Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Noob questions

Hello everyone,
    I need your help, I am totally confused. The last time that I really researched computers was about 2 years ago when I last upgraded, now everything has changed (no surprise). I used to consider myself pretty knowledgable in computers but, now I feel like a dumb@$$. Ok, now on to my questions.
    1.Memory, I have been researching this topic for days and I can't figure out a few things. I am planning on upgrading to the following configuration.
    Abit Is7
    P4 2.6c
    PC 3500 ram
    I am looking at Corsair XMS Extreme Memory. I only think that I need 512mb so that is decided. What configuration should I use though, should I get 4 128mb chips since some people say that having 4 chips is better than 1 or 2. Or should I just get one since it is a bit cheaper. Do you think that by having 3700 compared to 3500 it will be much better? Do I really need to move above 2.7v for the memory. Do I have the best motherboard for my configuration? Any help is much appreciated.

2. Processors
    Alright, this is quick. Should I go with the 2.4c or the 2.6c for my configuration. Does having a 2.4c mean that I can o'clock to 3.0 pretty stable and the 2.6 o'clock to 3.2 pretty stable. I know that it can't be that simple. I see that alot of people are going with the 2.4c but I am not sure for what reason. I am guessing that you can bump up your FSB a little more. Also, is that really any better.
    On one note, I just got a 9800pro that I got to replace my 8500le and my system is not keeping up at all.
    Here is my current configuration.

P4 2.0 Willy
    ASUS p4t-E
    Samsung PC 800 memory (Rambus)
    ATI 9800 Pro
    IBM Harddrives 30 & 60GB

Also, I was looking at EBAY to sell my old memory and it is expensive as hell. Does this mean that I can sell my Samsung PC800 memory for over 100 bucks? That seems pretty good to me unless I am missing something. Sorry for all the questions but, I know you can help me out.
    Thanks
    Dre'

I have to add my great scores

With my 8500LE 128 I scored
    3DMARK 2001SE = 8165
    3DMARK03 = 1366

Now with my 9800 Pro I scored
    3DMARK 2001SE = 11451
    3DMARK03 = 5290

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore Marine
    1.Memory, I have been researching this topic for days and I can't figure out a few things. I am planning on upgrading to the following configuration.
    Abit Is7
    P4 2.6c
    PC 3500 ram
    I am looking at Corsair XMS Extreme Memory. I only think that I need 512mb so that is decided. What configuration should I use though, should I get 4 128mb chips since some people say that having 4 chips is better than 1 or 2. Or should I just get one since it is a bit cheaper. Do you think that by having 3700 compared to 3500 it will be much better? Do I really need to move above 2.7v for the memory. Do I have the best motherboard for my configuration? Any help is much appreciated.
    Stick with 2 sticks to run in dual channel mode. MUCH better than only having one, and better than 4 as well as that pushes things and will lower overclocking stability (it takes more power to run more memory). You won't need high volts unless you are going to be overclocking the memory, but I believe that board has up to 2.9v. I would suggest the Abit AI7 instead though, as it is a revised version of the IS7 and has more options and less bugs. I am seeing a lot of good results from it, and its only around 5 at newegg. In my opinion it is the best 865 board.
    [b]
    2. Processors
    Alright, this is quick. Should I go with the 2.4c or the 2.6c for my configuration. Does having a 2.4c mean that I can o'clock to 3.0 pretty stable and the 2.6 o'clock to 3.2 pretty stable. I know that it can't be that simple. I see that alot of people are going with the 2.4c but I am not sure for what reason. I am guessing that you can bump up your FSB a little more. Also, is that really any better.
    It is that simple. A simple increasing of the FSB to 250 and switching to the 5:4 ratio will net you 3.0Ghz from a 2.4.

How high do you want to go?

I suggest this:
    Abit AI7
    Kingston HyperX 3200 (KHX3200/256 is the model number, get 2 sticks of this, don't worry about a dual channel kit its the same thing).

This is some of the best memory in the world because it utilizes the BH5 memory chips (which are now out of production and are only going to dry up). With that board you could get them up to 240mhz with the fastest 2-2-2-5 timings. This will outperform anything with "PC4000" on it with ease.

With a 2.4, you could run 300fsb 5:4 2-2-2-5 and with that 9800 Pro you would be seeing 20-23k in 3DMark01. Now not all chips can do this, you will just have to see how far it will go. But the memory is essential to the combination.

The reason is other memory gets stuck in the 250-255fsb range (3ghz). I don't know why, but even with a divider to drop the memory speed (5:4) it just won't boot. Memory incompatibility I call it. There are many people that have run into this problem. I got my HyperX and have taken my 2.4c to 3.5Ghz since.

There was nothing wrong with your original setup, but this one will be faster, for one thing it will have a higher FSB speed, and second RAM timings do make a difference.

Another memory that uses these BH5 chips is Mushkin Black 3500 Level II although they get expensive.

FX5900 - 3DMark2001 [20,566] - 3DMark2003 [7,281] - Aquamark3 [56,694]
    Ti4400 - 3DMark2001 [16,028]

soulburner,
    That is really good info. Thanks for responding so quickly. I was just seriously considering bumping my front side bus to 533 on my mobo and just replacing the processor with a 2.4b. This way I could keep my memory and mobo for now.
    Compare a 2.4b at 3.0 and a 2.4c at 3.0, will that 800mhz really improve performance that much more. I know that I can overclock the memory with the pc3200 but, will it really make my score that much better?
    Dre'

The 800mhz FSB makes a large difference

So, if I run my memory timings to 2-2-2-5, what does that do exactly? How high will I be pushing my FSB then? Also, I have been hearing alot of talk about Corsair, Munshkin, and OCZ. How does the Kingston compare?

Thread Information