Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: 9800XT core speeds?

The core speed of my Radeon 9800Xt is running at 398.98MHz which is the core speed of a pro. Can anyone help me get it up to 412MHZ, what it is supposed to be at, without voiding the warranty?

And if there is no way i can avoid voding the warranty. what is the max core speed you could get a 9800 XT up to without frying the card?

Any overclocking will theoretically void the warranty of a retail card, so you always take a chance when playing with an overclocked peripheral. As to frying the board, that is very difficult as long as you use a little common sense when raising the clock speeds. Just take small jumps in speed and do some testing. You'll get graphical tearing and artifacts long before you come close to ruining the VPU on the board.

Concerning what to use to make the clock changes, I have always had good luck with Rage3D with ATi based boards. There are also several other useful utilities that can be used since most have their own personal favorite. A majority of these utilities can be found for free at www.guru3d.com so just find one that suits your needs and go from there.

Good luck! :D
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

how can you tell when you get graphical tearing and artifacts (wat are artifacts). Sorry this may sound stupid because im new to all this. thanks for the software help

Just look at the graphics as they are being displayed on the screen. Tearing is long patches of non-color that flick across the screen. It looks like the picture being displayed was torn and some of the strips are missing or out of place. Artifacts are simply single or small groups of pixels that are not the same color as they should be; usually white. It gives the display a fuzzy look and is easy to notice.

When you start getting this type of visual glitch, just back down the core or memory speed a tad and you'll be set. Oh, and it is best to start with a core overclock and then move on to memory. This way you'll know which is the culprit when you start getting artifacts on screen.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

I have the Asus 9800XT and I am getting artifacts. I guess it's not supposed to this. When I lower the core clock a bit it kind of disappears. I am using the asus smart doctor and it won't let me set memory any higher than 728MHz. The coreclock is at 411MHz when set a bit lower most of the artifacts disappear. When using Hyperdrive(overclocks when needed) it sets coreclock at 438MHz or 428 which i get a bunch of artifacts in 3DMark03. In some tests it is just on the moving objects others everywhere and sometimes in a checkerboard pattern. If you have any idea on how to get rid of this it will be great.

yeh thanks darthanion. i used ATI tool and my current core speed is 415MHZ and the memory clock is 380DDR or 760MHZ. No artifacts or anything. i jsut told it to find max core speed first and then max memory speed. took about 3 hours but its all good now. insane_machine try running ATI tool and then ask itr to find max core speed and if the current core speed has artifacts then it will lower the speed until it has no artifacts. Also disable Overdrive. i had it on and it kept f***ing up my computer. Overdrive is a piece of ****. cheers again darthanion

Thread Information