Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice please..

Picked up a DFI lanparty pro MB (if ya havent heard of them yet check link)

http://www.pcextreme.net/dfi-lanpartypro875.php

along with a 2.8c 800fsb CPU, Barracuda 120 gig SATA hard drive, FX5900 (128meg version) video, Sony DVD burner

The case is a Scorpio Mini Z with 2 intake, 2 exhaust and 1 side vent fans, (room for 2 more intake if i need them) controlled with a Zalman ZF-MFC1 rheobus.
    link to case: http://www.circotech.com/sc868wmizmec.html

Im at a loss on which ram to get. im leaning towards the Kingston hyperX KHXPC3200, but not positive whats my best bet for overclocking purposes with this setup....knowledgable advice appreciated, back up your choice with a small explanation of your reasoning if possible...thanks in advance

Oldtimer

If money not be an issue, pick up Twin 512mb Kingston, OCZ, or Corsair PC400

well, after laying out the cash for the rest of the system, money gets tight now on the RAM purchase. Present plan is to stick at 512 ram (2x256). The hyperX im looking hard at is paired 256s.

Oldtimer

Like amd_man said if you can afford it go with PC4000 (DDR500) memory. The Kingston hyperX KHXPC3200 is very good but will never go as higher as a PC4000 dimm when overclocking! You can find some test comparing ddr memory, dont remember where tho... maybe Tom's Hardware or Anandtech.
    SYX -=AMD Powered=-
    AMD 1800+ @ 1880Mhz on A7S333 , 250 Meg DDR 333 Platinum @2-2-2-6
    Asus TNT 2 32 meg (128) , 250W ATX, 200W AT (same case)
    Steel automotive intake fan (see avatar) , 3X40mm exaust fans in the back

Alright then, Id go for Twin 256mb BUFFALO TECHNOLIGIES PC3700, as they go for about $60US a stick ,and its damn good RAM

Ok after some looking, the hyperX KHXPC3200 is $143.00 for the 512matched pair, and the KHXPC4000 only $158.00 for the matched pair.

Glad I asked, with only 15 bucks difference, I wouldve been kickin myself in the ass later if I had went with the 3200.

The big question in my mind was that the board calls for the 400DDR, and didnt know it could use the 500DDR without issues. Thanks for the replies.

Any problems that might surface over the 500DDR?

Also, any speculation on the overclock this setup could hit given good luck on the CPU draw?

Oldtimer

You wont have any problem, all that does is gives you plenty of OC head room

Quote Originally Posted by amd_man2003
    You wont have any problem, all that it does is gives you is plenty of OC head room
    Sorry but I can't guarantee against incompatabilities but they should work.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggo
    Sorry but I can't guarantee against incompatabilities but they should work.
    True, but Ive not heaerd of any incompatibilities of Buffalo Tech or Kingston on that, or any 875 mobos.

Alright then, Id go for Twin 256mb BUFFALO TECHNOLIGIES PC3700, as they go for about US a stick ,and its damn good RAM
    hey man , where do they sell that for 60 bucks a stick? hope they ship to canada. thanks dude

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information