Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to overclocking can someone have look pls

I have a Athlon XP 2800+ barton , and would like to change my motherboard as i was a bit silly and bought a POS Compaq.

So i think i have decided on a gigabyte board to use
    http://www.i-tech.com.au/products/item1114.asp

is this board easy to overclock and do i need to do any mods to the processor to overclock

The GA-7N400 pro2 is a great board. Gigabyte is a great company when it comes to motherboard. I used to own a Gigabyte, but now change to MSi. As for overclocking, every motherboard offers different stuff. However, 95% of today's motherboards have great overclocking feature. As for the board you chose, you can overclock through the bios. No, you don't need any special mod to do it. The BIOS of that board will alllow you to overclock the FSB, memory, and AGP, also the voltages. I don't know whether it will automatically unlock the multiplier for you or not, as my MSI Delta-L did. Most motherboards that have Nforce2 or Ultra will do that for you automatically. If that board does unlock the multiplier without special mod, more power to you. good luck overclocking. Oh, almost forgot, a good way to overclock is go up a few Mhz in FSB at a time, run for a while, if it's stable, then go up some more. You don't want to fry that new motherboard now :) . I got a Barton 2500+ overclock it to 2.15Ghz, runs very stable.:cheers:

Cheers for the reply ! :D

what speed ram do you run with that barton ?

im guessing that the 2500+ is 333 fsb aswell

so what speed did you get it up to ?

http://www.premium.net.au/productdet...de=MBAMDLPNFII

i have been looking around abit further and it seems this board is quite good aswell , have you heard and news from others about it ?

it comes for an extra $120

but i know that it will unlock all overclocking options.

I don't want to discourage you, but if you bought a ready made system, it probably came with PC2700 RAM, i.e. RAM for a FSB of 166 resp. 333 MHz.

For overclocking, I strongly suggest to have your system run at a FSB of 200/400 MHz. Personally, I prefer to decrease the multiplier (internal clock) of the CPU and raise the FSB (external clock). If you merely raise the multiplier, your RAM will be a bottleneck in your system.

So, if your RAM supports a FSB of 200/400 MHz, you're lucky, if not, you should consider getting new RAM and sell your old ones at eBay.

By the way, when it comes to overclocking, I suggest the ABIT NF7-S Rev 2. I got my 2500+ running at 215*11.5 = 2472 MHz, which should be something like an imaginary 3600+ or 3800+...
    Found spelling errors? Grammatical flaws? Congratulations, you may keep it.

Gigabyte mobo's are very good but I only use them in stock to mid overclockin' PC's (I own 2 myself). Like MSI ones they really arn't meant for the more extreme overclockers either as they just don't have enough adjustments where as the EPoX 8RDA3+ and Abit NF7-S2 do (I use the EPoX mobo's myself as they're cheaper here than Abit and ASUS A7N8X ver. 2.0 which would rate as 3rd in my books). As Zarathustra stated, with good PC3200-3500 rated memory the XP2800+ will pull very good figures when forced to a 200+MHz FSB. I've an XP2600+ that runs @ 11.5x200MHz which is 2.3GHz but it has run a few times @ 11.5x220MHz for 2.53GHz very well though I don't like pushin' it too far as it runs 24/7 under a full constant load (SETI@home crunchin'). : peace2:

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggo
    I've an XP2600+ that runs @ 11.5x200MHz which is 2.3GHz but it has run a few times @ 11.5x220MHz for 2.53GHz very well though I don't like pushin' it too far as it runs 24/7 under a full constant load (SETI@home crunchin'). : peace2:
    :wow: Wow, I didn't know you've had it pushed that far Wiggo :thumb:

I have but I just don't think that it's worth runnin' a CPU on the edge 24/7 under full load as it's likely to shorten the life of it.

yep you were right i do have pc2700 ram so il get some more with my motherboard .

i have decide on the EPoX 8RDA3+ like you suggested and the best price i can find is $160 aud .

will have it in about 3 days.

i am obviously going to need some extra cooling, got any recomendations on kits of a couple of fans and controller?

also cpu coolers?

also would this be the ram to go for

http://www.i-tech.com.au/products/item104.asp

corsair value ram

abit lean on funds now

what size case should i be looking at getting ?

my compaq mother board is really small only 3 pci and 1 agp

im guessing that my new board isnt going to fit in it, what do you think?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information