Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: XP Unlocking kit

What's basically happened is this:

I removed my fan, heatsink and CPU to find out the model number for ya. I removed a sticker from over the top of the L1 bridges on the chip - that's all I've done. I gace the whole area underneath and around the CPU a darned good vacuuming because it was thick with dust, then I reassembled the lot.

I'm running with an FSB speed of 143 and Vcore of 1.8v at the moment which is giving me a clock speed of 1572mhz compared to the stock 1466mhz and the CPU is being recognised as an XP1900. I'm checking for instabilities right now.

I'm dumbfounded as to why it has happened all of a sudden but there you go!

There may have been a little corrosion or dust around the CPU pins so when ya removed the HSF the pins moved creatatin' a better contact with the socket or just basically the dust build up was shortin' something that affected the FSB but who really knows? :shrug:
    Ya did re-apply some heat tranfer compound I hope b4 ya reinstalled the HSF I hope? :?:

Of course buddy ;) although I only realised just as I came to reassemble so I had to nip over to a neighbour's house to borrow some.

I've settled on 1.75v and 1539mhz for stability which is an improvement over 1466mhz.

My Mobo was only designed to take XP1800 tops so that's probably why it's throwing a fit everytime I step into XP1900 territory.

Does this mean even with the multiplier adjustment I can't really take it above what it's at now or will the multiplier affect a completely different set of issues?

Actually there's a BIOS upgrade listed here for support up to XP2100.

Right then - my BIOS is updated now but it doesn't appear to have made any appreciable difference to how high and can overclock the FSB. Anything over 140 still behaves erratically.

Will I still be able to overclock the multipliers once I've unlocked the CPU or is this as far as it goes now?

BTW I've ordered a Coolermaster CP5-8JD1F-0L Upto XP3200+ Silent Skt A Heatsink & Fan - it's a monster so hopefully it should help keep thinks cool inside the case.

Unlike more modern chipsets that have a dedicated communications bus between the north and south bridges your's uses the PCI bus so it must rise with the FSB and obviously at around 140MHz something on that bus is findin' it hard goin'. Manipulatin' the mutlipier is ya only bet at gettin' more out of that CPU (a lot of those were able to get to XP2100+ speeds and some even further).

Well I'm in the best position possible for it now thanx to the advice and encouragement I've received through this forum.

I've learned a helluva lot about a helluva lot in the last couple of days. :thumb: Thanx Wiggo and everyone else who chipped in.:thumb:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information