Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Please Help Me and My HP....

I have an HP Pavillion 522c. Yes I know I know..

I was reading a modding book today and heard about overclocking. I would love to be able to overclock my system. But I figured that I should talk to experts about it first and see if its possible. This is my sytem specs:

XP Perfessional
    AMD XP, 1666 MHz (6.25x267) 2000+
    MSI MS-6367N2 Motherboard
    nVIDIA nForce 220D
    256 (PC2100 DDR SDRAM)
    Award Medalion (09/04/02) Bios
    nVidia GeForce2 Integrated CPU (32MB) With latest updat

I have looked in my BIOS and there was no setting to change CPU speed.

Please state any comments. Wheter it is a suggestion or critisisumn. Im usually on AIM if you want to get to me through there.

Thank You

You may wish to refer to this thread;
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/showthre...threadid=15388

Be advised, as I have stated in the other thread - "overclocking is not a magic cure-all to PC performance."

Fact is, by it's very nature and components you're HP machine was not ever designed with performance in mind.
    Profit and reliability were likely the primary considerations of the design.

Firstly you should consider what means you can implement to get the data to the processor in a more efficient manner. Truth is your CPU is probably spending a lot of time just waiting for data to arrive so it can begin processing.

I've always believed that overclocking is the LAST step to be taken in tweaking a system.
    Before one begins overclocking it is always beneficial to do everything else that one can do to improve PC performance.

ie.;
    Ensuring the data can reach the processor in a timely and efficient manner - this involves chipset drivers, RAM timings and specifications and HDD speed and specifications.
    (as you'll note in the thread at the link above, the HDD speed of that system severly hampers the performance of the system - no overclock can in any way do anything to alleviate that loss of performance.)

Also, tweaking Windows itself to work in an efficient manner. Many things can be done within the OS itself to increase performance. Several fine articles that provide guidance on this topic are available on this site. http://www.tweaktown.com/document.ph...review&dId=434 is just one of several available at TweakTown.

The point I'm trying to make is simply this.
    Overclocking will not produce any valid results of great measure in and of itself, if it is not supported well by the hardware and software capabilities of the system being overclocked.

Kudos to you for taking an interest in the performance of your PC!
    I truly believe that with a good deal of study, combined with hard work and perhaps some money spent on a higher grade of components for your system, better performance can surely be achieved.

But to expect much from just doing an overclock will often leave you displeased with the result as likely you will end up with a system that has a CPU which runs faster yet is incapable of doing much because the data still cannot reach the CPU in a timely manner to allow any real gain in performance.

I'm not trying to discourage you from overclocking, not at all.
    I'm simply saying, "Don't get the cart before the horse.".
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Thank You Alot/ I gotta say you were right to the point. I can understand where you are coming from. I just wanted to know if it was possible with my computer. I had recently skimmed through a moding book and wanted see if it was possible. But I will now try the other ways you told me to increase performance. Thank You:thumb:

Take your time.
    Thorough research is vital.
    Change no more than 1 setting at a time and test thoroughly before proceeding further.
    Know what you changed and how to set it back like it was before in case it doesn't work well.

Proper tweaking can be a painstaking trial and error process. Be patient, it takes time.

Best of luck! :thumb:
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Thread Information