Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Upgrading from Athlon 2600 to 3000

A while ago I purchased an AOpen AK79D-400VN mobo with AMD Athlon 2600 Thoroughbred CPU and 2x256 Corsair PC-400 value memory. I have the FSB pushed from 333 to 362 FSB (the max it will take at any multiplier) on 1.775V and the memory pushed to 454. It runs good on Prime95 at these settings, although it gets a little hot under the Volcano 10 with PS exhausting and 2 more fans set for exhaust and intake. Question is: Should I leave this alone or upgrade to the Athlon 3000 @ 400 FSB. WHat would be the techincal justification for doing this? What kind of performance gains can I expect to see if I did the upgrade?

Before AMD released it's Mobile chips that wouldn't be a bad choice.
    If you can get your hands one an AMD 2600+ M or a AMD 2500+ M that would be the best investment you could meake. The problem with AMD Athlon XP's right now is that they will most likely be multiplier locked. If you buy a AMD 3000+ with FSB set at 400MHz that would mean your overclocking potential is very limited, since pushing your FSB past 220MHz could be too taxing for your memory or other components (PCI for example).

I've written a thread regarding the OC potential of this chip, but it seems either nobody has heard about it or they think the OC potential of these chips is too good to be true. The truth of the matter is that these are the best chips you can get. With these chips you are virtually guaranteed to leave a stock 3200+ in the dust, reaching equivalent 4000+ speeds on air cooling. Check this out:

" ...
    For those of you who haven't read about this, AMD Mobile 2500+ are actually the best of the AMD Bartons 2500+ being produced, because they are able to perform at lower voltages, 1.45V instead of 1.65V, which is a must for notebooks. All 2500+ chips are built the same way, but the ones that pass the 1.45V test in stable conditions are marked and distributed as Mobile chips. Since notebooks change speeds in order to conserve power these puppies have to be unlocked. So if you buy a mobile 2500+ not only are you getting the best of the 2500+ CPUs that being produced, but you are also guaranteed to get an unlocked processor.

Now here's the best part, people have reported being able to reach 2700MHz OC speeds with these CPUs, and this on air cooling alone! Now that's kinda the limit, but your almost guaranteed to reach 2500MHz on decent air cooling and without having to raise Vcore as much as with Barton chips. For 2500MHz a Vcore of 1.75V is supposed to work just fine. Since your working with lower Vcore settings temps are also kept lower. The beauty is that these CPUs cost only a few bucks more than normal Bartons.

At first I was thinking about getting a water cooling kit for my setup but now I can't wait to get my Mobile 2500+ chip from newegg and check how far I can push my system with a better HSF (I'm also getting a Swiftech MCX-462 Heatsink with a Thermaltake variable speed fan pushing from 26CFM to 72CFM). Since ambient temps here in Costa are on the high side I will see if in fact it is true that a 2500MHz OC is as guaranteed as they say.

I will report back with benchmarking and temp results as soon as I install it. For now I would appreciate it if anybody that has tested these chips could post their results or experiences with Mobile chips on this thread.

In case anybody wants to read about these chips and their amazing potential you can find more info on the following link:

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Ha...Features/XP-M/
    "
    Hope that helps!
    -AMD Barton 2600+ @190MHz x 11.5
    -2x512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200 (2.0-2-3-11)
    -Thermaltake Silent Purepower 480W PSU
    -Cooler Master X-Dream HSF (lapped)
    -Sapphire ATI 9500 @ 9700 331/293
    -Plextor 708-A 8X DVD+-RW
    -lite on 32x12x40x CDRW
    -5 Cooler Master case fans
    -Nexus 3 1/2" fan controller

THe 3000+ Barton is running 2500 at stock 200X12.5. At 220 FSB I'm running at 2750. Since my memory is already running at 454 won't this match up perfectly and not cause bottlenecks with the CPU? This thing is getting too hot. It goes up above 63* C at full load and sets off the alarm (whose settings range from 50* to 70*, currently set at 63*. It never runs below 40*) PCI runs at 33, and on my mobo can be set separately, as can AGP and RAM. Whatcha think? :roll: :roll: :?: :idea: :arrow: :wink: :cry: :lol: :o :( 8) :? :) :D :shock: Sorry, mouse went spastic...

So you already got the 3000+.
    Well to be honest with you I wouldn't run that chip at those speeds (2750MHz). That's kinda pushing your luck too far. I'm actually surprised you were able to get that far. Better try a setting that keeps load temps under 55C or better yet 50C, because otherwise your CPU won't last very long. I actually recommended the mobile chip because of it's ability to reach 2400MHz to 2500MHz at decent temps (around 50C load temps) with air cooling. It's not just that it is able to reach those speeds, the thing is that because it is a chip that can reach amazing speeds at much lower Vcore settings, generally 1.7V or 1.75V, temps are overall much lower than with normal desktop Athlon XP chips. That in turn will reflect in longer life and better stability.

