Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Radeon 9600 Overclock question

What's the best software for OCing this card? Also, what is involved with OCing the Hardware if anything at all?

MB = Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
    Dual Channelling DDR400 (2x512)
    AMD Athlon 3200+

Thanks,
    Mike

***EDIT***

P.S. Anyone OC this card before? If so, what are the limits I can expect from it, and will it really increase FPS in games to where it is even worth OCing at all? Thanks

I like Rage3D Tweak, but the latest Omega Drivers have a built in OC tool that seems to work alright. The Omega drivers seem to be a little better than ATi's Catalysts.

As far as extra noticable performance, that depends on what resolution you play at. Playing an FPS from 2001 @ 640x480, you're not likely to see any extra gain from it since the card isn't being stressed as is. On the other hand, if you're playing something like Far Cry @ 1024x768 and need a little extra boost to help smooth things out, overclocking can help.

I have no problems with ATI Tool, but I haven't tried some of the others.

As for the Radeon 9600, I do have one. It overclocks quite a bit, in fact. I put one in a year old Hewlett-Packard with no case fans and I OCed the memory up by 40MHz (80MHz effective) and the core by about 130MHz. It makes a huge difference. It took me some time to find a stable point as I would get no artifacts but the system would crash frequently (which may have been to to the Km366 chipset the machine uses). However I still OCed it quite a bit. It allowed me to turn on 2xAA and 4xAF for America's Army, along with 1024 x 768 resolution and improved in-game settings. If you OC it enough, that card should run any game on medium-high settings with acceptable FPS. Hell, mine can handle the Doom 3 beta quite nicely, and the rest of the system sucks.

Cool, I did download Rage3d and mess around with it. So far I can't get the Mem clock to OC much at all.

Mem clock starts at 202.5, I tried putting it upto 220.5 and it freezes on games and Aqua3D.

My 9600 is made by ATI, and it has NO fan on the heat sink. I guess I am going to have to slap a fan on it or a "Slot Fan" right under it so it will OC more than I can get right now.

From the little bit of OCing I did, I got the Core up to 360 from 324, and the Mem up to 218.25 from 202.5. I didn't notice much of a difference with those settings.

I am just wondering if can get it OCed enough to see a nice difference, in reference to making it close to a 9600 Pro quality.

Mike

Oooh.... an ATI card. I guess they don't OC very well. Mine's a Sapphire with a fan which is probably why it OCs so much higher than yours.

With your current overclock you should see some difference, depending on the game. If you were only getting around 30 FPS, you won't get much. If you were getting over 30, you could play with higher framerates or turn on some more eye candy in-game or in the control panel.

But get yourself some more cooling stuff and you'll see that thing get above Pro quality.

Oi mate im not sure if you have to with this card but u might need to flash the card so the overclocked speeds stay cause i know u have to with my 9800XT. Everytime i restarted the computer i lost my overclocked timing and the core speed and memory clock went back to default

Use ATITool it has some nice features like to remember the settings you set so don't have to keep changing it everytime you reboot.HEre is a limk for it

http://atitool.ocfaq.com/

EDIT:just thought of something else if your not using any 3D apps you can underclock your so it lasts longer. It also lowers overall temp :D. It also automatically switches profiles for all you lazy people(like me)

insane_machine i use ATI tool and i save everything when i overclock but it doesn't remeber the settings each time i reboot. just sets them back to default.

did you use the Profiles for 2d and 3d. Also you have AtiTool start up every time otherwise it doesn't work.

Thread Information