Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Need lots of overclocking info for new computer

Hey, I've never really had overclocking experience before, and i'm looking to build a new machine. I'm going to get an AMD Mobile Athlon 2400+ or 2500+ since I heard they are so amazing at overclocking. I found the Speeze WhisperRock 2 fan and heat synk for $10, can move 38 CFM and got some pretty good reviews.
    For the motherboard i was looking at a shuttle nForce2 ultra 400 for $64, a Biostar nForce2 ultra 400 for $64, and a Gigabyte KT600 for $75 and a Gigabyte nForce2 ultra 400 for $77. I want a board that will provide a lot of flexability for me, obviously a temp sensor, and decent speed (i realize i won't have the fastest machine) but i don't have the money for that.
    Then for ram I want 512 mb. Is it worth spending the little extra money to get 2x256 and use the dual channel over the 1x512? Also, the chip is running at 333FSB, so some people told me it's pointless to get more than PC2700 ram, but if i overclock i don't want the ram holding me back so PC3200 should be worth it, right? Also, are certain brands better at OCing than others? I found some Corsair 512mb 3200 for $104, Mushkin 512 3200 for $100, OCZ pemier 256 3200 for $51. I know i'm throwing a lot out there, but I really need some direction. Right now I have a P3 1Ghz w/ 384 mb ram. So anything will be a huge increase. But money is definitley a factor too. Thanks for the help.

Motherboard: Stay far away from anything using the VIA KT600 chipset. Especially since you're looking at overclocking, you'll do far better with a nForce2 chipset. There are many good boards out there, so do a little research and see which one has the features you're going to want (inbred sound, NIC, Firewire... there are many possibilities).

Memory: Go with 2x256MB to make use of the dual channel capabilities of the nForce2 chipset. While the performance increase isn't huge, it does exist and seems senseless not to take advantage of it. PC3500 will probably be your best bet so you'll be able to take advantage of higher clock speeds and also lower latency settings within BIOS. OCZ and Corsair have both been getting excellent reviews for both of these areas.

Cooling: I'm not particularly fond of the Speeze line for performance systems. They make a decent cooler, but you're going to be stressing out your system above and beyond what it will likely put up with. And remember that case airflow is just as important as a good heatsink. Take a look at the Thermaltake line if you don't mind noise, otherwise you might take a look at some of the others out there.

Processor: Does the Mobile CPU use a Socket A format? I've been deep into case reviews and coolers for the past several weeks and haven't done any checking into this new fad, but it seems that if it is based on a Mobile platform, it should use something besides a standard socket A layout. Please correct me here if I'm out of date (very possible).
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

can you give me more info on what motherboards provide good overclocking control?
    i think i'm going to stick with 3200 ram just because of the cost, and the mobile processor does use a Socket A format.

how do i tell which heatsink/fan is best?

generally speaking any with the nForce2 Ultra 400 chipset will be good at overclocking. A lot of people are fond of these:

Abit NF7-S v2.0
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe/A7N8X-E Deluxe
    Epox 8RDA3+

have a look at them as they all have good features.
    in regard to heatsink/fan's, basically it comes down to whether you want it to be cool or quiet. there are several that have a good cooling vs. noise performance, such as the Thermaltake Silent Boost. have a look around.
    MSN Messenger - handy481@hotmail.com
    DC++ - handy481 :: Sweden Xperience :: BootCamp 02 :: Revolution xShare 01 :: Mp3Heaven

Quote Originally Posted by Darthtanion
    Processor: Does the Mobile CPU use a Socket A format?
    Yes. Here's one I may get myself:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...pa=0&section=1
    It starts out being worse than a regular desktop Barton for its price. However, with good overclocking it can top them.

You'll want to get some dual channel memory if your going with a board that supports it (which you most likely are, the Shuttle is probably your best bet). Look for sticks that say dual channel or for identical pairs packaged as one. PC3200 is good enough for the processor you're getting, although PC3500 would boost performance a bit.
    For HSF, Thermaltake is probably your best bet. Here's one I might get:
    http://www.xpcgear.com/ttvolcanoa1671.html
    Don't forget your thermal compound:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...100-007&depa=0
    Maybe a case with a 350w PSU.

If you get one of those Mobile Athlon XPs with good cooling and you'll do some nice OCing. :thumb:

Get an asus i like the p4c800e deluxe excellent when oc'ed. Also get the intel chipset for best performance and use a P4 great combo

Quote Originally Posted by ozleony
    Get an asus i like the p4c800e deluxe excellent when oc'ed. Also get the intel chipset for best performance and use a P4 great combo
    Ummm... AMD was the processor being purchased, not Intel.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Thread Information