Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: xp1700 overclockin g question

hi guys, i am kinda new to this OC'ing, but am very curious.
    i have succesfully unlock my xp 1700 multiplier (using the hispeedpc unlocking kit) and running at 12x 137 = 1644mhz on msi6380(kt266a) mobo with tt volcano 9 hsf stable. My question is, why I cant lower my multiplier and raise my fsb instead of the other way around. When I lowered it my system would lock up and have to reset the cmos. It is my understanding that I would get better performance in the game that i play (RTCW) if i have a lower multiplier and higher fsb combination for overclocking. The weird thing is that i have higher FPS rate at 11x142 (1562mHz) rather than at 12x137 (1644mHz) :shrug:
    Any ideas anyone?
    Thanks;

-hyperave aka mP40 of Operation Psycho Patrol

xp1700@1.6ghz
    msi6380(kt266a)
    geil pc3200 512mb
    radeon 9700pro

It's the limitations of the old VIA KT266A chipset. There are no AGP/PCI dividers above 133MHz for it and as that old chipset uses the PCI bus for the north and south bridges to communicate those dividers are a must (the higher the FSB the more unstable the AGP/PCI buses become) unlike modern chipsets which use a dedicated communications link between those bridges thus the AGP/PCI buses can be isolated/locked (the KT333 does have the 166MHz dividers though).

ahhh... i figured that the old chipset would be the culprit.
    So in your opinion how much can push this old cpu? I am getting
    a new mobo Abit NF7-S ver. 2 with a stick of corsair xms 512mb pc3200, what would be better to do? lower my multiplier and raise the fsb or the other way around?
    Anyways thanks for ur reply

-hyperave aka mP 40 of Operation Psycho Patrol

Lowerin' the multiplier and raisin' the FSB does improve performance but how much ya'll get out of that CPU only you can find out though if ya only usin' a stock HSF then gettin' a better one would help ya get further.

Thread Information