Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P4 1.6AGHz overclock

I have a P4 1.6AGHz, Asus P4P800 M/B, 512MB PC 2700 DDR RAM, GeFORCE FX 5600 XT, can i overclock it to 2.0GHz or higher?

Yes..... I've read reviews where they got it up to 2.6GHz. So imagine it's more than possible. Actually you should be able to get it up to 2.0 right off the bat without some major cooling.

EDIT: Here's the review mentioned above. http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.c...id=1130&page=2

I have try to set it up to 2.49GHz (155FSBx16) using a original cooling fan. Is that I need to change the cooling fan with another brand? The temp of the CPU is 36'C and i set VCore vol to 1.55V. What cooling fan is better in the market? Thanks to give the information!

36C is a good temperature, so don't worry about that. Turn the voltage up, try setting it to 1.75V, if that doesn't work try increasing it until it becomes stable, usually the highest you can go is around 1.85V. Also, if you're overclocking your memory, you may need to increase your memory voltage to around 2.6 or 2.7 volts, to help stabilize it.

Unless you start getting temperatures over 50C, you don't need to change any of your cooling. 36C is pretty much normal.

Those "A" (Northwood) type processors can stand a very high overclock without causing temperature problems for the most part. Like that review I posted says, you shouldn't have any serious problems until you reach around 2.6GHz.

Actually, you increase the risk of the CPU crapping out if you go above 1.7V.
    Most 1.6A's do 2.4GHz pretty easy...and usually with stock voltage, or maybe a slight bump up. The stock cooler is great, so unless you want to go to water cooling, you're not going to find much else that does a noticeably better job.

Quote Originally Posted by Soyoman
    36C is a good temperature, so don't worry about that. Turn the voltage up, try setting it to 1.75V, if that doesn't work try increasing it until it becomes stable, usually the highest you can go is around 1.85V.
    We're not talking about AMD stupid.

As Morgan_Lander said, anything over 1.7v on the P4 can cause much harm to the CPU

Yeah well **** you, cause i'm running a P4 1.7GHz at 1.85V (it runs a default of 1.75V) and it's running stable at 1.9GHz. Not a single crash, lockup, or glitch.

Not everyone's machine runs the same, so just cause something works for you, that doesn't mean it'll work for someone else, STUPID.

Thanks all of that good opinion.....!!!!!!

Soyoman i run a P4 1.7ghz at 1.9ghz on stock voltage and cooling with absolutely no probs so if you wanna increase ur CPU's life you could prolly drop that voltage......

I could do that, but then it wouldn't be stable anymore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information