For any CPU I would recommend using a setting that keeps temps at least under 55C at full load and is stable enough to run programs like Prime95 for at least a couple of hours. If you start pushing beyond that point, you could eventually fry you chip or have a system that behaves erratically.
    -lite on 32x12x40x CDRW

No, I'm still running the 2600. I wouldn't have asked for advice after the fact,

Edit:
    The temp readings are for the 2600. I just stated that at stock the 3000 runs at 2.5G and at 220 runst at 2.75GHz The 220 FSB is a numbrer that provides results close to the 2700 you mentioned in your post and is just speculation.

Ok here are the spec's for AMD 3000+ directly from the AMD site:

http://139.95.253.214/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=75,E=0000000000149647450,K=8522,Sxi=18,Case=ob j(1224)

I you follow that link you will notice the AMD 3000+ with 200x2 FSB has a multiplier of 10.5, that means CPU speed is at 2.167GHz

Now you should take into account that not all CPU's have the same overclocking potential. Even CPU's with the same designation for example Barton 2600+ have very different OC potentials, depending on their stepping or a specific week of production. The thing is AMD only guarantees that your CPU will run at stock speeds, anything else over that is something that may or may not work. That is the reason why, when buying a certain CPU you should research what chips are the ones that people are having the most luck overclocking. As of recently the Athlon XP Barton 2500+'s and 2600+'s where the ones with the most potential, but even in these categories certain people could reach amazing speeds and others would fall short.
    I'm not completely sure about this, but I think AMD Barton 3000+ chips have less of a headroom to overclock. Generally Barton Athlon XP's will reach if you have extremely good air cooling around 2400MHz tops. If say you are able to overclock your 2600+ from 1917MHz to 2200 or 2300MHz, your overclocking margin is about 300 or 400MHz. On a Barton 3000+ it is very unlikely you will be able to maintain that overclocking margin. So probably the only way you could ever reach 2750MHz on a 3000+ is if you use set Vcore to 2.0V or more and use Phase changing as a cooling method, and even then that isn't a guarantee.

Now the reason the mobile chips have this enormous advantage is first because they are unlocked so you can play around with any combination of multiplierxFSB to reach your desired speed, and second, and this is actually the key to their amazing potential, is that they run at 1.45V Vcore. This is essential to their potential, because it means that they the absolut best of the 2600+ being produced. As I said before these are the same 2600+ Barton chips, but they are the best ones being produced, because they can work on such low voltages. So it's kinda like being able to order a chip with a guaranteed headroom for overclocking, which on all other chips is a question of luck.

So there you have, I hope that helps you in your quest to upgrade your system.
    -lite on 32x12x40x CDRW

Thanks much for your time and the amazing amount of information you gave me! ALso, thanks for the link to AMD. It appears that my 2600 is not overheating as they are gibing 80-90C* temps for max.

Hold on.

You should be careful about that heat issue. AMD is reporting that temp first of all as a diode temp. If the readings your getting are socket temps, which is what most Motherboards monitor, then be aware that they considerably below diode temps, I would say about 10C. From everything I've read, you should try keeping temps reported by Motherbaord under 55C at full load if don't want your CPU to die after a couple of months. AMD reports those temp limits as being the absolute dying point of the CPU, you want to keep away from that temp as much as you can. Keeping it under 50C is ideal. With the money you can save buying a mobile AMD 2600+ versus a 3000+ you should think of buying a very good Heatsink+fan. The best heatsinks available are

-Thermalright's SLK-947 or SP-97 or
    -Swiftech's MCX-462V

as far as fans go, try getting one that pushes at least 70CFM's, 92mm or 80mm size, both fit on these Heatsinks. Thermaltake has one that can be either set manually to different speeds or let a thermal probe adjust the speed automatically.

All of this should set you back about 160 bucks at sites like newegg vs 150 bucks for a 3000+. Think about it, I just recently ordered my AMD mobile 2500+ and a Swiftech heatsink. I'm looking to OC to 2400MHz and keep load temps under 50C.

Oh and another thing that is important, when OC'ing you should always test for stability using programs like Prime 95. Prime95 should run stable for at least a couple of hours to have a solid and stable configuration. After all it's not worth reaching amazing speeds if your system is constantly going to crash. That's my 2C anyway. Hope that helps.

As soon as I test my mobile AMD I'm going to start a new thread posting back with bechmarks, stability and temps reports.

I will try to do that before next week before, cause after that I'm taking a week off to go surfing 8) .
    -lite on 32x12x40x CDRW

All right. You talked me into it. Ordfered a 2600 mobile from newegg with extended warranty for 106.06 I hope you're right. Wanna buy a 3 month olf 2600+ Thoroughbred cheap?

No thanks. I was lucky to sell mine for about 90 bucks to a friend of mine in Costa Rica. Hey what he doesn't know won't kill him right? Why don't you try selling it over e-bay. I'm guessing lots of people haven't heard the buzz about these chips new chips anyway.
    If you want to feel more secure about what you bought there is a forum where lots of guys are talking about their experience. I'm not sure if it's against this forum's policy to do this, but I read a lot of reviews of people thrilled about their new overclocking machines over at www.amdmb.com
    Have a little faith man, cause my fingers are crossed too.
    -lite on 32x12x40x CDRW

Thread Information