Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Overclocking an HP

Have a look at the ASUS P4P800/P4P800 Deluxe and some very fast PC3200/3500/3700 memory (PC4000 will do but the timings are much slower). Oh and if ya case is a mini-tower or desktop case (sorry but ya havn't supplied the HP model number) ya'll likey need to buy a proper case to fit any decent board in.

madmike I applaud you for taking an interest in your PC

Now I think this discussion has taken a decidedly positive step in the right direction! :thumb:

Fact is, the capability of your CPU is already far ahead of what the rest of your system is capable of. The data has to arrive at the CPU in order to be processed.

First things first - come as close as possible to meeting the high demand for data that a hard-charging processor like a P4 2.6 places upon the RAM and HDD.

Getting some RAM that can more efficiently feed the hungry monster is a solid step on the path to achieving better performance.

Most certainly, a HDD that can move the 1's and 0's around a bit faster is also highly desirable.

Personally I've nothing whatsoever against overclocking - It's Great Sport!

But with the system you have, essentially pursuing an overclock would be getting the cart before the horse.

I'm guessing your processor processes just fine. It simply needs a better stream of data to process with.

The darn things just had a lot of time to lounge around because it sits there waiting for something to do an awful lot of the time.

You continue doing your homework madmike.
    I think in time you will get yourself set up and ready to do some serious processing.

I feel your addressing the real issue now, and that can only lead to good results.

Have fun!
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

I think my case is pretty big, here's a couple pictures of it and of the card reader i was talking about.
    Pentium 4 CPU 2.60GHz @ 3.4 ghz
    ABIT A17 Motherboard
    1 GB PC3700 DDR-SDRAM
    Nvidia Geforce FX 6800 GT core 400 mem 1050
    Watercooled CPU and GPU
    WD 80 GB 7200rpm HDD
    WD 250 GB 7200 HDD
    Atapi CD-ROM 48x
    HP DVD Writer 300n
    Realtek 6 Channel Audio
    Windows XP Professional
    430 watt Antec TruePower

-the card reader
    ABIT A17 Motherboard
    1 GB PC3700 DDR-SDRAM
    Watercooled CPU and GPU
    WD 80 GB 7200rpm HDD
    WD 250 GB 7200 HDD
    Atapi CD-ROM 48x
    HP DVD Writer 300n
    Realtek 6 Channel Audio
    Windows XP Professional
    430 watt Antec TruePower

a good way to tell if your case is a decent size is by how many expansion slots are on the board. a normal size board will have 5 + the agp slot. i think most hp's only have 3 slots. Im not to sure about your case but my old hp is tiny compared to my midi case. you'll want to get a new case anyway just so you can upgrade your power supply and your cooling. hope this helps:)

Yeah Radicus you're right, my case only has 3 expansion slots not counting my AGP. :yuc:

i dont know how far i want to go with this pc, i might wait for a 64 bit processor rig to pour my money into, but i would like to know about installing RAM, cuz im confused with having boards with different speeds, also i was looking into maybe getting a fast HDD if its worth it.

...but the main thing that has got me going is that my roomate's Dell computer boots up in like 3 seconds, whereas mine is like 12.

What ive been using to measure is the number of times the bar goes by on the windows splash screen, his is 1.5 times and mine happens about 6 and it drives me nuts!:grr:

granted he does have a 3.06 gHz and a 7200rpm HDD which is better than mine, but is that really whats making his boot up so much faster than mine?
    ABIT A17 Motherboard
    1 GB PC3700 DDR-SDRAM
    Watercooled CPU and GPU
    WD 80 GB 7200rpm HDD
    WD 250 GB 7200 HDD
    Atapi CD-ROM 48x
    HP DVD Writer 300n
    Realtek 6 Channel Audio
    Windows XP Professional
    430 watt Antec TruePower

Several factors affect the boot time.
    The easiest to tweak would be the number of programs that start with Windows (ie. all that clutter in the system tray).

Ctrl+Alt+Del to see just how many goodies are running immediately following completion of the boot process.

And yes, ATA settings, HDD rotation speed and seek times are all major factors with boot up times.
    Being as all the data necessary to Windows resides on the HDD, the faster the data can be read, transferred and processed the faster the OS will arrive at a ready-to-use state.

No doubt, a HDD capable of moving data at a faster pace would definitely result in a PC that works faster.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Ok thanks Mr. C,

Yeah i have spent hours taking things out of startup. After i get passed the windows splash screen the computer is practically fully loaded, its just the splash that takes time.

I think i will take your advice about the HDD :thumb:

But i would still like to know more about memory...
    ABIT A17 Motherboard
    1 GB PC3700 DDR-SDRAM
    Watercooled CPU and GPU
    WD 80 GB 7200rpm HDD
    WD 250 GB 7200 HDD
    Atapi CD-ROM 48x
    HP DVD Writer 300n
    Realtek 6 Channel Audio
    Windows XP Professional
    430 watt Antec TruePower

Upon closer comparison, theres not much difference between something like an asus p4p800 and a p4sd-la, lack of ocing, different lan controler and lack of sata as far as I know. I don't think you are going to miss these things anytime soon. As for the 2 less pci slots, most remain empty anyway. Aparently you have dual channel ram capability.
    So the situation is not as bad as you think, no need to panic. No need to run out right away and almost rebuy your pc again. Here are some links that will give you some info about what you got and similar products.
    My advice is to do lots of research. And start with a new case in the meantime.
    p4sd-la specs and pic

intel 865 pe specs
    asus p4p800 specs
    athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
    tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
    asus a7n8xe-dlx
    thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
    bfg 6800gt
    seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
    samsung dvdrw
    2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
    logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
    2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
    creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
    mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
    DFI infinity nf4 ultra
    thermaltake tsunami dream -black
    seagate sataII 500gb
    evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
    samsung sata dvd-rw
    2x1024 ocz black
    logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
    ocz fatal1ty 550w

hey thanks alot for the info maximus7001 :wave:

yeah i guess your right, right now im thinking of upgrading merely my hard drive to a 7200 rpm, and my memory. I still dont know if its ok if i mix 2700 and 3200 ram though.

...the quest continues! ;)
    ABIT A17 Motherboard
    1 GB PC3700 DDR-SDRAM
    Watercooled CPU and GPU
    WD 80 GB 7200rpm HDD
    WD 250 GB 7200 HDD
    Atapi CD-ROM 48x
    HP DVD Writer 300n
    Realtek 6 Channel Audio
    Windows XP Professional