Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: overclocking 1.8 p4

ok first time didnt work i think. im trying to overclock my computer and need massive help. what i have is.....

asus p4b266-la mobo
    1.8 p4
    fsb is 400 mhz
    memory speed is pc2100/pc1600
    512 mb ram

internal clock is 1793.34
    system bus 398.52
    system clock 99.63
    multiplyer 18.0
    memory 512m 132.84 mhz

i keep reading about changing the bios, but when i went to bios i couldnt change anything remotely close to what it says on these forums. what am i doing wrong? i read about closed processors.
    how do i know if mine is closed and if the next one i buy is closed?

i downloaded a computer probe program from asus and it says my volts are out of whack. supposed to be 12v + or - 10%
    and its at 7.55. is this how they slowed the processor down? if so how do i change it?

Now if I remember rightly that mobo is one of ASUS' OEM ones which usually is found in HP computers and they have no overclockin' options what so ever. That ASUS program is know for bein' very inaccurate at times as well and if ya PC is stable then I'd ignore those readings. If by "closed" do ya mean "multiplier locked"? If ya do then yes Intel has done this for many years now so ya can forget about manipulatin' the multiplier on them.

Original PM by repomaninalabam
    [B]only way to overclock is with new motherboard then?
    New mobo, memory and possibly a power supply as well (if a Name Brand PC then the wiring maybe non-standard which is why a new PSU will be needed) but that CPU may not overclock well either. Typically I suggest to ppl with these types of PC's to leave them as they are and plan on building a complete new system with all the features that they require to meet their needs.

Thread Information