Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: want to build and need advice

since i cant overclock what i have and i have to have better i decided to build one, but not sure whats good and dont want to buy things twce. so heres what im looking at. i would appreciate any help on this if you see something wont match up. thx

thermalake xaser III v100d case
    antec sl450 450w power supply
    gigabyte mobo ga-8knxp
    kingston pc4000 512mb sdram
    p4 3.0 norwood
    adaptec ultra160 scsi 19160

am i leaving anything out? other then a video and sound card

PC4000 memory is useless with a P4 3.0 processor unless you use some sort of exotic cooling to get your FSB at 250mhz. You should get a 2.4c or a 2.6c, then you can make use of your memory with good air cooling.
    Case: Aspire X-Alien Silver
    Power Supply: Antec True430
    Motherboard: Abit IC7-MAX3
    Processor: Pentium 4 2.6c
    Memory: Corsair XMS PC3500 1024MB(512x2)
    Video Card: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
    Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy 2
    Speakers: Logitech Z-680

Dude, alot of that stuff is over kill. Personally I WOULD WAIT to build that case until PCI-Express comes out, in feburary, as it is oging to change the entire format of graphics cards and mobos, rendering whatever you buy now un-upgradeable . If you still wanna go build, get an MSI Neo2 FIS2R mobo, a 2.6GHz P4 C (800FSB), and get an SATA WD for a system drive, and two WD raptor drives in a RAID 0 format for gaming/speed, if you want one of hte fastest set ups. SCSI drives really arent for PC's, they're for servers. Anyways, I would wait. : peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:
    -400MHz FSB i850 Intel mobo
    -P4 Williamette Socket 478, 1.9GHz
    -768MB 16-bit PC800 RDRAM
    -MSI GF4 Ti4200 128MB @ 284/581
    -7200 RPM Maxtors: 60GB (2MB) on mobo and 160GB (8MB) on ATA/133 PCI Card
    -Creative Inspire T7700 7.1 Speaker System on an Audigy 2
    -Windows XP Home Edition SP2

Rock on : peace2: , MiStA K6

why would the memory be useless with a 3.0? and why would it be better to go with a 2.4 or 2.6? i could then only overclock it somewhere around 3.o anyways right? the case i selected has 7 fans in it. shouldnt that cool it enough? and the board has a fsb of 400. im lost here i thought the idea was faster. i understand the waiting until the 64 bit processor come out, but i thought it wasnt stable yet. at $741 my wife would kill me if i fried it. i do like the 1600 fsb though. overkill? is that like to much money? car to fast? to much sex? wife doesnt care to much about what i spend so why not go with the most i can get? she might not let me do it again (specially if i fry a $741 processor).

Intel uses a locked multiplier in their line of processors. Since the 3.0GHz model has a preset multiplier that is a good deal higher than the 2.4C versions, you don't have enough headroom for overclocking. That is why you are being told the PC4000 memory is overkill. But take a look at the results of others who are overclocking and you'll see the 2.4C is consistantly getting speeds in the 3.2-3.6GHz range. This isn't a guarantee that you would be as successful, but the odds are good for some good horsepower at a lesser cost.

Regarding your choice of motherboard, since you're already talking about overclocking the system, why not look into the Asus line (I believe the P4C800 is the one I've been hearing a lot of good talk about). They are killer enthusiast boards that are gaining a lot of respect.

Just out of curiosity, why SCSI? The speed difference is only useful if you're handling database or server type functions. You will get just as good results in an enthusiast rig by using the standard IDE hard drives with the 8MB cache built in. The added cost of SCSI really isn't necessary even when performance is your goal.

I can understand wanting to spend money to get a top of the line system, but there is still no need to throw money away for no reason. ;)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

what cooling ar u going to use? if u ar using normal air cooling i find the pc4000 to be too much. pc 3500 will do just fine.

also get SATA HD instead. like 2x 36gb raptor HD or just 80gb seagate 7200rpm sata HD.
    My new gaming rig..

[size=1.28]asus a78nx-deluxe
    2x256mb pc 3200 ddr 400.(with cooling)
    athlon Xp 2500+ ( at 200x10=2000mhz .)
    seagate 80gb 8mb SATA
    Tt vlocano 7+ cpu cooling
    Clear case from HK.
    Leaktek fx5600 128mb
    enermax 350w PSU
    wireless internet setup[/size]

(game/ftp server) windows xp pro, duron 1.4ghz, 256mb pc 2100 2x40gb Hd, radeon 9200se chieftec dragon
    canada price watch :)

I'd also suggest the 2.4C but I wouldn't go any further than the 2.6C (A 2.4C overclocked to 3GHz would be around as fast as a stock 3.2C). I'd certainly forget about SCSI as well but atm I'm still not keen on SATA either and would just suggest a WD JB800. I'd also suggest the ASUS P4P800 Deluxe or P4P800S-E Deluxe (the later is a newer version of the former) as I can't see the point of spendin' more for the i875 versions.

Yes, I'd recommend 2 WD Raptors in Raid0, which is about the same performance as using a SCSI hard drive except much cheaper.
    Case: Aspire X-Alien Silver
    Power Supply: Antec True430
    Motherboard: Abit IC7-MAX3
    Processor: Pentium 4 2.6c
    Memory: Corsair XMS PC3500 1024MB(512x2)
    Video Card: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
    Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy 2
    Speakers: Logitech Z-680

thanks for clearing alot of my questions up. should i go with a amd processor instead of intel? whick is best to oc? i think i may wait for the 64 bit proceesor. but what about the rumors ive read about it not being stable? hate to spend the money for nothing. i really didnt think cooling was an issue since the case has 7 fans. is that not enough? im kinda lost because im sick of this machine. what is the fastest anyone has oc'd one so far? like i said b4 wife may only let me do this once so i would really like to get the most b4 she sees how much i've spent. thanks for all ur help

ATM the P4C's are the better overclockers and performers (not includin' the 64bit Athlons) but I've yet to hear of these so called rumours on the 64bit Athlons. I wouldn't consider a 64bit Athlon at this time (maybe around March/April that will change with a new core and better mobo's appearin' around then). 7 fans are more than enough when ya consider that I have a few similar UNEEC clone cases and they do excellently with just 5 fans.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information