Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gecube 9600XT-G Overclocking problems

ok just did a full omega catalyst 4.3 install fallowing the instructions in the guide on this site. Turned fast write off, turned write combining off, and ran 3dmark with stock clock settings (499/325). Got a 3758 :?

Ok so right after that i juiced the clock to 550/350 and ran ArtifactTester 5 (a util that comes with the omega drivers) first i ran it on average and no artificats so then i switched to 'hardcore' and still no artifacts. Right after that (i would assume the gpu is hot/warm by now and liable to crash) I ran 3dmakr and scored 4097 with no crashes. Whats going on? Then I run tony hawk pro skater 4 for like 15min and it crashes to the desktop?

Quote Originally Posted by tacos4me
    What kind of cooling do you have on it? Can you give us a pic?
    If you would have looked at the link he gave us, you would have seen the card, and its cooling :wink:
    The card is covered by that decal, you cant see crap for what its cooling is. Does it have a seperate GPU HSF and RAM sinks, or is it one solid plate, is it just a GPU cooler? etc etc.

I dont know much about 3dMark03, but is that that far off from a normal score for that system? Given that 3dMark03 bases most of its test on video card. : peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:
    -400MHz FSB i850 Intel mobo
    -P4 Williamette Socket 478, 1.9GHz
    -768MB 16-bit PC800 RDRAM
    -MSI GF4 Ti4200 128MB @ 284/581
    -7200 RPM Maxtors: 60GB (2MB) on mobo and 160GB (8MB) on ATA/133 PCI Card
    -Creative Inspire T7700 7.1 Speaker System on an Audigy 2
    -Windows XP Home Edition SP2

Rock on : peace2: , MiStA K6

its a huge heatsink and the fan and on the other side of the gpu there are heatsinks too. It doesnt make sens the regular 9600xt built by radeon overclocks so much with a small cooler and this barely does with a huge cooler? what gives?

Bad airflow, bad power supply, or you are stuck with a crappy overclocker. It happens. :? For your 3dmark03 score, that score is about right, and you hit 4k, if i recall that is pretty good for that card.
    CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
    Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
    RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
    GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
    PSU: Thermaltake 500w
    SC: Audigy 2 zs
    LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
    Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
    Mouse: Logitech G5

whats the temp rating supposed to be on these cards MAX? F and C?

the psu is antec and it is pretty good i think. Maybe its not even heat related, it just crashes to the desktop its not like its getting to hot and producing artifiacts or usual signs of overheat issues. There are two ramsinks on the back and that huge cooler on the front. goddamn im stumped

Quote Originally Posted by bluestreak84
    the psu is antec and it is pretty good i think. Maybe its not even heat related, it just crashes to the desktop its not like its getting to hot and producing artifiacts or usual signs of overheat issues. There are two ramsinks on the back and that huge cooler on the front. goddamn im stumped
    If ya usin' WinXP have ya checked the Event Viewer for any red tagged errors under a pplications or system? :?:

just checked, nothin...

I have exactly the same card with exactly the same problems, so im not sure wether it's a design fault or wether it's something else.

Ok, for starters i can tell you that the cooling solution for the card is absolute crap, and i hope someone working for GeCube is reading this because if your the one who designed this cooling solution then you need to get your ass fired! The cooling solution consists of a large aluminium (which heats up quite a bit) base plate which covers the gpu and also the ram. I would like to point out that the front of the ram is actually covered with thermal pads which are covered over by the aluminium base plate, making for extremely BAD cooling of the ram. I wonder why they took all the time to attach decent ramsinks to the back of the card but didnt think twice about the front of it...

Secondly the fan for the gpu isnt that powerful at all, and is designed to blow air sideways onto the aluminium base plate for cooling, but what i noticed is that the aluminium base plate is actually covered up with a plastic sheet on the top, which in fact TRAPS heat.

Lastly the baseplate is held onto the card by two plastic pins that are spaced too far apart to ensure a good, solid connection. Try moving the aluminium base plate and i bet you'll find it moves more then easily, which means CRAPPY CONNECTION.

But, me being absolutely stupid, voided my warranty and decided to take the plastic sheeting off the top of the card for better airflow and add good thermal paste to the ramsinks and gpu. I then added a casefan right over my craphics card to ensure great airflow and cooling and uppped the agp voltage to 1.7 and guess what i acheived?

Absolutely nothing. I have an MSI 865PE Neo 2 mainboard with the latest bios installed with all the latest drivers installed and i can tell you that to put it simply, this card has issues. Im thinking of seeing if i can return it through ATI, as it still works fine if you dont overclock it.

Put simply: If you have any intention of overclocking, DO NOT BUY THIS CARD!

-razorscott2yk

2004-01-16 Gecube Radeon 9600XT series R96XTG-C3 gets the Best Overclock awards !!

Wow ! Another ENCORE for Gecube Game Blaster !!

Outbeating all its competitors for the same Radeon 9600XT series,

Game Buster R96XTG-C3 receives the award for "Best Overclock" award.

http://www.oc.com.tw/article/0401/re...le.asp?id=2235
    From main site..
    X-Dreamer Case w/ Window
    Enermax 660w PSU
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+ @ 2.2Ghz
    Asus K8V Deluxe
    Corsair XMS 256x2 MB DDR500
    1xWD Raptor 74GB 10,000 RPM
    4x300GB WD 5400 RPM 8mb
    Ati Radeon 9800XT (440/780)
    Pioneer 8x DVD-RW
    Samsung 173v 17' LCD