Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: P4 Northwood 2.67 ghz Overclocking????

Well, I experienced my first downfall of overclocking, I have my P4 2.67 ghz. Northwood on a MSI 655 Max (SiS655) with ram thats nothing outta the ordinary Elixer is the brand I do believe, and a decent cooling system and I had my pci / agp bus clocked at 74/76 and I set my FSB at 168 and was pumping out pretty steadily at 3.36 ghz. which I was more then satisfied with, and then after a couple hours of gaming everything was perfect, and then....it locked up, and restarted and said one of my system32 files was corrupted and needed to be repaired so, I had to reformat and reinstall Windows XP which was a ***** and don't feel like doing that again.

But, I would like some opinions on what I could overclock it too that would be safe, and not locking everything up. I'm still new to the whole voltage thing, so if I could maybe get some information on it that would be safe for my computer so I wouldn't have to redo everyyyyyyyything all over again. because as of right now I'm afraid to overclock anything. So if someone could help me out with what I should do to set up a stable overclocked system it would be greatly appreciated! :p
    ~*KennyGSlim*~

I just flashed my Pentium 4 2.5a to 3.0, so for your 2.67, I'd go to around 3.1-3.2 GHz. Unless you have good cooling, you'll want to leave it at that. I've had absolutely no problems, and it's barely running any hotter than it is normally.
    This is where my signature would go had my host not been such a Bandwidth Nazi.

Yeah, but what should I set my voltage at? And do you think I should still try to overclock my AGP / PCI bus? I just don't want to take the risk of having to redo everyyyyyyything all over again on my comp. And if I do overclock again what is a safe voltage I could use? Or should I just leave it set as auto?
    ~*KennyGSlim*~

The agp/pci do not need to be overclocked, its better to lock the agp and pci.
    CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
    Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
    RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
    GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
    PSU: Thermaltake 500w
    SC: Audigy 2 zs
    LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
    Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
    Mouse: Logitech G5

Quote Originally Posted by SearanoX
    I just flashed my Pentium 4 2.5a to 3.0, so for your 2.67, I'd go to around 3.1-3.2 GHz. Unless you have good cooling, you'll want to leave it at that. I've had absolutely no problems, and it's barely running any hotter than it is normally.
    I take it that ya mean that ya upgraded ya BIOS by fashin' it and then raisin' the FSB of the CPU because ya don't flash CPU's. :?:

kennygslim the spec'd speed of the AGP/PCI buses is 66/33 so with your settin' the hard drive controller would've been runnin' well above what its rated for and thus corrupted data.

Yeah, Wiggo, that's what I did...without upgrading the BIOS. But yeah, I did increase the FSB.

*is new to overclocking*

*will learn in time*
    This is where my signature would go had my host not been such a Bandwidth Nazi.

Thread Information