Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-8SIML + Overclocking - how?

Hi people,

my father just bought a pre-built machine which came with the Gigabyte GA-8SIML Rev1.0 mobo and a Celeron 2.2Ghz chip... after showing him how much slower this machine was compaired to his old PIII 500 at Seti he asked me if I could overclock it... well, there are plenty of reviews that say you can overclock on this mobo but when im in the bios I cannot change any setting regarding the cpu because its just greyed out and I cant even get to select it because it just wont let me...

now this prolly has an early bios on it or one where the PC manufactured had made to stop people blowing up their new pc's so is there anyway I can overclock this? is there a jumper on the mobo that allows overclocking or will I have to flash the bios?

I tried flashing the bios with one from the gigabyte website and it complained of an ID error. Now the Manufacture is a part of the NEC group (Packard Bell - explains alot about this machine) and has labeled alot of stuff as NEC so im thinking they may have set it up so the mobo only takes their bios releases officially... can disable ID checking but that worries me slightly.

Tried to use CPUfsb to overclock but it doesnt support the version of the PLL chip it has. CPUfsb has the 952001 chip but this mobo has the 952001AF chip and so it doesnt work... I tried none the less but it didnt work.

anything else I can try to get some more speed out of this setup without spending a fortune on it?

That's an OEM mobo made by Gigabyte but have ya tried SoftFSB? :?:

just tried it... doesnt have the setting for the pll chip... trying to find the spec sheet for the pll so heres hoping I can do something with that.

Thread Information