it or want to ask questions, just post and I will get in touch with ya.

Thanx, Chaos

Ok guys my clock speeds are at 337/303 and running stable. But....Houston we ahve a problem. In Battlefield 1942 the game is choppy, no matter the speed of the card. At stock speeds it is the same level of choppiness as my maximum clock.

So far I have fiddled with the performance/quality settings both in display properties and in the game, but still to no avail.

Right now I am planning to reinstall the game. If you have any suggestions, please reply. Thank you.

The choppiness is probably lag, especially if you have a slower net connection :cheers:

TheyNeverKnew:
    uh huh, i see, really? Who said I was using the internet to play the game!

As far as the lag, I found out that my cpu is at fault. I turned the number AI BOTS down to 50% and it works perfectly. But why did it work good before I flashed the BIOS? Also the difficulty level is at impossible at all levels. Is my processor just all of the sudden lacking power or what? Thank you for you input.

What's your case cooling like? O/c'd cards put out alot more heat than when stock, if your case cooling is less than adequate, that extra heat could be hurting your CPU. What kind of HSF and thermal grease do you have on your CPU? You have to remember that by overclocking one part of your system, the heat still spreads around the case, affecting other parts. If your cooling isnt moving air fast enough, you could have problems. My guess would be check the case temp (using the desk fan blowing against your open case) and see if it helps. If your CPU is under tremendous stress punching out AI calculations for many "impossible" difficulty bots, heat does not help it at all. Check you case flow, card cooling, and CPU cooling and give us the info, then we'll see what we can do. Good luck, : peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:
    -400MHz FSB i850 Intel mobo
    -P4 Williamette Socket 478, 1.9GHz
    -768MB 16-bit PC800 RDRAM
    -MSI GF4 Ti4200 128MB @ 284/581
    -7200 RPM Maxtors: 60GB (2MB) on mobo and 160GB (8MB) on ATA/133 PCI Card
    -Creative Inspire T7700 7.1 Speaker System on an Audigy 2
    -Windows XP Home Edition SP2

Rock on : peace2: , MiStA K6

I though of that too, and at a tops of 84 degrees, usuallly running at 80, I didn't this that the MOBO was that hot. The proc. is running at 92. And besides, even at stock speeds, the screen jitters.

I think though that I might dump Intel Application Accelerator as I installed it right before OCing the card, so maybe it is at fault.

But thank you for the help.

Thread Information