Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: About overclocking

Why wouldn't you be able to OC with an OEM, and what does OEM stand for??? I always thought that meant that a cpu didn't come with a heatsink and fan lol.....

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer

in the computer world it can have a couple meanings. It can be a piece of hardware without any extras, such as your CPU example. When refering to a complete system, it usually means a pre-configured setup; which in most cases means cheaper hardware with limited options. That usually means little or no overclocking... but like I've said before (in other threads), it depends on who built the system and which specific parts they used. If it's a main-stream PC (i.e. Dell, Gateway, Compaq) you stand very little chance of overclocking successfully. But if you bought it from a relatively small outfit you may or may not have any OC potential
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Thanks for explaining that, I understand now. So I have a prebuilt Sony pc, with a few hardware changes, like video card, and network card, and I was wondering, since I have an OEM SiS650 chipset, do I stand any chance of ocing??? How can I check all my OCing options??? Anyone know the command to get into BIOS options if I have a stupid Sony splash screen??? Thanks a lot.

P.S. Im running 100 FSB for god's sake..........

Nope, OEM computers have pretty much no chance of overclocking...unless you use a windows-based program such as CPUFSB.
    Case: Aspire X-Alien Silver
    Power Supply: Antec True430
    Motherboard: Abit IC7-MAX3
    Processor: Pentium 4 2.6c
    Memory: Corsair XMS PC3500 1024MB(512x2)
    Video Card: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
    Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy 2
    Speakers: Logitech Z-680

Quote Originally Posted by Mike2010
    Nope, OEM computers have pretty much no chance of overclocking...unless you use a windows-based program such as CPUFSB.
    Tell me more about this CPUFSB........

You will still have very limited success with that becuase you can't change multipliers, ram timings, voltages or dividers which you need to do when overclocking a system.

FX5900 - 3DMark2001 [20,566] - 3DMark2003 [7,281] - Aquamark3 [56,694]
    Ti4400 - 3DMark2001 [16,028]

Couldn't I atleast somewhat raise my godforsaken FSB speed of 100 with it though???? Im running a P4 2ghz at an FSB of 100..........ouch.....

Well, here is CPUFSB, make sure you know your PLL frequency and whatever else the program needs.

http://www.podien.onlinehome.de/CPUFSB.HTM
    Case: Aspire X-Alien Silver
    Power Supply: Antec True430
    Motherboard: Abit IC7-MAX3
    Processor: Pentium 4 2.6c
    Memory: Corsair XMS PC3500 1024MB(512x2)
    Video Card: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
    Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy 2
    Speakers: Logitech Z-680

Ok, I got CPUFSB, but what do I tweak in it??? I am a 100% newb to overclocking, except for maybe some Rage3D vid card tweaking.

If someone tells me to read a guide, please post a direct link, because I am very stupid, and don't know where to find them on this site(wtf is gizmos and gadgets guide????). Thanks.

Personally I'd leave ya current PC as is and start plannin' to build ya self a new one that ya can have some real fun with. : peace2:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information