Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overclocking a no go

Well, Hmmm. :mad: :mad: :mad:
    My 2.4c isn't overclcoking and I don't understand why. I'm using Apogee overclocker...downloaded from www.chaintech.com.tw
    Its on the back of my mobo box (9cjs zenith) so I figure it should work. Anyways, First attempt I went and upped it from 200x12 to 220x12. Went fine until 10 seconds later when My comp froze. I say ok, no problem, I'll just work my way up slower.
    btw, my temps are around 80f/27c Idle. Not more than 94f in games.
    So, I up it to 204. Shouldn't cause any problems, however, Same thing happened. Freeze in 10 seconds. Whats the problem here? Is there another better overclocking utility I should use or what?

Since you have a overclockable bios! use it!
    CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
    Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
    RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
    GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
    PSU: Thermaltake 500w
    SC: Audigy 2 zs
    LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
    Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
    Mouse: Logitech G5

It's very rare that software will do a good overclock so go into the BIOS and do it properly as most likely ya need to raise voltages for the core and memory plus make sure that the AGP/PCI buses are locked at their spec values and dependin' on ya memory (which ya didn't state) ya may have to set the CPU/memory ratio for it to 5:4 or even 4:3.

Ok, thanks. I'll do it in the bios, but really, why would chaintech make a product that doesn't work?
    Btw ,my memory is two sticks of 512 Crucial PC3200

It has nothing to do with the mobo. It's your crap ram.

Set your divider to 5:4 and try it. You should be able to do 250 5:4 easily. Might have to raise the voltage to 1.575 but I doubt it. That will put you right at 3.0.

Sorry for my ignorance but I'm very new, What does 5:4 mean and how would I set it to that?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe89
    Sorry for my ignorance but I'm very new, What does 5:4 mean and how would I set it to that?
    That is the CPU/memory ratio and as ya PC3200 is already runnin' at its spec speed with the CPU's FSB at stock speeds ya'll need to slow the memory down and this I think is found under the Advanced Chipset Features in your BIOS in Memory Frequency For (I can't be positive on this as I've never used this board) and when ya change it from Auto ya should either get a choice of 1:1, 5:4 and 3:2 or 400MHz, 333MHz or 266MHz so ya should choose either 5:4 or 333MHz. That way ya can overclock the CPU's FSB while keepin' the memory within its spec'd rate.

Ok, I'm currently On my moms Dell so I can post this...
    On my comp, I got it set to 220 x 12 from 200 x 12. Now all the sudden it gets stuck at Detecting IDE Drives... when booting up. I can't enter setup to clock it back to normal. My dvdrom is on the ide and my raptor is on Sata. Won't detect either of them. HELP! I CAN'T BOOT UP:tears: :tears:

Just clear the CMOS (this proceedure is outlined in the mobo's manual).

Just reset your BIOS. Look in your mobo manual, and look for where the bios reset switch is, open up your computer, and it should boot up again:thumb:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information