Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Can I overclock a Dell

ya its in there

That's not a bad setup, but I suggest you wait until socket 939 processors and motherboards start showing up at Newegg. Won't be long. Just start a thread in What Should I Buy when they do show up.

Don't ever go with Alienware (or any company, for that matter). You would likely get better results even if you found some guy you didn't know and had him build it. About $2000 US would probably get you better than anything Alienware offers.

cool, thanks guys. if i do ever get this project going i'll be sure to consult with you all about what all to do, and what to get.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joshuajames
    would that system be able to handle the game far cry?
    also, how does that compare to most of you guyses systems? anything you would change or add on, keep in mind i don't have the budget to go much over 2 thousand.
    Easily. That system would be able to handle absolutely anything you throw at it, and at least a year or two's worth of new releases

sweet.

Might i suggest that you go for hard drives with the same RPm so you can run them on Raid? Instead of having two separtate hard drives with different speeds? Also i suggest you get a 480W or 550W power supply becasue that graphics card will struggle on a 400W. I have a 480W PSU running a 9800 XT. I used to have a 400W Psu but it kept F*cking up. No problems with the 480W. Otherwise thats a sick setup

cool, thanks. i have seen on a couple sites that they sell raid controlers. do i need to buy one, if so any suggestions.

im not quite sure but i think that the raid controllers on the motherboard. Not sure so dont take my word for it

Quote Originally Posted by Amdking
    Might i suggest that you go for hard drives with the same RPm so you can run them on Raid? Instead of having two separtate hard drives with different speeds? Also i suggest you get a 480W or 550W power supply becasue that graphics card will struggle on a 400W. I have a 480W PSU running a 9800 XT. I used to have a 400W Psu but it kept F*cking up. No problems with the 480W. Otherwise thats a sick setup
    I agree on the bigger PSU idea. Although, it doesn't matter if the drivers are the same RPM, they need to be, or should be at least for best performance, identical on a RAID array. If I was going to RAID that setup, I'd keep the 160gb, and downgrade the 74gb Raptor to the 37.4gb model, and get two of the 37.4gb model and RAID them. I'd have to assume the mobo has built in SATA, and most likely SATA RAID, although its possible it doesn't.

If you can afford it, RAIDing two 74GB Raptors would be just about the best option for speed there is(without going SCSI). But let's just save all that for if and when he actually decides to get a new computer.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information