Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Troubles OC'ing my currect System

Hello everyone, just got turned on to the TweakTown and id like to say thanks to those for all the helpful posts that are abound. I know it's made myself at least somewhat more OC savvy. And im sorry for the post, its probably rehash for more, but ive searched and im sure its posted somewhere else but I couldnt really get an exact solution for my current case. So here we go:

System specs

P4 2.8mhz 800fsb stock
    Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
    2x 512 Corsair XMS matched pair PC3700( <-ugh, i didnt know at the time!) with CPU-Z readings at 2.5, 3, 3, 6
    Radeon 9800 pro 256 (<---again, another purchase i regret)

Before I posted this, I oc'd and bumped up fsb to 235-245 range with mixed results meaning some boots some not. Tried upping vcore voltage up slowly when i got problems with no results.

Im slightly sleepy so my thinking process isnt that great but im also having alittle trouble understanding what voltages to bump up (if any) regarding agp/pci and the fsb/ram ration (which is currently at 1:1)

Any advice is very much welcome and again sorry for the rehash. Although im sure some of you guys enjoy schooling us up and comers :D

-Tyren

one thing to do is set your latency to 2....that XMS could fly.....

When changing lateny to 2, would I have to change either of the other figures or voltage or anything?

Thanks

With that system you're going to want to keep it in 1:1, because most Heat sink/fans cant cool a 2.8C running at 3.5GHz, which would be the next ration of 5:4. What HSF are you using anyway? Make sure you keep your AGP/PCI buses locked, as they will limit your o/cing if they arent, not to mention they could get damaged. What temps are you currently running at and what kind of cas and fan configuration do you have? If you're going to keep it running at 200FSB (800FSB effective) then up the voltage to your RAM, say to 2.7, and see if you can run CAS 2 (instead of 2.5) stabley. If you want to o/c the FSB again, then you might have to back off on the tight timings, maybe even go to stock 3-4-4-8. Pending on what cooling you're using, you should be able to pull 235FSB at least. Basically, just keep upping the FSB while keeping an eye on your temps. If they system crashes but your temps are fine, give it some more voltage for stability, or back off on the RAM timings. I like to keep load temps <50C (run 3dMark2001 or another intense program in loops to test for stability and load temps), but you can go up to 55C if you want. : peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:
    -400MHz FSB i850 Intel mobo
    -P4 Williamette Socket 478, 1.9GHz
    -768MB 16-bit PC800 RDRAM
    -MSI GF4 Ti4200 128MB @ 284/581
    -7200 RPM Maxtors: 60GB (2MB) on mobo and 160GB (8MB) on ATA/133 PCI Card
    -Creative Inspire T7700 7.1 Speaker System on an Audigy 2
    -Windows XP Home Edition SP2

Rock on : peace2: , MiStA K6

Quote Originally Posted by gar187er
    one thing to do is set your latency to 2....that XMS could fly.....
    Anthing over PC3500 is goin' to have lousy timings and tryin' to lower them will likely cause more harm than good (they're rated at those timings for a reason at their rated speed which Tyren is tryin' to exceed). :roll:

Tyren, once ya go past 233MHz (which is what that memory is rated for) ya likely goin' to either boost the memory voltage up or throw the 5:4 divider in (change DRAM Freqency to 320). Another thing is don't push the CPU voltage past 1.7v as this can also cause probs (what are ya voltage settings for CPU and memory anyway?). Havin' a 2.8C don't expect to get the high FSB's that us ppl with 2.4C's do.

Thanks everyone for the tips and advice so far...its much appreciated. I look forward to tweak with my system when I get home from work. :wink:

As far as cooling and cpu fan..im afraid its all stock at the moment. Case, I went with a http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...129-125&depa=0 No additional fans...yet. Any recommendations on a good cpu fan along with case fans where I dont necessarily sacrifice power for noise? I'd like a quite system if at all possible.

When I built this system I had a small amount of cpu knowledge which i feel now is pretty adequate. But at the time I didnt have any thermal paste...but I have some good stuff now which I hope will lower my cpu temp a few degrees.

Currently my ASUS software monitors my CPU temp at 40-42C with MB at 29C. Thats of course through 'software' and on idle. Im alittle concerned why my cpu temp is at 40~ when its been on idle all day...seems alittle high no? Luckily my room temp is fairly cool. (I live in alaska!)

Current voltage is on vcore is set at 1.525. Voltage on ram i BELIEVE is at 2.55 off the top of my head.

Thanks for the tips so far!

Thread Information